IHG

T&Cs updated – 10,000 Virgin miles with Virgin Money life insurance, now from £10 a month

EDIT 1pm Saturday: Virgin Money has confirmed to me in writing that anyone who applied by 4pm on Friday will receive the miles, irrespective of premium paid

On Thursday we wrote about a bonus miles offer with Virgin Money life insurance.

Until 7th August Virgin Atlantic Flying Club members who take out a life insurance policy will receive 10,000 Flying Club miles.

The Virgin Money website stated that the cheapest premium was £6 per month, but according to comments under our article some readers were able to get life insurance for as little as £0.80 per month – a ridiculously cheap way of ‘buying’ miles.

Virgin Money has since pulled the offer and replaced it with an amended version.

A minimum monthly premium of £10.00 now applies to the Flying Club miles offer.  This applies to all policies taken out from Friday.  If you took one out on Thursday, your miles will be honoured.  (EDIT: Virgin Money is now saying that 4pm Friday is the cut-off.)

The other key things you need to know about this offer are:

The 10,000 Virgin Flying Club miles are awarded up to 60 days after the sixth consecutive monthly payment

You must be a Virgin Flying Club member

You must be a UK resident and over 18 years old

This offer is for new customers only

One offer per person – joint policies receive the same 10,000 miles

The application website is here. You can also apply by calling 0800 0728870.

Virgin Money life insurance policies come with various perks including access to the Virgin Money lounges.

If you qualify for the cheapest monthly payment of £10, you need to pay at least £60 to receive the 10,000 Flying Club miles. This assumes you are happy to cancel before the miles arrive, as that may take an extra 60 days as per the rules.  0.6p per Flying Club mile is still a pretty good deal ……

The closing date for applications under this offer is 7th August, so you have over a month to decide whether you want to take out a life insurance policy with Virgin Money.

ENDS 11pm SUNDAY: Iberia's VERY generous 90,000 Avios promo - you can book, it really does work!
Hilton drops 'Travelling Connect' but you can still earn points with your mobile abroad

IHG

Comments

1. Hostime says:

I took out a policy on Friday morning before the terms and conditions were updated. I hope they honour the deal — or I will have to write to the Financial Conduct Authority. I know the FCA won’t care, but it will cost Virgin Money £500…

• Simon says:

Same here, definitely nothing about a £10 minimum first thing on Friday morning.

• Genghis says:

FOS…

• Pension miss selling, poor advice leading to financial loss, dodgy advisors are all good reasons to use the massively over worked FOS. You not getting your points because of a change in t&c’s where there is no real financial loss to you seems a little wrong and could quite possibly delay someone who does need the FOS’s help.

• Agree. People get carried away with the points game. Most knew it was a gamble taking out an 80p or so policy. Yet, will abuse a system for those in real dire straits. You can cancel within 14 days and get back your 80p, so are you losing financially?

• Doug M says:

Maybe if companies learn to honour the small things they’ll learn to honour the big things. It’s not incumbent on someone to decide the worthiness of a complaint. If they say A, but do B then you’ve every right to complain.

• Malibu Stacey says:

If successful they will refund the premiums you have paid. Just accept it is a punt. if you get the miles great. If you don’t, you don’t.

• Frenske says:

I started a quote on Thursday and finished on Friday late morning. I guess they should honour the first T&C rules.

2. Mr(s) Entitled says:

This clearly did not change at 00:01 Friday. While Virgin may want the news out there that Thu will be honoured but Fri won’t I for one would question the validity. In fact, honouring the T&Cs on Thu only strengthens the hand of those who bought under the same T&Cs on Fri.

Lets start the fact finding. Who has the latest times screen shot, chat, or alike to help verify the claim? Or perhaps Virgin (who we know read this) or HfP could simply confirm.

3. I took out a policy at lunchtime yesterday and took screen shot of all the T&Cs (including the time and date). There was no mention of £10 minimum at 13:27 hours…

4. John ABZ says:

I took out a £1.86 per month policy on Friday. Yes the points were the motivation. But I also did need some cover and wouldn’t have cancelled after 6 months, as I wanted the cover. Indeed I cancelled an equivalent policy with another provider as I had swapped my business to Virgin. If they don’t honour the points I will have no qualms whatsoever in complaining to them and FCA. Thank you Tom1 for the T&C attachments. Let’s all not forget UK financial companies have a track record in bad behaviour, (endowments and ppi misspelling, sub prime mortgages etc etc) and some have made a lot of £ out of it. Many have tried to wiggle out of their responsibilities for compensation. This is a no brainer for me. Give me what you promised. No more, no less.

5. John ABZ says:

Delete misspelling insert mis-selling. That was a misspelling on my part, ironically enough 🙂

6. callum says:

Do screenshots actually hold any validity? They can be easily altered and don’t have time stamps on them.

I could make one now saying Virgin were offering 100,000 miles!

• Mr(s) Entitled says:

They help to validate an argument. There is only one way to be sure and that is for Virgin to confess. The FOS will make them do that if they dont of their own accord.

Judging from the above, anyone before 1300 should be okay. That may yet get pushed further back.

The line “this applies to all policies taken out on Friday” looks increasingly dubious. We are fact checking on their behalf.

