Virgin Atlantic Sale

The madness continues …. the Iberia ‘90,000 Avios for £200’ deal ends tonight. Let’s do the maths.

In all of the years I’ve been running Head for Points, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a deal get as much attention – globally – as the Iberia ‘90,000 Avios for booking 10 flights you don’t need to fly’ offer this weekend.

We’ve certainly had good Tesco Direct deals in the past which were more generous, such as 2,400 Avios (1,000 Clubcard points) for a £10 printer ink which you could resell on eBay.  These were glitches and got no attention outside the UK.  This deal is NOT a mistake – Iberia has been keen to tell us that! – and it is getting huge amounts of traction across the world.

You can book the Iberia deal here if you still want to jump in or find out more.

To summarise:

• You get 9,000 Avios for every Iberia, Iberia Express or Air Nostrum flight you book by 11pm UK time on Sunday
  • You can earn up to 90,000 Avios per Iberia Plus account
  • You must book on iberia.com
  • Your booking must include your Iberia Plus frequent flyer number
  • Your 9,000 bonus Avios will arrive within 10 days
  • Iberia has confirmed that you do not have to take the flights – you won’t lose the Avios if you don’t
  • One-way flights work fine

So …. if you can find 10 cheap one-way flights on iberia.com for €25 each (Santander to or from Madrid still had availability at that price last night, obviously prices are lowest in Winter) then you are getting 90,000 Avios cheaply.

There are restrictions on using these Avios and I STRONGLY recommend reading my article from yesterday here before booking.

Iberia 90000 Avios

Let’s put the deal in context

I am guessing that between 50,000 and 100,000 seats will be booked under this promotion.  If you think that sounds high, remember that it only requires 5,000 to 10,000 people to book their full quota to hit that number.  You also need to remember that non-UK frequent flyer sites have been going crazy over this deal too – virtually all of them, I have to say, giving less focus to the potential downside risks than we have.

What would 100,000 booked seats mean?

Iberia Group carries 85,000 passengers per day, so this equates to over one full day of passenger numbers!

If you assume all of the bookings are for Q4 2018 and Q1 2019, as that is when fares are cheapest, it will add 0.6% to Iberia’s load factor for those two quarters (management bonuses all round!)

If Iberia pays 0.75p per Avios to Avios Group (which is my best guess) then it will have to hand over £6,750,000 to AGL

Assuming an average ticket price of £20, Iberia will therefore lose £4,750,000, albeit IAG overall sees no loss

The promotion seems to have wiped out every single Iberia seat priced at under €20 for the next 12 months, and a large proportion of those priced under €25

Iberia will see a disproportionately high number of ‘no shows’ over the next year which could have a longer term impact on planning as they will lose track of the ‘genuine’ no show rate which is how they decide how much they can oversell a flight

It is all very odd and, frankly, probably beyond anything that Iberia thought would happen.  There will be some interesting discussions in Madrid on Monday.  Iberia cannot realistically go back on the deal, however, given that it briefed various websites including Head for Points on Friday about how the offer worked.

You can book via the special offer page here if you still want to give it a go before 11pm tonight.  (I’m saying 11pm because that is midnight in Spain and I think Iberia will use that as the closing time.)

Transfer your Shell Drivers Club points to another person (and onto Avios) for free
Important dates for your diary - offers about to close which you shouldn't miss

IHG Sale

Comments

1. the real harry1 says:

So basically I/ we have a 180,000 Avios credit = £1800 and need to find a way to spend them before 1st december 2018 🙂

• sedgie252 says:

Or at least book something for later by Dec 1st. I’m sure you’ll find something nice Harry 🙂

• the real harry1 says:

sedgie – I am not going to let the points lapse

my feline instincts told me that there was no way this was too good to be true (ie get the points in BAEC a/c)

so now we all need to use them via Spanish site

I have £1800 to burn 🙂

2. How do I book/search for availability for hotels on the Iberia website?

• Under the ‘Hotels Cars’ menu option 🙂 May need to be logged in?

