BA sale

Last day to book economy Avios redemptions for 50% fewer points

Until midnight tonight, 17th June, over 90 British Airways long-haul routes can be redeemed at 50% off, but in Economy only.

Unfortunately taxes, fees and carrier charges are NOT reduced and will set you back around £350 per person (£275 for the Middle East).

This offer is for flights from or to London Heathrow and Gatwick between 1st September 2018 and 31st May 2019.  In reality, despite what the rules say, regional departures seem to work OK too.  If you live near Inverness this means that you can wipe out the Air Passenger Duty by starting from there as it is exempt.

One way redemptions are allowed.

Avios redemptions for 50% fewer Avios

You cannot combine this offer with a British Airways American Express 2-4-1 voucher or a Lloyds Avios Rewards upgrade voucher.

Avios part payments are excluded from this offer, but Avios plus cash is included.  The reduced Avios price will automatically be applied when booking.

Here are some typical off-peak prices for return World Traveller (economy) flights including taxes with this offer:

• Bermuda for 13,000 Avios + £367.16 (peak 20,000 Avios)
  • Seychelles for 16,250 Avios + £369.61 (peak 25,000 Avios)
  • Hong Kong for 19,500 Avios +£341.35 (peak 30,000 Avios).

Of course, even at half price most of these deals remain poor.  Should I want to go to Dubai, for example, it will cost me 13,000 Avios + £259 on an off-peak date.  Cash tickets can often be had for £295 to £325 which means that the redemption is still a bad deal unless you need the flexibility to cancel if needed.

That said, do the maths.  If you are travelling in high season it may still make sense.  Whilst economy redemptions are usually not great value long-haul, this offer would make sense if a cash ticket would otherwise set you back £550 – £600 or so. This would value your Avios points at 1p each which is fine by us.

You must book by tonight for travel between 1st September 2018 and 31st May 2019 to redeem for 50% fewer Avios – and 0% fewer taxes.

The special offer page for the deal is here.

Exciting changes for the Head for Points Summer Party
IHG launches new upscale 'conversion brand' voco - but what is a 'conversion brand'?

Comments

1. On the BA deal, if I want to book a multi city trip (LHR to BOS, then MIA to LHR), does booking two one way trips online work out the same tax/fees wise? Our do I need to call BA to book in one go?

2. What's the Point says:

I normally don’t give these Avios economy deals a second glance, but I’ve picked up some exceptional value out of this one. Booked a number of return tickets to Jordan for various family members – travelling in peak times. Saved them hundreds vs the cash price – especially when you realise that the lowest cash price doesn’t actually include a checked bag anymore!

Ok, so its not travelling in CW, but the savings can’t be sniffed at for a 5 hour flight.

3. Off topic – can someone please confirm if Amex still do pro-rata refund for card fees. I think this changed in US a while back, but in the UK are we still eligible? Many thanks in advance.

4. david devine says:

Used vueling for man bcn trip this weekend. IAG obviously trawling new depths. I see the north doesn’t qualify for short haul flights from BA. Flight over only left an hour late. Looks like our return flight went tech and we are now sat on an alternative plane on the tarmac somewhere in bcn. Should I be grateful another plane was on standby?

• vlcnc says:

I’ve said this before and will say it again – Vueling is the worst airline in Europe. Nevermind WizzAir or Ryanair they are literally the pits – yet they seem to get away without much criticism…

• We are actually giving Excellence class a go in 2 weeks …

• vlcnc says:

You can dress a turd up all you want Rob but it is still a turd. So you might get a nicer seat and some food but it is still their frankly atrocious and despicable staff, terrible delays and frankly sadistic customer services.

• Lady London says:

Hang in there if it gets to you landing over 3 hours late then EU261.

Over 2 hours and they owe you appropriate food and drink for the time of day, accommodation if it turns into overnight, transport to and from said accommodation, whatever the reason -mechanical issues is not an exemption (nor from EU261).

You might be lucky with Vueling – could run to 3 hours delay. Easyjet seems to be around an hour late on particular routes all the time particularly in the summer, and Ryanair somehow seem to scrape in taking off just 5min short of having to provide care (food, drink etc) over and over again. But Vueling might slip up. If they won’t provide those things or delay unreasonably then just get your own and claim back (within reason).

