Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Good British Airways Amex ‘bonus Avios’ promotion – requires registration

If you have a British Airways American Express card, an interesting new promotion should be waiting for you.  The majority of cardholders seem to have it.

Tthat said, looking at the comments below there are a large number who do not, so don’t take it personally if it isn’t there! You might another interesting offer worth registering for, so it won’t be a total waste of two minutes of your life to check.

You need to go to the American Express website here, log in, go to your BA Amex statement page and scroll down to ‘Offers’.

You will see a variant of this:

There appear to be three variants and you don’t get to choose which one you get:

Spend £3000 and get 3000 Avios, up to three times

Spend £1500 and get 1500 Avios, up to three times

Spend £750 and get 750 Avios, up to three times

British Airways American Express special offer

These are the partners who count – note the currency restrictions:

British Airways – £ only

Avis – £ only

BA Holidays – £ only

Heathrow Express – £ only

All (?) Marriott and Starwood hotel brands (check the full list online) – all currencies

You have from the date you register until 31st December to hit the spending target.

The implication – despite the wording saying “a transaction [singular] of £750+” – is that it is based on combined spend, so you can mix and match partners to hit the target.

Be very wary with the Marriott offer.  There is a 3% foreign exchange fee on your British Airways American Express card.  It MIGHT make sense to use your BA Amex when you factor in the value of the base Avios and the bonus, but it also might not.  Anyone with a different credit card with 0% FX fees may want to use that instead and forget about the bonus.

(We will be spending around €800 at a Marriott next month, for example.  With her 2-4-1 voucher already triggered for the year, it will be pointless to use my wife’s BAPP card and pay €24 in fees to trigger 750 bonus Avios and around 1100 base Avios when I have a 0% FX credit card to use instead.)

My view is that this is NOT a bonus so generous that you should chase it.  However, 31st December is a long way away.  REGISTER NOW and then, if your combined spend across these partners hits the £750 / £1500 / £3000 target, you’re sorted.

You need to register by logging in to the Amex website here or via the Amex app.

Comments (93)

• guesswho2000 says:

Nothing for either of us on BAPP.

• Phillip says:

Nothing on our two BA cards.

• Adam says:

Nothing on mine either. Will be calling them when they open.

• Roger says:

None of 3 BAPPs

• twoclicks says:

Nothing either. I’ve given up on these ones as I absolutely never get any of the travel bonus avios / MR related offers, likely since that’s what I already spend huge sums of money on so why would they bother incentivising spending I already do!

• Callum says:

Spend £750 get £7.50 worth of Avios doesn’t seem that great to me? Perfect if you were going to spend anyway, but it’s a pretty trivial amount!

• Lewis King says:

Depends how you spend them. We got wat better value than 1p per avios on our last booking.

• Genghis says:

There’s a difference between selling and buying

• Genghis says:

To explain a bit more for those that are interested:

To take an example, we flew Air Nostrum last month and doing the simple (cash price – avios taxes paid)/avios total got around 8p per avios. Now I would never have paid the cash price for the flight but might have taken the train / driven / did different routing altogether so I would never claim that I got this amount.

But using redemption rates for purchases just doesn’t make sense. I.e. Even if believe I got 2p for this flight, I would never pay that. You can buy the points direct for just over a penny when there’s an offer on and less than a penny indirectly when there’s an offer on. Hell I pay fractions of a penny for mine. I.e. you can use an appropriate substitution price, never a redemption price to work out if picking up avios is a good deal.

• Callum says:

That’s true, I get way more than 1p in value for mine, I was just using the “standard” price for simplicity!

• Kevin says:

I’ll join the ‘nothing for me either’ group.

• Jonesy says:

I received a different offer – spend £400 get 400 Avios up to 3 times. Easier to achieve??