Bits: more 02 concerts for SPG and Marriott points, preview of the new IHG PointBreaks list for Monday

• News in brief:

New O2 concerts available in the SPG suite!

Another batch of concerts has been added to the SPG Moments and Marriott Moments sites.

These are a good use of points – the box, whilst a long way from the stage, is very comfortable (see photo below) and the food and drink on offer is high quality.  Here is Anika’s review of a trip to see Muse.

This is the current list on SPG Moments (click here).  The new additions are at the top.  All prices are for TWO tickets and priced in SPG points.

Flight of the Conchords (21st June) – 15,000 points

Quincy Jones (22nd June) – 15,000 points

Queen & Adam Lambert (2nd and 4th July) – 15,000 points

Justin Timberlake (9th July) – 25,000 points

The Muppets (14th July) – 15,000 points

Iron Maiden (10th and 11th August) – 15,000 points

Walking with Dinosaurs (15th August) – 15,000 points

Britney Spears (24th, 25th and 26th August) – 20,000 points

Some of the above, plus a few others which have been around for a while, are also on Marriott Moments (click here).  Here are the extra ones.  These prices are for TWO people and are in Marriott Rewards points (so x 3 from the equivalent number of SPG points).

Nickelback (11th May) – 45,000 points

Trevor Noah (19th May) – 45,000 points

Flight of the Conchords (20th June) – 45,000 points

Bryan Adams (31st May) – 60,000 points

Demi Lovato (10th June) – 60,000 points

Pearl Jam (various) – 60,000 points

Katy Perry (various) – 60,000 points

Shakira (11th June) – 60,000 points

SPG Suite O2 Arena London

Preview of tomorrow’s new IHG PointBreaks list released

IHG Rewards Club will be releasing the list of new ‘5,000 to 15,000 points per night’ PointBreaks redemptions during Monday.

We will run it on HFP on Monday afternoon, if possible, and it will go to the email list on Tuesday.

Remember that PointBreaks have changed.  They are now priced at three levels – 5,000 points, 10,000 points and 15,000 points.  This is allowing a higher quality of hotel to be featured.

IHG has released a teaser.  There will be 170 hotels on the full list, and this time they will include:

Book at 5,000 IHG points per night:

Book at 10,000 IHG points per night:

Book at 15,000 IHG points per night:

The most interesting deals are in the 15,000 point list – particularly Dusseldorf and Muscat.  There will be 150 other hotels to pick from too.

You can book from Monday afternoon.  I imagine that these rooms will go very quickly.

PointBreaks availability is very limited so book ASAP if you are interested.  You can book via the IHG PointBreaks page here or via the standard booking page here.  These hotels will be bookable for stays until the end of July.

GONE: Excellent, but convoluted, Virgin / Delta business class deals to the US from £939!
Important dates for your diary - offers about to close which you shouldn't miss

Hilton

Comments

1. If you’re still saying an IHG point is 0.4p, those 15k hotels are now ~£60/night redemptions?

I’ve stayed in the Indigo Dusseldorf Victoriaplatz. Certainly Arty, with a capital .! Off peak cash rates go as low as €69 (sample date 10 June) even without a sale, and if you don’t specifically want Victoriaplatz there’s HIX at €44 and the CP over in Neuss is €55. I’d pick redemption dates here with care.

We’ve walked in and around the IC Muscat, although we didn’t stay there. The grounds are nice but the main building has all the charm of a typical multistory car park. Nice beach front location though, and we love Oman.

2. JamesB says:

HIE Krabi is normally 20k/night so half price at 10k. Still a rotten deal deal though as it is typically only £25-£40 cash.

3. OT: what are “sweet” redemption opportunities for one way Dubai/Bangkok/hongkong to UK if I want to do a multi city ? I want to visit 2 of those ( we will be arriving in AUH on a separate ticket and will need to get back to UK after).

• JamesB says:

BKK-HKG slips just inside zone 2 so onevway J is only 15000 miles on Cathay or Sri Lanka. HKG-LHR/LGW/MAN on Cathay J for 90k and almost no tax and fees is about as sweet as it gets on one world, or if you have a 241 or Lloyds voucher F or CW respectively on BA. However, if you have MR or SPG points move them to Alaska MP for the Cathay flight back to UK. Might even be woth considering buying SPG points in current sale to do this (Marriott Alaska travel package?) and save your avios for another trip.

