Hilton

How to earn miles and get 10% off your first ride globally with Blacklane

Blacklane is, to some extent, the Uber of high end airport transfers – although Uber, of course, runs high-end cars itself in many cities including London.

You can find out more on their website here.

Long-term readers may remember that we ran a competition with Blacklane back in 2015.  It is a fast growing global provider of ground transportation services, now operating in 250 cities across 50 countries.  Via its website or app, you can pre-order a vehicle for a specific trip or by the hour.

The company was founded in Germany in 2011 with a plan to globalise what was previously a very fragmented industry.  Travellers can now book vehicles worldwide from just one website or app, and Blacklane is integrated into distribution systems such as Amadeus to make it easy for business travellers.

When I tested it, pricing for a Mercedes E-Class or equivalent from my house to Heathrow was virtually the same as using Uber, with the added benefit that your Blacklane trip is pre-booked and the price is guaranteed irrespective of traffic.

Over the last year or so, Blacklane has been quietly adding a number of frequent flyer partners.  This now makes it an attractive way of picking up a few miles if you are allowed to book your own ground transport.

Blacklane discount promo voucher code

The current airline partners are:

Asia Miles (2 per £/$/€ spent)

Flying Blue (2 per £/$/€ spent)

Miles & More (2 per £/$/€ spent)

Qatar Privilege Club (1 per £/$/€ spent)

Enrich (Malaysia Airlines) (2 per £/$/€ spent)

There is a drop-down box during the booking process for you to add your frequent flyer details.  You can also create a profile in the Blacklane system which will automatically apply your details.

Note that you need to pre-book your ride at least an hour in advance to earn airline miles.

And get 10% off your first ride

For a limited period, Blacklane is offering 10% off your first ride.  You need to use promo code BL10.

Blacklane has a slightly odd way of entering promotional codes.  You will be presented with a page asking for your credit card details.  After you type them in, there is an additional screen which asks if you have a voucher code.  Add BL10 on that page and 10% is deducted from your quote.

Your card is not charged until after the ride and you can cancel until 1 hour before pick-up.

Conclusion

With five frequent flyer partners now, Blacklane is a good opportunity to pick up a few hundred miles here and there from your airport transfers or other ground transport needs.

It is a shame that neither Avios, Virgin Flying Club or any of the major hotel programmes are partners as that would make it more relevant to UK residents, but I know that many of you have Flying Blue and/or Miles & More accounts.

You can book or find out more about Blacklane on their website here.

Bits: who won the 250,000 Qmiles?, Miles & More moves to revenue-based earning today
Avios Ireland: Double Avios in AerClub with SuperValu

IHG
IHG

Comments

1. Quark999 says:

“pricing for a Mercedes E-Class or equivalent from my house to Heathrow“ – is that true for anyone else? It’s roughly twice as much as an UberLux for me, and still £12 more than AddisonLee or £5 more than their Executive…

• Quark999 says:

Cut off the Uber comparison bit in the quote there…

• I guess it all depends on where you live. I’ve not been able to get Blacklane to be cheaper than Uber or Addlee. That said I have times where Addlee is a better option than Uber because it’s a fixed price, some of the routes I do the Addlee fixed price is lower than what Uber would tend to work out as once you factor in the extra fees added for being stuck in traffic. Addlee also give 5 minutes free waiting time.

So most of the time I’ll now use Addlee if it’s not much more than the Uber estimate because often the actual Uber cost is more. That said when I got an Uber to LHR very early on a Saturday morning the lack of traffic made for both a cheap and delightful journey. I’ve never reached Heathrow so fast 🙂

2. Hi Rob,
    Just to let you know, I normally get 3 e-mails a day from you but for some reason over the past couple of days I have only been getting 2 out of 3. FYI

• Anika wrote:
      As a reminder, our coverage of Avios Ireland (AerClub) is exclusively on the Head for Points website. You will not receive these articles via our daily emails unless it is a deal which UK residents can take part in.

• There was an issue with Blacklane today. Will check what happened yesterday, I could well have not spotted a Sunday issue.

• Perfect. I got it through at 10.18am.

• Sunday emails went out OK it seems, so if one of those didn’t appear it got spam-trapped, possibly at ISP level.

Blacklane turns out to be my fault – I was playing with the email software yesterday and did not reset it properly.

3. over double the price of a regular uber from my house to heathrow. i live NW11

• Frenske says:

Yes I was quoted £85 to get to Gatwick next week. I think I’ll stick to my local one for £37. Even if I went for a luxe car it would be only £57.

4. Anthony says:

Last year I was using Uber to get back from Heathrow, but saw an advert for Blackline on Instagram and thought I would give them a go – never again.

Despite them being more expensive than Uber, the driver stank of smoke and the car was a mess. I emailed Blackline to raise these issues, as the service was clearly not what I had been expecting – barely got a sorry.

5. euros yay! We shall see re the miles!

Priced it up for a simple Valencia pick up in April and it was almost 125 pct more than Uber. Similar for one In Berlin

Following up others comments re Heathrow pricing. Not sure I can be bothered to constantly check to make sure Im not getting ripped off for a handful of miles.

• Mr Dee says:

If you mean Valencia in Spain then there is no Uber but they have mytaxi and it has been less than 20 euros to the airport from the centre, quote with blacklane it is 4 times the price.

6. Blacklane are on my (quite extensive) never use again list… if you do use them just hope that you never have recourse to their customer “service” team.

7. Left stranded (well I got a cab) with terrible customer service ( Blacklane repeatedly told me when calling that the driver was just round the corner) the last and only time I’ve tried to use them (at JFK). Its definitely not an uber as basically they lead generate for local firms and they and you little real time diagnostics on their cars.