Seriously though, good luck and I hope your wait on tarmac is not too long. I think in Europe they have to let you out of a plane if it’s been on the tarmac a certain period.. I think 3 hours.

5. I’m about to hit my intro bonus on my Gold CC. Any news or routes to upgrade to Plat and earn that bonus? Or is it a straight no go?

• the real harry1 says:

Just reading the T&Cs to see if you can use the GC upgrade route – doesn’t say yes, doesn’t say no so why not give it a go?

While I was there, I noticed the following – never knew that! 🙂
      Australia: Platinum Cardmember may bring their children between the ages of 2-17 and up to 2 guests into the lounge.
      Brazil: Platinum Cardmember and up 1 travel companion OR Platinum Cardmember’s immediate family may enter the airport lounges at no cost. For any additional guests, the Cardmember will be charged R$22.00 per person (exception: no additional guests allowed in Congonhas lounges).
      India: Platinum Cardmember and up to one complimentary guest allowed and any additional guests will be charged INR750 per person.
      Mexico: Platinum Cardmember plus 2 guests or immediate family (spouse & sons/daughter no limit)
      United States: Platinum Cardmember may bring immediate family (spouse or domestic partner and their children under 18) OR up to two (2) companions into the lounge.

• Kinkell says:

Several past postings with link ,but Google can bring up a link. I’ve just got my 20kMR pts for the £1000 spend, upgrade Gold to Plat . So it’s still happening.

• Crafty says:

The question is about the new gold credit card, not the old gold charge card which was an established upgrade route.

6. Gavlar says:

My base airport is Inverness so when I am not using my 2for1 BA voucher is there any point in using a positioning flight followed by an Aer Lingus / Iberia hub for redemptions to avoid charges if APD is already excluded for me. Perhaps other than when there are differences in peak & offpeak dates with those carriers

• the real harry1 says:

yes at times because the price difference isn’t solely APD, ie ex-EU could still present good savings

I think I’m in the camp that says if you really enjoy the extra opportunity of spending a night or 3 @ the positioning city (ie extra holiday experience), this can make ex-EU really enjoyable/ good value – if you don’t, then sometimes the hassle often isn’t worth the saving

7. OT: is the barclaycard online service down for anyone else? I’m unable to login on both my own and my partner’s account

8. Brexiteer says:

Why not have this party in the North?

Sick of everything being so London-centric on this blog.

• Money talks and bullshit walks.

London is where the money is!!

• I was in Manchester this morning as it happens, on the way to Atlanta.

• Peter K says:

If your target audience is mainly in the South you concentrate on the South. Likewise, if you live in the South and are organising the party then you likely keep it in the South.
          Similarly, a number of competitions are UK only as most readers of this site are.

• Lady London says:

Believe it or not it’s a lot easier from a lot of “the North” to reach London than “other North”

9. ankomonkey says:

I predict the party sponsor is Curve. Or Virgin Atlantic.

• No and No. It isn’t someone we usually work with.

• ankomonkey says:

Gulf Air? Creation? No, Creation would insist it be held in Solihull.

• Genghis says:

When I went to the curve offices they didn’t have any decent tea bags for a proper cuppa. V lean operation.

• Michael Jennings says:

Other than the whole “must be losing loads of money on every customer” thing.

• Lady London says:

10. C F Frost says:

OT Amex Plat referrals. Does anyone have experience of testing whether the 90k MR annual ceiling is definitely and always enforced across both the primary and supplementary cardholder? Or, in other words, has anyone on a supplementary card managed to squeeze in referrals on top of the five the primary has made? And on a finer point – does the year end according to the primary cardholder’s dates, or does the supp retain his/her own dates and is there any IT ineffectiveness here to permit >5 referrals a year across both cards?

• Steve says:

Hi Default Amex Card Guy!

Interested to know how a supplementary card holder would make referrals – didn’t know there was such an option.

On the last point about year end, it is done by calendar year, you could potentially earn 180k points over December and January with 5 referrals each side of new year.

• It is firm and is per MR account per calendar year.

• vlcnc says:

11. C F Frost says:

It’s a disappointing but hardly surprising dead end. I think I just got lazy. I’d seen the referral link on my plat account but never had any need to follow it. I just have, but the only cards that show are primary Amex cards.

Would you believe me if I said this was my real name?