BA Sale

BA changes lounge access rules for Easter

British Airways has changed its lounge access rules over Easter, but only for Gold members.  (Although, oddly, neither my wife nor I were emailed about this although some Gold members were.)

Until 15th April, a Gold member can bring up to five extra guests.

There is a snag though – you need to use Galleries Club and not Galleries First, which also means that Heathrow travellers cannot use the private security line at the First Wing.  At Heathrow Terminal 3, you cannot use fast-track security either.

The offer is only valid at Heathrow and Gatwick.

Here's the full HFP index of articles for March 2018
Radisson Blu and Park Inn advance booking sale now on

Comments

1. Matt B says:

OT – Just signed my dad up as a supplementary cardholder for my amex platinum. The card arrived today, should be also get his own priority pass card? Other than the 5000 bonus points, the reason did this was because i was hoping my parents could make use of the lounge access on their upcoming trip to Australia in economy.

So assuming he does get one, which lounge would you recommend for Heathrow T4?

They have some time in Abu Dhabi but I believe as flying with Ethiad they won’t have any options for T3? Is it walkable to another terminal?

• Plaza Premium

• Yes he should get one. I upgraded to Platinum, forgetting that my OH was a (unused) cardholder on my Gold account. His Amex card arrived on the same day as mine, then both our Priority Passes arrived a few days later.

• Anna, shame you forgot to take him off your Gold before upgrading. Then you could have added him as your 1st supp and got a further 5k…hope l remember to do this, as l will be upgrading in July.

• Polly – is there a special link to add the plat supp to get the 5k, or is it one of those that sometimes happens automatically, and other times never at all ?

• Genghis says:

Just apply from within own Amex acct

• I know, amateur ????

• Polly says:

Tom1, just don’t add the OH when you are actually applying. Add them a week or so later l think is the trick. It worked out that way for our Gold. 3k was added promptly. No invites or nothing…waiting on 1k now for my being added to the OH SPG card. ..every little helps as they say….

2. Eugene says:

Yea I used Plaza P. at T4 last week for first time and it was a big improvement on the T5 Aspire scrum

3. Nice try BA but Qantas does this as a matter of course (for first lounge as well)

4. googley bear says:

Shamelessly OT: Does anyone know when HSBC Prem credit card bonus hits after spending 2k?

5. It should hit immediately, but they have this problem with their own t and C SAYING ITS A 12 MONTH Bonus, AND SOME PEOPLE DIDNT GET IT UNTIL THE DOT OF 12 MTHS OR AFTER. BY WHICH TIME THEY THEN WERE TIED TO A 2ND FEE YEAR WITH NO pro rata refund if they wanted to cancel. It so so bad that the Csa don’t even know the rules of their own card. Many of us had this battle last year, and eventually some of us had the fee refunded. It’s only worth having this card if you have a lot of visa mc spend. Reluctantly we kept it, and will face the same battle again this July. Wish you luck when you call them up. Saying that it’s the best earning free card, but l am talking about the Elite. Been hours of discussion on this one issue the past year.

6. Andrew says:

OT travelling from Heathrow T5 (A gates) tomorrow at 13.20. Travelling economy and no status so no lounge or fast track – any idea how long I should allow to get through security and ideally just go straight to the gate? Never travelled on a BH weekend before… my hunch is Sunday wouldn’t be that busy but no idea really! Thanks in advance.

• Andrew says:

It’s a domestic btw if that makes any difference.

• Andrew says:

Give yourself plenty of time.

There will be plenty of families who have waited until Sunday to avoid the peak exodus on Friday/Saturday.

It gets more complex if you are trying to calculate domestic repatriations to Scotland as it’s not a Public Holiday there on Monday (they get the 2nd January instead) – although most banks and professional organisations take the Monday off in line with England.

• Travelled from T5 on Good Friday afternoon with my family and it was much quieter than what I expected. Not much rush at check-in or security. However, I’m sure you will allow plenty of time just in case as it is the school holiday period.

• Will be dead tomorrow I think.

7. Andrew says:

I’ve just replied to a 4th mate that the “Viṛgin’s 35th Birthday” message that’s doing the rounds is a fake.

It’s the “ṛ” (an r with a little dot under it) in the web address that is the kind of give away – as is the fact that they aren’t even 34 yet…

8. Plenty of Avios deductions, but little news about Virgin either way.

9. TGLoyalty says:

I had some taken away for a stay in 2016 too. Made no sense as I completed the stay. Need to follow up on that after my first set of email exchanges.

10. OT – someone on Facebook is saying that BA are now charging if you want to change your seat during online check-in. Have I missed something or did Alex forget to mention this in his South China Post piece?!

• TGLoyalty says:

I have status so not sure if that changes anything as I rarely see the option to pay for seats but if the seat is chargeable i.e. more legroom/exit seats etc wouldn’t it always cost to change to that seat weather its at OLCI or before?

• All seats are charged prior to T-24, but up till now once online check-in began, you could move to any available seat for free. I can’t believe this hasn’t had any publicity as the likes of Ryanair have had a real slating in recent months for doing exactly the same.

• But if this is a new policy from BA, I’m happy to let my 12 year son and nephew sit with other passengers; the policy might change again after that ????

11. Alex W says:

Same happened to me. After emailing VS for weeks, they returned some but not all of my points.