• Clicking on ‘hotels’ takes me to a separate site powered by booking.com, with iberia colours, and no option to spend avios (although I can earn them)

• It was letting me spend Avios last night because that is where I got the pricing from.

• Rob do we take the Iberia twitter post as gospel then and we can’t transfer these Iberia avios to BAEC? If that’s the case I’m going to be shouted at by my partner for making us book 20 one way flights. I don’t really want to travel on Iberia and we don’t particularly need 180,000 avios worth of hotel stays but for the purpose of damage limitation can you run a post on uses of 90/180k Iberia avios?

• I have an email from Iberia’s marketing team saying they can, which presumably trumps Twitter. However, even if they can’t, you can book anything you could book via BA Avios (except Flybe and Aer Lingus) with Iberia Avios, unless a 241 is involved.

• Hi Rob I would like to think it trumps a CS agent’s comment on twitter too! Let’s see what happens in 9 days time.

3. Possibly a silly question – I’ve logged in to my Iberia+ account but can’t seem to work out how to make redemption hotel bookings??

4. Robert says:

Well done to those that have managed to book 1o flights with IB’s horrendous website.

i give up…

5. I am puzzled by the comments about not redeeming IB Avios on BA flights. I have just done a search on ib.com and I can see and book (if I had the Avios) a BA flight from Spain to the UK with exactly the same Avios and taxes as on ba.com.

• No problems redeeming IB Avios on BA, except for short haul where you don’t get Reward Flight Saver tax capping. Problems are with other partners, where there are a) no changes or refunds and b) a requirement to book a return.

• the real harry1 says:

you mean we can redeem on IB on BA flights out to place in the sun?

LHR-place in the sun & back?

just without RFS fees?

news to me

6. Well I’ve took the plunge and booked 10 sectors each for myself and my wife so fingers crossed for 90,000 each.

Quick question – I booked most of the flights from the offer landing page but some via the homepage – will this make any difference to actually receiving the bonus as I’ve read on another website that you have to use the landing page specific to this offer?

Cheers and fingers crossed to everyone who has took the plunge that this works out!!

• Gumshoe says:

In Friday’s article Rob expressly says you can book from any page on iberia.com, not just the offer landing page.

7. Can anyone confirm that I can make the booking for all passengers on one booking as long as I add their individual IB Plus numbers? The following from the T&Cs makes me think so:

“For example, if a customer purchases tickets on Iberia.com for three people to fly from Seville to Madrid and two of the people are identified as Iberia Plus members during the purchase process, 9,000 Avios will be credited to both of these people within 10 days of the purchase.”

8. Hi, booked 4 this morning. Just booked another one and l logged out to do something and now i can’t log back in! Tried forgotten password, but it is not responding. I’ve tried on chrome, firefox and IE browsers, but all failed. Anyone else experiencing problems?

• I had various problems over the last few days. Each time, clearing cache/cookies sorted it (or switching browsers).

9. So this may be a silly idea, but I’m curious what would happen if you transfer the points out via aer club or vuelling and then on to BA and then closed the intermediary account (not the IBERIA account, the aer club / vuelling one). Presumably, if the transfer works, you could scream GDPR to get the intermediate account completely wiped so if Iberia tried to claw back the avios there would be no link back to your BAEC account? I.e. there would be no information held about you by the intermediary at all.

Of course that’s *if* you can transfer them out at all, and I suspect that will depend on their systems.

• the real harry1 says:

it’s the golden question

IB say these Avios can’t be transferred out, pure & simple

• the real harry1 says:

I suggest we all transfer them out the minute they land in the a/c 🙂

• Not sure GDPR would help you much.. if I were IAG I would argue that the information is needed for audit and anti-fraud purposes…you can’t ask your bank to forget your debts after all 🙂

10. Slightly OT: Is anyone else seeing problems booking Miami redemptions via BA? I can see there’s availability but it errors when trying to book. Seems to have been like that for several weeks, possibly since the additional Miami flight was added.

Looks like its going to need a phone call.