BA sale

How to get a one-way Hertz UK car rental for just £1!

Hertz UK has launched a similar deal to the Europcar’s £1 car rentals which have proved very popular with Head for Points readers: Hertz One

Hertz One offers one-way UK car rentals for a flat fee from £1, including basic insurance.

This is an interesting way for Hertz to save money when re-allocating vehicles across sites.  The idea is that you rent a car for £1 and take it back to its original depot, presumably after someone else paid a hefty one-way rental surcharge in the other direction.

The Hertz One rental page is here.

Your best chance of finding a deal is if you want to travel TO one of London’s airports. If I look at Plymouth to Heathrow, for example, there is a £1 car available at any point between now and 3rd June which is as far out as they go for early booking.

Included in the price are

• Collision Damage Waiver (excess applies)
  • Theft Protection (excess applies)
  • Location service charge
  • Vehicle Licence Fee
  • Tax

Not included are:

• Super Cover
  • Personal insurance
  • Premium Emergency
  • Roadside Service
  • Fuel
  • Additional Driver Fee

You need to complete the journey within 24 hours of when you collect the car.

It also looks like Hertz One is currently only available from Plymouth, Edinburgh, Bristol, Glasgow, Inverness, Cardiff and Aberdeen to London airports (Heathrow, Gatwick, Luton and Stansted).  You will not earn Gold Plus Rewards points on Hertz One bookings and I am guessing that the chance of getting the standard 1,000 Virgin Flying Club miles for a Hertz booking is roughly nil.

That said, there might be occasions when this could work out nicely.  Full details are on the Hertz UK site here.

InterContinental New York Times Square adds a 'resort fee'
MBNA is closing your Virgin Atlantic credit card - should you apply for the new version?

Head for Points is sponsored by:

Magazine montage

Up to 30% off in Hilton's Winter Sale

Click here to find out more and book

Comments

1. Hingeless says:

This works in other countries too with Europcar, for example it is currently available between Sydney and Melbourne or Adelaide.

2. Waribai says:

Ok, I’m guessing you don’t get any 5* gold plus reward benefits either? 🙂

3. Bristol and Cardiff are the only ones I would drive in a day… Inverness is what, 12 hours and the fuel would cost nearly £100? The only reasons I’d drive are to stop off somewhere inaccessible by public transport or transporting something bulky.

• Aeronaut says:

That’s just what’s available at the moment – expect it to change.

• Lady London says:

Don’t hold your breath. the list is the same as when I accidentally came across it quite a few months ago.

• Moneyback says:

Inverness to Heathrow?

My brother drives Stirling to Inverness regularly, that’s 2h45m.

I drive Oxford to Stirling regularly, that’s 5h30m non-stop, sticking at 70. I can do the return drive on a single tank in a VW GTD.

Oxford to Heathrow Pods is 35-40 minutes.

So you could do it in 9 hours (probably best to share the driving) and on less than a single tank in the right car.

• David says:

INV to EDI or GLA is available too, which is an easy 3 or 4 hour drove across some of the most impressive scenery in the UK. Budget on £20 of fuel and it’s certainly cheaper than the train, plus a whole lot more enjoyable too.

• Aeronaut says:

I think the train journey on the Highland Main Line from Inverness to Perth is pretty impressive myself.

A car provides ample opportunity for deviating and stopping off en route of course (even an overnight stay – on that possibility, it’s worth pointing out this Hertz one-way offer can be had for 2 days, unlike the Europcar one-way offer which is 24 hours max),

• David says:

The train shadows the A9 for most of the way, but not so easy to take in a side trip to Dalwhinnie distillery from the railway.

For me, it’s a cheap commuter trip if I don’t want to put miles in my own car.

4. Aeronaut says:

This is handy.

I’ve used the Europcar £1 rentals before and found them very useful. With Europcar I recall there being availability right up to midnight on the day before (if there is availability that is).

Probably sensible to take out cheapo excess insurance with the likes of Questor or Leisure Guard (see MSE for useful links and discount codes), though I must admit I haven’t bothered when doing a £1 one-way hire.

• You can book with Europcar on the day if you’re so inclined. I did this last month.

