Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

American Express backtracks on changes to Preferred Rewards Gold referral bonuses

Yesterday we wrote about apparent changes to the referral bonus on American Express Preferred Rewards Gold and Gold Business charge cards.

Instead of receiving 22,000 Membership Rewards points on hitting the spend target, the rules had been changed to say that you had to wait five months to receive your bonus.

As soon as our story appeared, American Express changed their website.

American Express Preferred Rewards Gold

The Preferred Rewards Gold referral rules (click here) now say, as they used to:

“Please note, bonus points will appear in two instalments of 2,000 and 20,000 and can take up to four weeks to be awarded to your Account.”

The Gold Business charge card has NOT changed back click here to see.  It still says:

“Please note, bonus points will appear in two instalments of 2,000 and 20,000. You will receive 2,000 points when you reach £1,000 spend – these points will appear on your fifth statement.”

It isn’t clear what is happening here.  Did someone at Amex make a mistake, or was a change rolled out early by mistake?  Only time will tell.

Comments (94)

• Jimbob says:

OT – planning 20th wedding anniversary long weekend break in NY, budget reasonably generous, can anyone give me some personal recommendations for nice hotels?
    Thanks

• Dan says:

Really enjoyed soho house when we stayed there a couple of years back. This was the middle of a heatwave in June, so the rooftop pool was stupidly busy, great decor / rooms / dining options, and they come round every evening and make a pre-dinner cocktail in you room!

Was about £400 per night if memory serves, which isn’t horrific for somewhere nice in Manhattan.

• Rob says:

Soho House (meatpacking) suite if summer.

• Darren says:

The Greenwich, The James and Crosby Street.

• Darren says:

If you need restaurant recs then Gramercy Tavern and Locande Verde are nice. Or Eleven Madison Park if it’s very special (pricey).

• Dartmouth says:

OT- Now that Airportr doesn’t pick up luggage for collection at Heathrow – I was looking to use Transferbags. Does anyone have any experience of using them? Or any alternative for the London area?

• Reeferman says:

Airport does still offer this service – coincidentally, I asked them just this week. They replied:
      If you would like to do it yourself you would have to enter your flight details or a flight departing on the same day similar to yours on the website when making your booking and when the driver comes you can tell him you would like your bags to be reassigned meaning you will collect them at your departure terminal before your flight. Using this service you will not need to show driver your boarding pass as you will not be checking your bags onto a flight.
      UNQUOTE
      Obviously a ridiculous system – and I have no idea why the on-line booking option has been removed. I gather a booking can also be made via the phone.

• Dartmouth says:

That seems ridiculous. I was told absolutely not a few days ago. The reviews for Transferbags is absolutely shocking! Better go back to Airportr again!

• Reeferman says:

I totally agree – a crazy system. Regardless, I’ve made a booking and will see what happens. I’ve kept a copy of the “procedure” as sent by Airportr so if there’s an issue when they come to pick-up the bags, I hope it will be sorted.
          My booking is for 9th April – will report back.

• Dartmouth says:

I am due to fly on the 28th of March – will come back as well.

• JS says:

It is saying ‘PROMO’ is not a valid code for an £830 flight.

Any reason why this is?

• Rob says:

No idea, as long as the flight starts in the UK. I assume full T&Cs are on Opodo, we didn’t get them.

• Marta says:

Can I self refer myself to Amex Gold Business if I have Amex Gold personal?

• Rob says:

You can’t get a Business bonus if you have a personal card. You may get the bonus yourself for making the referral.