• John ABZ says:

Tom1s link above seems to have a date embedded in it. Ultimately though would Virgin Money risk trying to mislead FSA and public reputation. They would have to prove that the min £10 per month requirement was in the T&Cs before Friday and they couldn’t do so without making false statements, tampering with records etc etc. I cannot see them undertaking such a criminal conspiracy over airmiles.

• Mr(s) Entitled says:

I’d go one stage further. Having promoted the offer, they should have made an equal or better attempt to promote the change. They may have done, but that would be on them to prove. Otherwise it is simply bait and switch,

• callum says:

I don’t think it does – the only date I can see is in the title which he just typed out. You could just as easily type that it was taken at 28:77 on the 55th of Martober!

You can literally make screenshots say whatever you want. If Virgin were going to deny the T&Cs ever said that, no-one who understands what a computer can do would accept a screenshot as evidence of anything (this blog-post would be much more useful!).

• Lady London says:

If it really came to it a court could require the company to provide copies of their systems at the time.

7. New Card says:

A bit OT but Virgin related – I still haven’t received an offer for bonus points on my new Virgin Money credit card (paid version), even though I am an MBNA Virgin cardholder. I know I should give it 2 weeks as they are staggering these, but when does this 2 week period end (i.e. when should I start worrying that I’m not “on the list”)?

Also, for those that received an offer, was this by email or post? Thanks in advance.

• If you are opted out of Flying Club marketing emails then you won’t get it. You opted yourself out.

• Daisy says:

I had a letter from flying club offering me an additional 11000 miles if I signed up. I rang them and explained I had just taken out the card would I still get the 11000 bonus miles if I hit the spend? Yes the said so long as the card was linked to my flying club account. It’s not!!! So I have now emailed them asking them to link it.

• New Card says:

I’ve just checked my VA Flying Club account and I’m opted in to receive both types of marketing emails (“Contact me about Flying Club” and “Contact me about Partners”)… so I should expect to hear soon, I’m hoping…?

• Doug M says:

I was opted out of emails, I cancelled the MBNA card to avoid another fee when we knew it was going. This week I received the Virgin Money offer via letter.
      Wish I hadn’t cancelled the MBNA one as the 0.5% cash back no FX card would have been useful when the final demise of the Lloyds Avios card comes.

8. Mr(s) Entitled says:

Data Point: My Policy confirmation email arrived 14:01. I’ve just chatted with VM and they confirmed it all tracked okay and the promotion was applicable. Chat saved, clock ticking to 6mth check.

I was £1.02 pcm so for that price I’m keeping the policy. I expect VM to honour their end of the agreement too. That is how business works.

• Simon Barlow says:

Ok, so my saved application/quote from Thursday evening should generate the 10,000 points even though it’s less than £2?

9. Roger1* says:

revant? er, relevant.

10. I don’t recommend applying to Virgin for insurance if you have had any historical medical conditions which are in the past. They turned me down for having had breast cancer over ten years ago.

• the real harry1 says:

Isn’t that better/ cheaper premiums for healthy people? (Don’t take it the wrong way. If they eliminate people with health problems, the healthy lot get cheaper premiums.)

• The dualism of healthy and unhealthy people is a myth. People who have been cured of diseases are healthy!

• Roberto says:

Whilst I understand your comment , many of the people here will be skimming over their previous medical history as they were only interested in the cheap miles. The cover was just an irrelevant by-product in the process.. Consider it and the twenty quid as collateral damage almost…

11. Roberto I would suggest failure to declare medical history is tantamount to fraud. I would be very careful about attempting to claim miles in these circumstances, if that is what you have done. Virgin money are a large financial institution and will have (I suspect) ways of checking the information input is accurate.

Anyone ‘forgetting’ information would be best advised to cancel the policy within the cooling off period and re submit based on accurate info. I am 40+ Smoker and got a policy for £12. Is it really worth it?

• Roberto says:

FWIW my poilcies were £1.98 and £1.86.. As two fit slim healthly non smokers we both fall into the low risk category so my policies are not fraudulent as you appear to alude.

I was talking generally about “people” piling in for the miles without any regards to the framework of the deal – the greed is evident when you look at todays other thread.

Buying multiple flights you wont every fly on is not realyy much different to forgetting youre a smoker and signing up for a cheap 6 months worth of life insurance that you cant claim on.

Virtual credit cards , hoover promos and “cheese-gate” as well as non existent pet insurance also come to mind but I for one miss my imaginary cat so cant throw stones at that one..

These offers are ill thought threw by marketers that just dont understand how the world works in some circles. If there rules are open to abuse then someone smart will work an angle..

All the best….

12. Steve says:

@Anika: Hi, you mention that VM has given you an assurance in writing that the deal would be honoured until 4pm Friday 22nd June. Can you share this at all, just in case? I got a quote on the Thursday and purchased around 1pm on Friday for a policy that was just under £7 and intend to keep it for the duration of my mortgage. The VFC miles offer was a deal sweetener; it was comparable with other providers but the miles swung it so would be unhappy if VM didn’t honour what was on their website when I got the quote. Thanks for your efforts.

13. @mkcol says:

Bizarre – refused cover yet only thing I’ve had was a malignant mole burnt off 4 years ago, and father died from lung cancer 35 years ago yet lung cancer wasn’t a condition I could choose from.

I do have tinnitus but there’s no option in the “problems with your ears” section, so had to change my answer.