• Londonsteve says:

Whatever the rental price, you should always have excess cover to hand. Although the big names are slightly less neurotic about ‘damage’ than the discount operators, you could easily still find yourself getting stiffed for existing marks that were not recorded at check out. It’s frighteningly easy to miss a chip in the windscreen or a bulge in a tyre on a rainy evening. The price they charge you for ‘repairs’ bear no correlation with what you or I can get things done with Autoglass or Kwik Fit…

• Lady London says:

And guess what.
        The cars are not actually ‘repaired’ for all these little things until just before they go back. Then all the ‘little things’ they’ve charged so many renters a huge excess for, possibly over and over again for the same scratch or windscreen thing or whatever, all get repaired. As one repair. That they might have charged 8 or more people for, if they did not check the car carefully and get the scratch or whatever, initialled by rentalcar company staff on pickup. Err… yes that’s the car that you walk in the dark to the corner of the car park to find, that doesn’t have any good light over it. That some people just get into and drive away in, without checking. Shudder.

I think the highest excess I ever saw on a rental car’s t’s and c’s was 3200 euros.

• Brian says:

Why wouldn’t you bother with a £1 one-way hire, if you would with a normal rental? The cost of the actual hire makes no difference to the excess that you would be charged, surely?

• Lady London says:

Even for £1 hire excess coverage insurance is strongly recommended. It”s not how much it costs, it’s who you get checking the car in at the drop end that may claim you put a scratch on the car or worse and then you get charged a huge excess. Taking the super cover is not even fully comprehensive cover and it will cost at least 2+4x the cost of a separate car hire excess cover insurance.

I have used insurance4carhite, questor, better safe and a few others for this. Basically I would NEVER hire a car without excess coverage. Amex Plat or similar cards can include it though.

• Aeronaut says:

OK in reply to the above – yes, your’re all right, excess cover is always a good idea!

Why didn’t I bother when doing £1 one-way hires? Well in part I think they were generally speculative bookings, for journeys I wasn’t sure if I was going to make until the day of travel – if you cancel with less than 24 hours notice it’ll only cost you a quid. Meanwhile from a third party provider such as insurance4carhire or Questor, you have to buy the excess cover by midnight the day beforehand (Tony – this may be what I was thinking of when I gave that as a deadline).

But yes, I could and should have bought cover it anyway if I thought I was going to make use of the booking – it’s inexpensive, especially compared to what it could end up costing.

I guess in the back of my mind is some notion that the car hire company might be less likely to try and stiff you for some nonsense when you’re doing one of these one-way hires, given that you’re being useful to them (as a company at least). Of course all sorts of stuff can happen out on the road, down to windscreen chips or whatever, so excess cover is always a good move regardless – and I guess there’s always the possibility that one branch might take the opportunity to use you to ditch a problematic car on their colleagues elsewhere!

5. Cambus says:

Actually, I just did this at the weekend with Hertz from Glasgow Airport to Heathrow. It was a maximum two day rental for £1.99, and although the website stated 550 miles, the contract was unlimited mileage. This is the second time I have done this as it suits my personal circumstances, and I prefer them over Europcar as returning to LHR or LGW is a lot more convenient that Europcar who tend to offer STN or LTN only. Fuel cost for me was a little over £50, so for two of us much cheaper than flying or getting the train.

6. I suppose you can’t stack this with the SPG 1000 points per rental? If you don’t ask…..

7. OT. Does the Car Hire Insurance provided with the Amex Platinum card cover worldwide? And do you have to use the card to pay for the booking to be eligible? Trying to figure out whether I can take advantage of this when i go to Italy later this month.

8. OT, people suggested to use autoslash in the past, they always lead me to priceline.com which is always cheaper, but seems to not offer any insurance (so not even CDW). So not suitable for brits as the car insurance here does not cover rentals and the amex plat / insurance4carhire is just the excess.

• Lady London says:

Yes but it;s the excess that you want to cover.

Excesses taken from your credit card can be frightening. £2,000 not uncommon. And they take the money first, then you have to try to prove you didn’t do whatever the person checking in your car blamed you for that you didn’t do and didn’t point out and have signed for as a mark or defect or missing item or scratch or whatever, when you picked up the car in the dark corner of the carpark in the middle of the night in the rain. Trust me this really happens. Perhaps after you left it in the car park and put the keys through the box, because your flight was before they opened. Just…… don’t….. do it. I’m sorry to say this but it’s hard to think of an industry I would regard as more likely to make you a victim of sharp practice and fraud, than this on. Except perhaps estate agents..

9. Crafty says: