BA sale

Marco Polo Club at Venice Airport joins Priority Pass

The Marco Polo Club airport lounge at Venice has (re)joined Priority Pass.

I have used this lounge numerous times as a British Airways status cardholder.  The main benefit is the size – it is big.  That said, I always found it fairly crowded in peak season because some US airlines run long-haul flights to Venice with a lot of premium passengers.  The decor is poor and food limited, although one comment  below suggests things have changed since I was last there in August.

It is also available to anyone with a free Lounge Club pass from their American Express Preferred Rewards Gold card or a Mastercard World Elite LoungeKey pass.  You can get two free Priority Pass cards, each admitting two people to a participating lounge, with the American Express Platinum charge card.

Marco Polo lounge Venice airport

Getting airport lounge access via a UK credit card

As a reminder, here are the three options to get FREE airport lounge access via a credit or charge card:

The Platinum Card from American Express

Two free Priority Pass cards (one for you, one for your supplementary Platinum cardholder, each admitting two – so a family of four gets in free) giving access to every lounge in the Priority Pass network – search it here.  You also get access to Plaza Premium, Delta and Eurostar lounges.  Our American Express Platinum review is here.

American Express Preferred Rewards Gold

You get a Lounge Club card loaded with two free visits to any Lounge Club network lounge – see the list here.  The list is slightly shorter than the Priority Pass list, but not by much.  Additional visits are charged at £20 per person.  You get two more free visits for every year you keep the card.  No annual fee in Year 1.  Full details are in our American Express Preferred Rewards Gold review here.

HSBC Premier World Elite Mastercard

You get a free LoungeKey card allowing you access to any property in the LoungeKey network.  Guests are charged at £20 although regular travellers will find it cheaper to pay £60 for a supplementary credit card (adults only, of course).  The card has an annual fee of £195 and there are strict financial requirements to become a HSBC Premier customer.  Full details are in my HSBC Premier World Elite Mastercard review.

Why Virgin's new Economy Delight fares can be excellent value for money
That Hilton / Amex / Facebook competition ....

Comments

1. OT if I have BA Premium card and send my OH a referral and he clicks through then selects the Gold Amex will I still get a referral bonus?

2. John Pagani says:

I won the the competition but refused the prize because I’m travelling this week so you were absolutely right! It pays to follow hfp!

• Chris Palmer says:

There seems to have been at least 3 winners (mentioned in the post and comments)..!

• We have told Hilton that they should do an event just for HFP readers, as we hijack them anyway and they would get more PR that way!

3. Genghis says:

9k avios?

4. Very much OT (& apologies if you have flagged this previously Rob) but I have just booked a number of tours / excursions via Aviator and using the Avios landing page. Currently paying 14 Avios for every £1 of expenditure which didn’t seem too shabby at all to my mind.

I’ve booked a number of tours via Viator in the past and whilst it’s very much dependent on how good the tour operator or firm on the ground is, this strikes me as pretty good value – worth it if you are considering booking some trips before you fly/travel.

Typically usually 7 Avios per £ I believe, offer runs until month end.

• you can also get Marriott points (higher rate I believe) at Marriott MORE. It depends which you want.

5. OT: Received Avios/Tesco email today:

“Thank you for entering our recent competition by turning your Tesco Clubcard vouchers into Avios.
    You are the lucky winner of 5,500 Avios
    You don’t need to do anything to claim your prize, 5,500 Avios will be credited to your account in the next 28 days.”

I converted 45,000 avios over the period.

6. Chris L says:

OT: now that I have earned my BAPP Companion Voucher, can I downgrade to the free card until the new membership year and receive a pro rate refund, and also keep the voucher’s 24 month expiry date?

7. Alistair says:

OT – I have an Air France flight LHR-CDG on Friday which now looks like it may be cancelled due to AF staff calling for strike action on Friday (there’s a national strike in France on Thursday).

I have 50k Flying Blue miles due to expire in a couple of weeks, which I was why I was using AF for this flight. Assuming my flight (not with AF) out of CDG on Saturday isn’t affected then I’ll be away on holiday and unable to take another AF flight until after my flying blue miles expire.

Am I ever likely to get them not to expire my miles?

Worst case, what’s the best option for exchanging or using flying blue miles in a hurry?

8. Darren says:

OT, BA redemption dynamic pricing.

Just checking BA HKG redemptions and noticed that in Feb 2019 I was quoted 165000 rather than the usual 150000.

On the BA redemption finder site the off peak/peak option is greyed out from 2019.

Have I missed the role out of this or is it common knowledge?

• Darren says:

Should say these were tagged as offpeak on BA.com

• Off peak dates are showing fine in the booking engine above the dates.

• Darren says:

The specific dates were 4th to 18th Feb, CW both ways, both tagged as off peak.
        Tried again and the journey summary was 165000.

• JamesB says:

Booked an off peak CW seat for January 20th, everything was as expected.

9. o/t – a quick thank-you to all on here.

Just back from our first real HFP inspired holiday. We managed to cram in these offers…

£50 off £200 on Amex travel (EK economy flights)
    5 nights points redemption at Habtoor Grand. (5 nights for price of 4)
    Amex plat for SPG Gold = Marriott gold = executive lounge (breakfast, afternoon tea and free alcoholic drinks 6-8pm)
    Upgrade to 1 bedroom club suite.
    Held on to plat a little longer than needed to use airport lounges in UK and DXB.
    Travel insurance through platinum also.
    Curve card used everywhere in Dubai, linked to Hilton Visa.

After all of the above, my favourite achievement was using Deliveroo (with signup bonus) for Five Guys delivery to the pool for lunch – cheaper than a single cheese toastie at the pool bar!

Thanks again to all – now for planning the next one!

10. OT: I need £500 more spend on BAPP to trigger my 241 voucher. Q1. any good MS ideas? I’m thinking oyster topup and supermarket gift cards… Q2. if the purchase that triggered the voucher is refunded after voucher is triggered, would the 241 voucher be revoked? Thanks!

• I don’t know about the refund but I suspect there will be something in place to stop people doing this deliberately. You might just go into minus avios for next time. Not sure what they would do if you’d already used the voucher!

A good way of hitting your target – if your council takes PayPal it’s a new council tax year in 10 days. Otherwise gift cards for shops you use a lot (or Amazon top ups), or buy Xmas & birthday presents in advance.

• There aren’t many good sources of MS in this country. I don’t know if anyone has had any success with buying gold (not jewellery) and re-selling it when the price goes up? I know you can buy relatively small amounts as an investment but i’m not confident enough to do it!

• No, not revoked. However if the refund goes into your new card year then it increases the spend needed next year, so you would have a £10500 target and not £10000.

• Darren says:

I triggered a 241 a couple of months early when I had a refund, then paid for something but the refund was not taken into account. So yes it’s possible but not in the spirit of it.

• Not sure if you have kids or not but parentpay works for me. I top it up using my amex and use it to pay school lunches, school trips etc. Only good if your school uses it though 🙂

11. OT
    I want to travel LON-NYC on BA.

I have 40k amex points and 3k avios. I’ve not bought any points. My flights will be a shade over £1k for 2 people in economy. Can anybody suggest the cheapest way to book these flights?

Thanks

• Simon before you commit at those prices for economy check Dublin to US as prices in economy can be very low. You can use your Avios for RFS to Dublin.