The following changes to Hilton Honors start today

Hilton Honors launches a number of changes to their programme today which will (good news) both simplify the scheme and (bad news) signal a shift in focus towards rewarding only the most loyal guests.

What Hilton Honors will do from today, is:

reduce points earning for Blue and Silver members

increase points earning for Gold and Diamond members who stay at least 40 nights per year (the changes are neutral if you stay under 40 nights)

remove the option to earn airline miles alongside points from your stays

Full details can be found on hilton.com on this page.

Why is it doing this?

There is a trend in the airline miles sector to give more rewards to big spenders and reduce benefits for the rest.  We saw this with the last set of Avios changes in 2015, where discounted economy tickets went from earning 1 x miles flown to just 0.25 x miles flown.  Hilton is moving the same way.

What Hilton seems to be doing is:

reducing what it spends on points for infrequent guests and

by stopping ‘points and miles’, reducing the amount of cash flowing out of Hilton Honors into the pockets of the airlines

What are the changes?

Until yesterday, you had two options when staying at a Hilton Honors hotel:

‘Points and Points’ gave you:

10 base points per $1 plus a bonus of 15% for Silver, 25% for Gold and 50% for Diamond, plus a fixed additional bonus of 5 points per $1

Alternatively, ‘Points and Miles’ gave you:

10 base points per $1 plus a bonus of 15% for Silver, 25% for Gold and 50% for Diamond, plus a fixed additional bonus of (in most cases) 1 airline mile per $1

But from today ….

Points and Points’ and ‘Points and Miles’ have been scrapped.  The new system, which has the benefit of being a lot simpler, is:

10 base points per $1 plus a bonus of 20% for Silver, 80% for Gold and 100% for Diamond

This is how it compares, assuming you currently do ‘Points and Points’:

Base member:  currently 15 points per $1, will become 10 points per $1  (down 33%)

Silver member:  currently 16.5 points per $1, will become 12 points per $1  (down 27%)

Gold member:  currently 17.5 points per $1, will become 18 points per $1 (up 3%)

Diamond member:  currently 20 points per $1, will remain 20 points per $1 (no change)

So, on standard earning no-one wins and some people lose badly.

However, there are some extra perks for Gold and Diamond members:

10,000 bonus points for hitting 40 nights, and for every 10 nights thereafter

plus

30,000 bonus points for hitting 60 nights

As 40 nights is the threshold for hitting Gold, and 60 nights is the threshold for hitting Diamond, you are effectively receiving extra points for hitting these tiers.  The only exception would be people who do very few but very expensive stays who may hit status on base points instead of nights.

Hilton Honors gives an example of a Diamond member doing 60 nights per year (the minimum required for Diamond if you qualify by nights) at $150 per night.  They currently earn:

$150 x 20 points per $1 x 60 nights = 180,000 points

In future they would earn:

$150 x 20 points per $1 x 60 nights = 180,000 points + 10,000 for 40 nights + 10,000 for 50 nights + 10,000 for 60,000 nights plus 30,000 for 60 nights = 240,000 points

This member is 33% better off.

Here is a Hilton chart showing the changes, click to enlarge:

Hilton Honors new earning rate

And two new perks ….

Status members now receive two additional benefits:

Elite nights will rollover.  Elite STAYS will not.  If you do enough nights to retain your current tier but not reach the next one, your excess nights carry over.  A Silver member doing 30 nights (Silver requires 10 nights, Gold 40) would retain Silver but start the following year with 20 elite nights for example.  The carry-forward is only for one year, so in my example a 30-night Silver would not get two years of extra status.

(Taken alongside the bonuses for additional nights, you can see what Hilton is driving at.  Many people retain their status and then move their business elsewhere because they see the extra elite nights as ‘wasted’.  That is no longer the case, and there is an extra carrot of the 10,000 point bonuses for sticking with Hilton.)

You can gift status to a friend.   A member doing 60 nights in a year can gift Gold status to a friend.  A member doing 100 nights in a year can gift Diamond status.

What does this mean overall?

Hilton has clearly decided that it was being too generous to people who only gave it a modest amount of business each year.  ‘Modest’ seems to be defined as anyone doing less than the 20 stays or 40 nights required for Gold.

What I don’t quite understand, however, is where this fits in with Hilton’s big ‘book direct’ campaign.  For a Silver or base member, who effectively gets no status benefits and who are now seeing their points cut and their ability to earn miles removed, why should they book direct, unless there is a cheaper member rate? If the price is the same then Hotels.com Rewards – which effectively offers you 10% of your spend back in free nights as I explained here – looks attractive now.

At the same time, Hilton has clearly decided that it wasn’t doing enough to keep members loyal once they had their Gold or Diamond requalification in the bag.  There are now three reasons to keep going: extra bonuses for doing 40+ nights, elite rollover nights and the ability to give status to a friend.

(Diamond and Gold members also receive free breakfast at Waldorf Astoria hotels now, as I explained here.)

Dropping the airline miles and points option takes away a differentiating feature.  What does surprise me is that Hilton is not introducing an option of just taking miles from a stay.  Most chains let you earn a handful of airline miles if you don’t ask for points – IHG gives 2 Avios per $1 on most brands per stay for example.

