Hilton

Get 1,000 Avios with a new wine deal from Laithwaites

Wine retailer Laithwaites, the UK’s largest mail-order wine retailer (it runs The Sunday Times Wine Club as well as pretty much every other branded mail-order operation), has been a BAEC partner for many years via The British Airways Wine Club and now Wine Explorer. It has also offered deals to avios.com members since the Air Miles relaunch in 2011.

A new avios.com deal for the Spring, with a generous first order bonus, has just been launched.

Laithwaites Avios offer

They are now offering this new deal (click for details):

A 12-bottle case for £54.99 (white, red or mixed, alleged original RRP £113.88)

FREE delivery

1,000 Avios (250 Avios for existing customers)

2 free bottles of Rioja and a pair of Dartington Crystal glasses

This offer is available until 30th June.

You are getting tied into something.  Every 8 or 12 weeks and for Christmas, Laithwaites will contact you with details of a new case. If you do not specifically say that you do not want to receive it, either online or by phone, it will be sent to you and charged to the credit card you used for your initial order. The small print can be found here.

So, in return for the cash saving on your first case, you are going to have to deal with some admin from Laithwaites going forward. Once you have got your 1,000 Avios banked you can quit the Wine Plan but this may take a month or so.

Whether you want to go for this depends on how well organised you are. Overall it is a pretty good deal – 12 bottles of wine (+2 free bottles) at a bargain price, 1000 Avios and two wine glasses thrown in. I doubt the wine will be too bad, given that they want to encourage you to buy more.

Remember that this is an avios.com offer, not a British Airways promotion, and that you will need to give an avios.com account number.  You can move the points over to British Airways Executive Club later via ‘Combine My Avios‘.

PS.  If you are interested in the ‘business’ side of Avios, this case study (PDF, click) from the Avios website shows how Laithwaites has benefited, and explains the quality of customer attracted by the Avios partnership.

My day out at the new Aerospace Bristol museum - Part 1
How to do an IHG redemption for 200 points to hit one of your new Accelerate targets

IHG
IHG

Comments

1. Richard says:

Reading the PDF.. “customers who take a weekend break to Santiago..” if this is Santiago Chile (would make sense for wines) that’s a heck of a flight for a weekend break!

2. Alex says:

I made use of this offer when it was running earlier in the year. The points never posted and two months later I was sent a letter outlining the next case that was going to be sent (full price). I phoned up to cancel and mentioned the points. They directed me to Avios. Still waiting to hear back (I absolutely do not expect to receive the points anymore)

• Mr(s) Entitled says:

I’m less concerned with the Avios than the quality of the wine. How did you find it?

• Alex says:

A range between awful and very nice. Most were comparable to something you’d get for maybe £8-9 at Tesco – which was the main reason I didn’t continue the plan (it was no cheaper than just buying a bottle when I wanted it)

• Simon says:

Mine didn’t automatically get applied either. However, after contacting them via email, they arrived eventually. I think I had to (re) give them my avios account number I got 2k in the end I think.

• Luke says:

Strange – I used this offer last year and my avios were not posted neither. I sent email to Laithwaites (not to avios) and 2000 avios (instead of 1000) arrived a week later. Quality of wine was good for the price I paid, much better than similar Naked wines deal.

3. AndyW says:

The Virgin wines offer for new customers is pretty good for anyone who collects. 12 bottles, 3000 miles, £65. The wines are for the most part decent, for the money.

4. Alex W says:

I got a laithwaites deal a couple of years ago. I thought the wine was fine but the wife wasn’t impressed for some reason. Cancelling was easy but my goodness they have never stopped emailing, calling and mailing me ever since.

• Lumma says:

I got the 6 bottles of Rioja where you got points with Iberia and I constantly get letters and phonecalls (from Spain) offering me more.

5. _nate says:

I liked the wine last time but would not have paid full price for it. Therefore I’d quite like to do this again, but am I allowed and will I get the full 1000 avios?