BA Sale

NEW: How to earn Avios with Budget car rentals

Following a lot of rationalisation in recent years, Avis emerged as the sole British Airways car hire partner.

Avis offers a range of benefits including free additional drivers for BA Executive Club members and bonus Avios if you pay using a British Airways American Express card.  There is even an Avis depot in the Heathrow Terminal 5 car park.

Avis also owns rental group Budget.

Budget car rental Avios points

The relationship between Avios and Budget has historically been a bit odd, to say the least.  It was presumably down to the wording of the contract between Avis and British Airways.

You could earn Avios points with car rentals from Budget but ONLY if you credited them to an avios.com or Iberia Plus account.  You could not credit to British Airways Executive Club.  If you looked at the Budget UK website there was no mention of Avios at all.  It wasn’t even listed under their European partners.  Instead, all of the Avios information was on budgetinternational.com/avios where you were almost guaranteed not to find it!

This has all now changed.

You can now credit Budget rentals directly to BA.  There is a brand new Avis / Budget / Avios website which replaces the old avisba.com.  You can find it here, the URL is the catchy abg-britishairways.com …..

How many Avios do I earn from Budget?

You earn 100 Avios points per rental day.  This is valid for rentals of up to 30 days so you could do OK if you needed a car for an extended period.  All Budget locations worldwide are included.

Note that you do NOT get a free additional driver when renting with Budget as a BAEC member.  This benefit is only available with Avis rentals.

The earning rate with Budget is clearly poorer than the Avis earning rate (3 Avios per £1 spent with a minimum of 500 Avios, a bonus of 250 Avios for using a BA Premium Plus American Express and a bonus of 1,000 Avios for four rentals in a calendar year) but you do at least have an additional option now when renting.

You can find out more on the new Avis Budget / BA site here.

IHG launches new upscale 'conversion brand' voco - but what is a 'conversion brand'?
My review of MOXY London Excel - what is Marriott's funky budget chain really like?

BA Sale

Comments

1. David says:

You can still access the website directly at avisba.com thankfully!

2. Jimmy says:

FYI there is also a Sixt car rental desk (in fact 3 of them) in the foyer by the lift of the Sofitel at T5 LHR. Their cars are parked in the underground car park of the hotel. For the sake of 100 avios per day, im not sure that budget warrant the effort at lhr.

3. Rob, is this the start of a series on car rental deals, might be worth mentioning Virgin/Alamo earns 2x VS miles.

• We are planning a broader car rental overview in advannce of the holiday season.

• Bagoly says:

I had two pleasant surprises when booking Hertz this week:
        1) The “Pay it now” price takes cash now, but one can cancel until the midnight 48-72 hours beforehand, and they will refund. This is much better than Avis who charge £40 for cancelling a “Pay it now”. I’m not sure about amendments (but changing a pick-up point has to be cancel and rebook, not amendment)
        2) One can use part-pay with Hertz Reward points – I was booking Fri-Sun, clicked the button to pay with points, and it offered me the choice of the weekday or the weekend (fewer points). So 800 points which I acquired before I understood miles, and thought would expire, saved me £100.

• Nick M says:

Interesting… I hadn’t realised you could part pay – do you start off as a redemption or cash booking?

• Lady London says:

Be careful a couple of months ago, twice, at 2 different Hertz locations in the UK, I wanted to book a 2-day rental having the Reward points available. In both cases the system would only allow 1 day’s worth to be paid by Reward points so I ended up in both cases getting gouged on the cash rate for the other day (£60-£100). It’s not in the rules that that should happen, and staff could not explain it but said that was how they were currently experiencing it working. If this continues I will dump Hertz from my many rentals a year as it was a rip-off.

The “Pay it now” experience of being able to cancel 48-72 hours beforehand, if you were taking what used to be known as pre-pay, is also new to me with Hertz. Pre-pay used to be refundable only when cancelled within 7 days of booking. So if your rental was to start within 7 days yes you could cancel it and get all your money back. Pre-paid bookings could, however, have their dates changed provided they stayed with the same branch, and they operated a rule that they would let you change to a 3rd date then no more. So if it’s changed that you can cancel a prepaid booking and get all your money back 48 hours beforehand, no matter how long ago you made the booking, then I might make the odd booking with them using pre-pay instead of pay at location. That is, if they don’t stop ripping me off by telling me “computer says no” to paying for any more than one day of a booking with a reward day. That will really T me off and I’ll be gone from Hertz – Europcar is looking rather attractive these days.

• Alan Young says:

Also their free wifi etc seems a good deal, has anyone used this?

4. RussellH says:

Anyone have any experience of how prices compare for avios-earning rates and broker rates?

5. Bagoly says:

I’m used to the service levels from Avis and Hertz – as membership is free, it’s easy to get “turn-up-and-go”.
    Budget (I was chasing miles bonus) has no such scheme and was a decidedly less pleasant experience.

6. David says:

Can I have a rentalcars.com booking with Budget credited to Avios

7. Graeme says:

When do the 250 Avios usually post out of interest? Ive pre paid Avis a few weeks ago using the free BA Amex for a rental in October but never reveived any bonus. Is it after the rental itself?

Thanks

8. Anthony says:

Hi Graeme, yes in my experience as BA Gold and Avis Preferred Plus its after rental

9. IanMacK says:

I am planning to rent a car in Key West, Florida then drive to Miami Airport (drop-off) for flight home this family summer holiday.
    (I am BAEC GGL but no membership of any car rental scheme. Have most other airline alliance and hotel chain loyalty but would prefer to earn on BAEC, Hyatt, HiltonH.)
    Any suggestions for best option (to earn Avios / points) ??
    Thanks