BA

Bits: Big Avios / Kaligo promo tomorrow, the bizarre Priority Pass vending machine at City

News in brief:

Exclusive Head for Points / Kaligo.com Avios offer starts tomorrow

If you are looking to make some hotel bookings at the moment, I strongly recommend waiting until tomorrow.  We will be launching an EXCLUSIVE Avios promotion in association with hotel booking site Kaligo.com.

You will be able to earn up to 10,000 bonus Avios on your forthcoming stays.

Visit HFP tomorrow to find out the full details.

London City has a Priority Pass vending machine …. but no lounge

Reader Tony sent me the photo below of a Priority Pass vending machine!

Yes, it is odd.  Is there really a market for a machine vending £69 – £233 Priority Pass airport lounge membership cards?

What is really bizarre is where he found this machine.

London City Airport.

The airport with no lounge unless you pay to use the lounge in the Private Jet Centre next door which we reviewed here.  And it isn’t in Priority Pass anyway!  There could be a few confused / annoyed Priority Pass customers out there.

The Hilton Honors Platinum Visa has closed to new applicants - what now?
Bits: BA lounge access expanded; stay the night in the Virgin lounge

Comments

1. JamesR says:

In regards to Kaligo… there’s a X2 promo on at the moment too.. a hotel I’ve got my eye on is giving me 16,000 for a 4 night £400 stay..

Should I still wait? Because that promo runs out tomorrow.

• Can you reserve it at all on a fully refundable basis? 16,000 points is still good and would be a shame if you went double-or-quit and end up with the quits on an already good offer.

• Tricky. We will be offering 8,000 bonus Avios – on top of the standard earnings – for a £700 COMBINED spend over a period. If you are only spending £400 and don’t see an option to book another £300 of rooms (by end March for stays until 31/12) then take the current deal.

2. Kiran says:

OT – AmEx cross referrals. I’m trying to refer from an SPG card to a BAPP but my referee and myself can’t see anywhere on either the e-mail or web page the link takes you to where you can select another card. Does this only work if you are referring from an MR-based card?

3. RussellH says:

Anyone else get a new offer from Billhop?

Refer a friend and get a £500 of fee free transfers. Friend gets £250 fee free. Refer three friends and get £1500 fee free etc.

I have not looked at the website, just quoting from their e-mail.

• Yeah, I got it. A send to many it seems. Sounds quite good, though the savings are quite small. Every little helps I suppose.

4. OT- Etihad offering 20% bonus conversions of points from HSBC, accor, IHG & Hilton through March

• Have you seen any reverse offers? Need to use about 20,000 EY points due to expire soon and looking for options before the last resort option of simple cashing out

• Cashing out is not a bad deal because the weak £ makes PointsPay more attractive than it was.

• Thanks, I guess that we will have to end up with that anyways… Wanted to use them on Garuda regional flights but availability is poor and booking process is too tedious

5. JamesB says:

OT: There is a buy miles promotion on at Alaska. Superb for anybody wanting to explore Japan as an add on to an Asia trip. JAL business class is just 25k A-Japan stopover-B for regional flights including midhaul 6h+ flights to BKK, KUL and SIN. Many of these are overnight flights so flat bed comes in handy and saves on expensive Japan hotels with early am arrivals and late pm departures. There has been quite a lot of comments on Japan and Asia on HFP recently so I thought this was worth mentioning.

6. KevMc says:

O/T – Mandarin Oriental have finally launched their own loyalty program, and called it ‘Fans of MO’

You can sign up using the link, below:

The benefits seem to be quite decent, and presumably they are trying to get more people to book direct rather than through FHS, Amex etc.

You get complimentary wifi, a welcome amenity, as well as:

FANS WHO BOOK ONLINE MAY SELECT TWO ADDITIONAL PRIVILEGES SUCH AS:
    Early Check-in
    Start your stay a little earlier, from 12pm.

Late Check-out
    Stay a little longer. We would be more than delighted to extend your stay with us until 4pm.

Daily Breakfast
    We want to give you the best start to each day, therefore breakfast is on us.

Dining or Spa Credit
    Indulge yourself with a credit towards a relaxing spa treatment or an innovative dining experience.

Room Upgrade
    When you visit, we’ll do our very best to give you the best.

Streaming WiFi
    Download, play games and stream as much as you wish.

Celebratory Treat
    Let us help you make your celebration memorable.

Pressing Services
    We’ll make sure you look sharp, with complimentary pressing or laundering of your favourite item.

7. David says:

OT – BA LGW Lounge. I may well have missed this somewhere along the line, but when did the champagne become serve yourself? I’m here now and the member of staff looked at me in horror when I asked for some, not realising it was there for the taking!

• Stu N says:

Months ago, bottles sitting in the coolers with the white wine. It’s an anomoly in the lounge network as everywhere else you have to ask for it.

8. BlueHorizonUK says:

OT – Amex Platinum benefits.

Trying to sign up my partner to the platinum benefits (SPG etc) but for the life of me I cant see where I can do this. When I log into the site and choose enrolment it only gives the option for me and not the additional cardholder. If I log in as the additional cardholder it defaults back to me again.

Using Safari on Mac if this makes any difference.

• They’ve changed the system to make it more stupid. Your partner now needs to create their own Amex account for their supp card. Once this is done they can log in at americanexpress.co.uk/platinum and order their supp cards.

9. Mark1980 says:

OT but my father-in-law is still stuck on the tarmac at Manchester Airport when he should have taken off for a flight to Spain this morning. Will he be eligible for EU261 or does this count as an extraordinary event? Thanks.

10. Steve says:

Does anyone know how (or if I can) book a reward/Avios flight to arrive and depart from two distinct US cities/locations?

It’s possible that I am being thick but I can’t see that this is doable via ba.com or Avios……

Thanks

• You need to call. You could book it as 2 x one ways but the taxes (when flying to NA) cost more than a return.

11. @mkcol says:

OT: The Mothership was due to fly with DY today EDI-OSL. Despite the airport being open the flight was cancelled. The aircraft was due in from New York Stewart, but that rotation yesterday & overnight last night was cancelled.
    Can DY deny EU261 compo?
    Does anyone know where on their site to claim it, as it’s not overly clear when I’ve had a poke around.

• I doubt it would be tough to blame it on the weather. Even if the airport was open flow would have been reduced I assume.