• Thanks. I have 100K SPG. Alaska sounds good. never used that route before….I can easily top themup as I have MR too.

• UK to DXB best bet is Krisflyer Miles (Amex transfer) at 25k each way Business Class on any Star Alliance airline.

• Thanks Rob, interesting opportunities.

• Pangolin says:

Good call.. you learn a few things when you get to *G on SQ!

• Note that if you were thinking of changing in FRA/MUC/VIE/ZRH then sadly SQ/Krisflyer gets only a limited quantity of Lufthansa Group redemption seats.

I’m looking for a redemption from the UK to Germany at the moment – when I search with Miles & More miles it’s wide open on pretty much all LH flights that day, yet searching the very same flights with Krisflyer miles there is much less availability.

Probably LH Group “getting their own back” on SQ/Krisflyer for not letting LH M&M members book those SQ suites 🙂

4. Vilnius and Perth are ok, I guess, but getting to Lithuania in a miles-earning way is difficult. Last time I did a day trip from Stockholm on SAS for about £50, and I think I saw most of what there is to see…

5. From the conversations we had with some of the staff at IC Muscat they are due to start the refurbishment of their rooms over the summer months, 15,000 points is still a steal though!

6. OT: Is there a official or unofficial bonus out there for adding a 1st supplementary card holder on Green Amex or SPG Amex?

7. OT – trying to find Avios availability for S7 flights in Russia. I’m sure you could see them at some point on BA.com but that doesn’t seem to work anymore. Any idea?

• Genghis says:

IIRC you now need to call to book

• Booked online on Ba website no problem. If you cant the flight that means it is unavailable. Are you looking at summer months? In summer there is almost no availability now.

• Couldn’t even find the city with reward flight finger. Found it with standard avios search but no flight any date I looked in September. Will try again on a desktop tomorrow.

8. Sandra says:

IC Muscat rooms are dated and the hotel lobby is quite dark, it all has a very 70s/early 80s feeling in my opinion. The last time I was there (early 2017) they were building a new hotel next door to it, not sure if that is finished yet or if building work still going on. It has a large, covered outdoor pool for swimmers plus a second pool/lazy river in gardens & a well equipped gym. There are several restaurants including Trader Vics which is very popular with locals and expats. Service was good. Having spent a lot of time in Oman (OH worked there for several years) I personally prefer the Crowne Plaza but at 15000 points/night I’d say the IC is a good deal.

9. OT.
    If I make a booking via Hertz using my Preferred Rewards Gold card 10% discount (and free additional driver), do I still have to hold that card when I make use of the car hire. I am wanting to book for April 2019 in USA but my free 1st year on the PRG card expires before then and I don’t plan to renew it. I will have an Amex card, just not the PRG.

• No. You use the AmEx PRG CDP code but are not forced to pay on the PRG or indeed any AmEx card!

10. Graham Walsh says:

OT I did the Avis spin the wheel competition and won an upgrade. Picked the car up yesterday. Still a Fiat 500 or similar as per my booking via BA. Maybe the upgrade was the paisley interior of the Fiat 500!!

Another thing to note is that I was classified as Avis Preferred so didn’t have to queue with everyone at Malaga airport. Walk straight down to the parking garage and collect the keys.

11. The Original Nick says:

O:T, Has anyone any experience of lounges in YYZ? I am flying BA in J, YYZ-LHR on the 13th of next month and was wondering what options I have. I am BAEC Silver too. I know Rob has mentioned a lounge closing there recently.

• I’m also flying YYZ – LHR on 13th May in J. Thought only lounge was Plaza Premium?

• The Original Nick says:

Tilly, I think you’re correct after reading comments on Flyertalk.

12. jeremy i says:

hello all. is it still possible to choose an exit row for ‘free’ if there is still one available and you don’t select during online check in and instead check in using the computer in the terminal building? thanks in advance.

13. OT: to use the mbna virgin upgrade voucher, do I have to be one of the passengers?

14. Sundar says:

Thanks Rob and Mark (yesterday in comments). I’ve booked one for Britney Spears for the Mrs and I.

15. Andrew says:

OT travelling this Saturday am and wondering if anyone has any recommendations for prepaid currency cards I could get by then? Eg can I pick one up at the post office or have you any experience with receiving one ordered only very quickly? thanks, Andrew