Hilton will still let you convert large chunks of points into airline milesThe rates – click here – are very poor though at 10,000 Hilton points per 1,000 miles in most cases (50% better to Virgin Atlantic).  You lose 50%-66% of the value by doing this so I really wouldn’t recommend it.  It also makes no sense since you can now use as few as 5,000 Hilton points for a cash discount on your next Hilton stay.

Personally for me …..

I have no skin in this game.  I currently have Hilton Diamond until March 2019 via the status match promotion which is still running.  When that expires, I will have permanent Hilton Gold as long as I keep my American Express Platinum card open.

(Hilton Gold is generally acknowledged as the most valuable mid-tier hotel status to have.  This is mainly because of free continental breakfast and partly because, outside the US, hotels treat you favourably for upgrades.)

As both a Hilton Gold or Diamond, my points earning rate is virtually unchanged.  I was never going to do enough nights to earn a 10,000 point bonus or be able to gift elite status.

I will lose out from the occasional generous ‘points and miles’ promotion.  On the other hand, I will benefit from the ‘free breakfast at Waldorf Astoria’ benefit just introduced.

The real losers are those of you who don’t have Hilton Gold.  You will see a noticeable drop in the number of points you earn.  Anyone doing very few Hilton stays – 4-5 per year – will no longer be able to pick up miles (unless they wait until they have 10,000 Hilton Honors points) and will see the points they earn per stay fall sharply.

You can find out more about the changes on the Hilton website here.

How to earn Hilton Honors points via UK credit cards

As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Hilton Honors points from UK credit cards.  Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses!

Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Hilton Honors points.  That page is regularly updated with the latest special offers and will still be accurate even if you are reading this article months after publication.

Credit & Charge Card Reviews (17): Virgin Atlantic Reward Plus Mastercard
What is the best hotel scheme? - Le Club AccorHotels - The Facts

Comments

1. Clive says:

Does anyone know if the Waldorf/Conrad Bonus points for a Stay post with points and cash?

• JamesB says:

Bonus points have posted with all my points and cash bookings regardless of brand. It may not be necessary but I’ve always billed something else, even just a coffee, to provide additional assurance.

2. David Faichney says:

I better make use of my current Diamond status while I can – it’s worth it if you can achieve it – perks, upgrades and points earning are really excellent

• Upgrades? As in, an upgraded room you’d actually notice having, not just “Welcome, as HH Diamond we’ve upgraded you to an executive room, it’s a standard room featuring an additional premium desk lamp…”

I can count on one hand the number of worthwhile upgrades I’ve had from Hilton.

• Genghis says:

Unlucky. I’ve had many.

• I assumed it would be better in Asia and worse in Europe … is that your experience?

• mark2 says:

At Stucky Molino in Venice we were upgraded to an Executive room looking out across the canal to the main city.

• Genghis says:

@shd in general, I’d say yes, better in Asia and worse in Europe. Equally, I’ve had some good upgrades in Europe (e.g. Paris Opera) and no (apparent) upgrade in Asia (e.g. Conrad Singapore).

• mradey says:

Hit and miss in the UK (apart from Park Lane, where I get upgraded to a suite 50% of the time – but we stay there a lot and are recognised).

Better in the States. Don’t stay in Hiltons elsewhere enough to comment.

• The Original Nick says:

I’ve had many too especially in SE Asia.

• I think we haven\t been upgraded twice, both at Hilton Frankfurt airport. But we always booked a room for cash with exec lounge access so I guess that\s a main driver for upgrades.

• Mr(s) Entitled says:

Been upgraded to the exec floor as a Gold on my last five hilton visits: Docklands, Venice, Liverpool, Reykjavik, Berlin.

Next stay is at the Waldorf in Rome this weekend. Fingers crossed!

3. William Wood says:

Will one still get gold through a £10k spend on the Hilton Visa card?

• Chris Palmer says:

Yes. That hasn’t changed.

• Yes but you would be better to get AmexGold, then Amex plat via the upgrade link and get Hilton gold that was AFAIK. You would earn more Hilton points (converted from amex) and get other hotel status benefits at the same time. Unless you’ve already spent close to £20k with Hilton visa already of course.

• Peter K says:

It’s only 10k and useful for places that don’t accept Amex.

• mark2 says:

Amex Gold then Plat is only £3000 spend, giving 45,000 MR >> 90,000 Hilton points plus Gold at Hilton and Marriott and other benefits e.g.airport lounge access.

• Adrian says:

It is, I was able to get 20,000 points on a £10k car purchase, they didn’t take AmEx, to be honest I was surprised they took visa.

4. paulm says:

Slightly OT – has anyone used the Amex £50 off Hilton spend offer on multiple transactions and got the cash back ?

5. If you stay at a Hilton booked by your company, can you claim the points personally? My partner and his friends were discussing this. They have a choice of UK hotels for their companies to book, within set budgets it is totally their choice. Being able to pick up personal points is almost always their primary decision factor. But none of them has chosen Hilton brand hotels because they aren’t sure if they’ll get the points.

• Yes. So long as you give the hotel your HH number you will collect points. If you have Hilton status, you will also receive the related benefits for that stay also.

• Genghis says:

Depends how booked and paid. If a booked by corporate travel agent and paid on checkout by your partner, yes. If booked and paid by co in advance, no base points (but will receive status benefits and any fixed bonus for stay etc if put through incidental + base on incidental etc)

Can they not take control of the booking process?

• Genghis says:

I should clarify, the latter has been from a couple of stays so not sure if this is the rule.
        As an aside / OT, I had a Radisson Blu stay last week and I paid for all my colleague’s rooms on one folio and got all the points (someone else had made the booking).

• I’ve generally found that presenting my diamond Honors card via the app, I get the points and relevant status perks – apart from room upgrades, which I think must be largely decided in advance (when the hotel won’t have head my honors status)

• No, all them get booked via corporate travel companies unfortunately, even though they all have different employers. It’s interesting to hear your experience. If they made the rules clearer it might result in more bookings. Perhaps there’s an issue in case people come through other booking routes and then complain.

6. David says:

O/T: If I add a supplementary card to my Amex Gold is thee a special link/method I need to use to get a points bonus?

Thanks!

7. “Hilton Gold is generally acknowledged as the most valuable mid-tier hotel status to have.”

Surely Marriott gold is more valuable than Hilton? Guaranteed lounge access.

• I don’t call 50 nights ‘mid tier’. You can get top tier in some programmes for that.

• Hilton Gold gets you breakfast anywhere. Marriott Gold only gets you breakfast in their mid tier brands and resorts are excluded.

8. Andrew (@andrewseftel) says:

I agree that it’s very much at odds with their book direct/Weekender campaigns. You would have thought that someone bright at Hilton would have incorporated ’10 weekend nights = Gold’ or something like that to get both the leisure and business markets engaged. Surely these changes are negative not just for leisure travelers but also the hundreds of leisure-focused properties.

9. I am trying to enrol my hubby and myself for the upgraded status through the Platinum Amex. I did it previously on a Platinum card last year but am trying to enrol again to extend our status for a further year but the Amex enrolment page keeps throwing up an error saying:

Sorry, Hilton Worldwide have been unable to process your enrolment request. This normally happens because there is already a member registered with the email provided or, if applicable, the existing Hilton Honors membership number is incorrect. Please provide an alternative email address or your existing Hilton Honors membership number and re-submit your request

This is happening across all the accounts previously upgraded. I’ve added the correct email and member number but I can’t enrol. How do you enrol again to extend the dates in to next year?

• Do you have to provide a different email address every time you re-enrol with all these programs. Just can’t get any of them to work!

• +1, thought it might be because Amex is in maiden name but HH account in married name, but maybe not if we’re all having the same problem. Was going to email HH after the weekend to query it (they don’t seem to have an issue with my HH Visa card being in my maiden name),

• Tilly says:

This happened to me when upgrading my HH account. I just had to try again, reentered my HH account and email details and it went through on the second attempt.

• Tried lots of times on HH and SPG accounts and it keeps saying there is already another member …. Won’t let you go ahead with no email so only alternative I can see is enter a new email which would be a pain to have to do every year.

• Funtime says:

I’ve tried enrolling this morning on most of the hotels, same message on all.

See what tomorrow brings.

• Rob MC says:

Same for me on every hotel and even the golf membership

• Still happening today. Even with a new email address….

• Funtime says:

Been on the chat and helpline, appears there’s a problem at Amex end.

• Ok thanks Funtime – I just tried again and got the same. Did they say when it’s likely to be fixed? Will just have to keep trying.

• Funtime says:

Hotel enrollments are now working.

• Cheers Funtime seems to be working again.

10. OT: just hit my Corp Amex Gold spend target, got the 20k points. What next? Cancel and start the 6-month clock ticking for a fresh application in October? Don’t see a way to upgrade the Corp Gold to Corp Plat .. does this exist?

11. Michelle says:

I have an upcoming stay at the walk in Dubai. We’ve booked the first two nights in my name on cash and then second night on points and then the next 5 nights are on points in my partners name. We’re both gold. What is the best way to go about linking the three separate bookings so we don’t have to change rooms and maximise our chance of an upgrade? Thanks.

• I think that’s quite tricky. I’ve had Hilton put me in two separate rooms before even when I’ve tried to point out the linked bookings in advance. Basically I had tagged on a further 2 nights booking onto a pre exiting one. All paid cash – I simply didn’t want to move room. They (Hilton Mallorca) were planning to upgrade the second (2 day booking) but not the week long booking. In my opinion you have a much better chance of being upgraded for a short stay (go figure) so depending on the hotel…they may be keener to not upgrade the lot. YMMV obviously.

• I would always suggest emailing the reservations dept at the hotel directly a couple of weeks before you go and explain it. They should be able to sort out the keeping the room request. The big problem I usually have is finding the email address for the hotel to send it to. There’s nothing guaranteed but I’ve found it to be the best option

• Michelle says:

You both make good points, I guess it’s a case of you pay your money and take your chance. It’s Ramadan when we go so we may get lucky! Thanks.