BREAKING: No more easy Avios or Virgin miles via Tesco Direct as its closure is announced

Tesco has surprised the market today by announcing that it is closing Tesco Direct on 9th July.

Whilst some products will continue to be sold via the Grocery website, it is very likely that we have seen the end of the generous points bonanzas of the past – although, to be fair, pickings have been slim over the last couple of years.  This was always of great interest to Avios and Virgin Flying Club collectors due to the ability to transfer Clubcard points into airline miles.

Tesco Direct to close

Anika has the full story over at Shopper Points here.

She also cropped up in the BBC News version here.

Feel free to share your best Tesco Direct points deal in the comments!

Review of the expanded 51 Degrees Lolfa Foethus (Executive Lounge) at Cardiff Airport
Bits: IAG 'to make third €1.5bn Norwegian offer', new Club World ads, 720 Avios with a NOW TV stick

IHG Sale

Comments

1. Greenpen says:

Oh dear, I remember all of these and not having Tesco points on tap will severely hit my travel. But what goes around comes around and there is currently a keen young marketing manager thinking up what they believe to be the best thing ever for their ……

No one has mentioned the Unilever mobile telephone thing. A marketing person went home on Friday evening thinking they had made their career only to find that by Monday morning ClubCard points roughly equivalent to the gross domestic product of a medium sized economy have been given away!

2. Scott says:

With any luck, they’ll do a “1000 points on cheap ink” farewell bonus 😉

My most lucrative ones were the
    £1 Forever Love? CDs that gave 500 bonus Andrex wipes that were on offer at £1.50 and gave you a £3 coupon that you used against more of the same / toilet rolls then gave £1.50 back to use on anything.

Never did the veg thing.

3. No one has mentioned the SIM card deal, £1.98 for 1000 pts last year, way better than the hassle of now tv boxes although I did make a profit on those for far too much effort.
    Still have way too many cc points

4. There are a few bits I’d like to order from Tesco Direct before they go. They’re still listed at shopping.avios.com/en/home-and-garden/tesco-direct – is this likely to credit before either Direct and/or Avios.com disppears for good?

5. Not Tesco direct but my first ever experience with points and miles back in the winter of 2009/2010 in store was 1000 points for a £10 mobile phone which would ebay for something like £13.

Local stores were on high alert when I started turning up daily 🙂 The avios sent me on my first club europe redemption.

6. Wonder if we’ll see a send off offer to clear the decks?

• If Maplin and Toys ‘R Us are anything to go by recently, there will be some deals but the majority of decent stuff which is easy to move will be bought up by larger companies.

7. I bought a new Dyson hoover a couple of years ago when the 5000 CC pts offer was on.

8. Claire says:

Slight OT. I received a letter from Tesco Bank just before saying they’re going to start charging 3.99% handling fee for any transactions from my Tesco Credit Card to ‘payments to prepaid of virtual cards’ – so does this affect payments made on my Tesco card via Curve or am I misunderstanding completely?

• The Urbanite says:

Sounds like a cash advance type charge if you’re topping up prepaid cards – and they’ll probably stop awarding points too if they do so currently.

• Curve is fine. Revolut, Monzo etc not fine.

• Steve says:

Rob how do you know that? I also got the letter because it says I have made these kinds of transactions before but I’ve only ever used Curve on it not any prepaid ones nor any of the other transaction types listed

• Because I chat to the Curve CEO on a regular basis. For 2 days, Mastercard was accidentally coding Curve transactions wrongly. Go back through your statements and look at the MCC code listed by each transaction. You may see a day where the MCC code changes. The code used in error is the one used by Revolut etc which is why Tesco things you are using Revolut.

• James knox says:

I’ve been charged a cash withdrawal fee on my tesco card after using curve to withdraw cash from ATM. Just dropped the curve team a note to find out if they can help. Also tried going back in time to change to another card. Been happily using this system for a while…