News: Big Avios / Kaligo promo tomorrow, the bizarre Priority Pass vending machine at City

News in brief:

Exclusive Head for Points / Kaligo.com Avios offer starts tomorrow

If you are looking to make some hotel bookings at the moment, I strongly recommend waiting until tomorrow.  We will be launching an EXCLUSIVE Avios promotion in association with hotel booking site Kaligo.com.

You will be able to earn up to 10,000 bonus Avios on your forthcoming stays.

Visit HFP tomorrow to find out the full details.

London City has a Priority Pass vending machine …. but no lounge

Reader Tony sent me the photo below of a Priority Pass vending machine!

Yes, it is odd.  Is there really a market for a machine vending £69 – £233 Priority Pass airport lounge membership cards?

What is really bizarre is where he found this machine.

London City Airport.

The airport with no lounge unless you pay to use the lounge in the Private Jet Centre next door which we reviewed here.  And it isn’t in Priority Pass anyway!  There could be a few confused / annoyed Priority Pass customers out there.

The UK Hilton Honors Platinum Visa credit card has closed to new applicants - what now?
Here's the full HFP index of articles for February 2018

Comments

1. Julian says:

Presumably someone somewhere decided that because London City has a higher percentage of Business passengers or otherwise sophisticated singles or couples than almost any other airport this made it a good place to trial a dedicated Priority Pass machine, in spite of the lack of a Business Class lounge for regular scheduled (i.e. non private jet) passengers) at that airport.

Or was the idea perhaps that as London City has no business lounge itself this would make those passengers keener to sample the novelty of business lounges at the return airport on their way home. Also the other logical point is that as London City has no business lounge of its own then perhaps many of its customers have worked out there is no point in buying a Business Class return ticket but feel it is worth having a way of access the Business lounge at the return airport without often having to shell out more than the total cost of the annual unlimited use Priority Pass to buy a Business Class ticket…………….

Also At most other airports the majority of passengers will have no idea what a Business lounge actually is and nor would regular users of those lounges welcome access being marketed to the parents of loud and leery passengers with badly behaved children who would normally through ignorance happily remain in the Cattle Class lounge.

2. Am I the only one that got all excited there and thought that they might have installed a vending machine that accepts priority pass rather than one that sells them?

• ebungle says:

LOL, I didn’t, but I like the way you are thinking.

• Jordan D says:

I thought the very same!

• Alex W says:

Me too. I had visions of swiping my PP and mini bottles of champagne dropping out ????

• Yes I thought this would be dispensing something as a fairly crass yet novel solution to those airports without a PP lounge. Even a bottle of water would be better than nothing!

• Lumma says:

Would be an expensive bottle of water if you didn’t have an unlimited visit priority pass 🙂

3. Roger says:

OT-Marriott Travel Package

I posted yesterday about two of the Marriott in Singapore.
    Tang Plaza has been more forth coming and would probably end up there for a week.
    I am still trying to convince myself whether that is a good use of another 30000 SPG points (240K total MR points). Note this includes booking for two adults and two kids.

Any experience of upgrading Marriott travel package travel package and advice on pros and cons?

• Jonny says:

Personally I find the higher category Marriotts as better value point redemptions – modest point difference can often translate into a much better hotel (and better value per point).

• JamesB says:

Would be Barnet to stay 7 nights in Singapore, 7 hours is perfect. All you need is a free transit tour.

4. Roger says:

Also, any ideas on how do I qualify for points saver rewards?
    Std stay requires 40000 points per night (for 7 nights it is 240 k – due to 5th night free).
    However pointsaver only requires 35000 points (a saving of 30000 marriott or 10k SPG points)

Appreciate any thoughts on this.

• ankomonkey says:

I think Pointsaver prices are offered by certain hotels at certain times. As far as I know, everyone is eligible to book hotels at the Pointsaver prices. The key to this is that the hotel is offering them. I have no idea how it’s decided which hotels are in Pointsaver at any point in time.

• Alex W says:

I don’t think you can mix a travel package with points saver. Due the miles you get, travel package is surely better value.

5. Walty says:

Anyone else detest folks who jump in and start Off Topic threads!?

No, its a bits thread and therefore the most appropriate place to ask a question / add a comment. You just stick to your option B if it annoys you so much.

6. Lumma says:

Or you could just ignore something that you’re not interested in?

One of the best things about this site is that you can find out valuable information about this hobby from both Rob and other commenters who have superb knowledge on this subject. If the off topic comments were truly off topic (talking about last night’s television/recent sporting events, etc.) then you could have a point but I like the site the way it is.

7. Go for option B if you feel so strongly about this.

Bits/comments/OT keep me coming back to this site a few times a day, and are sometimes more useful than the article itself (sorry Rob!).

8. ebungle says:

I agree it is very annoying.

Btw I just bought a new car.

9. Andrew_A says:

OT – BA Companion Voucher
    My OH just hit over 10K spend on the free BA Card and upgraded to the BAPP card, her year end is not for another 6 weeks. The BA Companion voucher has landed in her account but is only valid for one year and we were assuming it should be two. I thought I had read recently of this happening to someone else but can’t find the post. Should she contact Amex regarding this or are we stuck with it?
    Incidentally, she received 6000 bonus points for the upgrade as well.
    Thanks

• Optimus Prime says:

I think you have tu upgrade to BAPP before hitting the 10K target in order to get the voucher with 2-year validity.

• Andrew_A says:

Thanks. I was hoping that wasn’t the case as we just went over the 10K a few days before she upgraded.

• No, that’s not the case. At least it wasn’t for me last year when I upgraded. I hit £10k, upgraded a few days later. Got the voucher with 1 year validity, but I complained to both BA and Amex and they manually processed it (in about two-three weeks). They said it is in IT issue and I am entitled to 2-year one. You will need to call as it can’t be solved via Amex chat.

• sedgie252 says:

In 2017 I upgraded to the BAPP card just before my free card year end after spending £17k (I wasn’t going to make it to £20k) and got a voucher with 2-year validity.

10. wally1976 says:

OT – offer on my Amex Gold or £100 off £300 spend at Pride of Britain Hotels. Never heard of them personally but might be useful to someone!

Save to Card to get a £100 statement credit on eligible spend of £300+ in participating hotel(s) at Pride of Britain Hotels by 25/5/2018. Valid once per Card for the first 15,000 Cardmembers to save. Terms, location & payment restrictions apply.
    See Participating Locations
    OFFER TERMS
    Book and pay by the offer end date.
    Available in participating hotel(s).
    Only one credit per UK Card.
    Offer only applies to spend made in Great British Pound (GBP) on the Card to which the offer is saved, including an American Express Card loaded into a mobile payment wallet.
    Offer does not apply to spend on other Cards you might hold and is not valid for transactions made using Payment Aggregators.
    An awarded credit may be reversed if qualifying transaction is refunded or cancelled.
    Credit should appear on your billing statement within 5 days from qualifying spend but may take up to 90 days from 25/5/2018.
    For full Offer Terms and more details about statement credits click here.
    By saving the offer to your Card, you agree to the Offer Terms.

• wally1976 says:

Participating Hotels:

The Arch London, 50 Great Cumberland Place, London, W1H 7FD
      Ellenborough Park, Southam Road, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, GL52 3NJ
      Glenapp Castle Hotel, Ballantrae, Ayrshire, KA26 0NZ
      Seaham Hall, Lord Bryon’s Walk, Seaham, Country Durham, SR7 7AG
      Sopwell House, Cottonmill Lane, St Albans, Hertfordshire, AL1 2HQ
      Swan at Lavenham, High Street, Lavenham, Suffolk, C010 9QA
      Whatley Manor, Easton Grey, Malmesbury, Wiltshire, SN16 0RB

• Lumma says:

Seaham Hall, although not quite as good as it was a decade ago (when I worked there 🙂 ha), is still one of the best hotels in the north east. So if that’s the stanďard of hotel, it could be a worth while deal

• Whatley Manor is very, very plush. No kids allowed.

• Tilly says:

Sopwell House and The Swan at Lavenham very nice.

11. Could it be a case of putting a cart in front of a horse and just an indication of a PP lounge to be opened very soon at LCY? Rob, you should investigate!