BA Sale

BA Holidays launches short-haul and long-haul luxury sale – cheaper than just booking a flight!

British Airways Holidays has launched a special luxury promotion, valid for both short haul and long haul departures.

There are some decent prices here but you need to book by Tuesday 24th July. The prices are not quite as good as we saw this time last year but they are still very good value for what you get.

You can see the deals available with Club World flights here.

The short-haul Club Europe holidays are here.

The ‘lead in’ flight and hotel offers are:

New York from £1,449 per person – three nights at the 4* Moxy Times Square from £1,449 per person, travelling August 3 – August 28, 2018, with Club World flights from London Gatwick

Seychelles from £2,219 per person – seven nights with breakfast at the 4* Coco de Mer Hotel and Black Parrot suites, Seychelles, travelling 31 October – 15 December, 2018, with Club World flights from London Heathrow

Dubai from £1,389 per person – three nights at the 5* Hyatt Regency Dubai from £1,389 per person, travelling 1 September – 30 September 2018, with Club World return flights from London Heathrow

Barcelona from £269 per person – three nights at the 4* Ilunion Bel Art, Barcelona, travelling 1 November – 9 December 2018, with Club Europe return flights from London Gatwick

Thessaloniki from £599 per person – seven nights with breakfast at the 5* Anastasia Resort & Spa, Thessaloniki, travelling 5 October – 15 October 2018, with Club Europe return flights from London Gatwick

Amsterdam from £269 per person – three nights at the 4* XO Hotels Park West, Amsterdam, travelling 1 January 1 – 31 January 2019, with Club Europe return flights from London Heathrow

Orlando from £1999 per person – seven nights at the 4* DoubleTree by Hilton Orlando Seaworld, travelling 3 September – 20 September 2018, with Club World flights from London Gatwick

These prices are based on two people sharing.  Travel dates vary by destination.

BA Holidays

As usual with BA Holiday you don’t have to pay in full when booking. Apart from a small deposit, you only need to pay the balance five weeks before departure.  This is a substantial extra benefit compared to just booking flights.

Remember that you also earn a bonus 1 Avios per £1 for booking with BA Holidays on top of the Avios you will earn from the flights and from your credit card.  Details of this offer are here.

(One minor downside is that BA Holidays packages do not earn On Business points in BA’s small business loyalty scheme for the flights.  You WILL earn the usual Avios and tier points.)

The BA Holidays Club World promo page is here and the Club Europe short-haul page is here.

To maximise your miles when paying, your best bet is the British Airways American Express Premium Plus card which earns double Avios (3 per £1) when you book at ba.com or via BA Holidays.  You do not get double Avios if you book with the free British Airways American Express card.  Another option is American Express Preferred Rewards Gold which offers double points – 2 per £1 – when you book flight tickets directly with an airline.

LAST DAY: Win 100,000 IHG Rewards Club points with Head for Points
Bits: 100% IHG 'buy points' bonus, join a Hilton McLaren F1 factory tour, extended-stay Marriott Residence Inn opens in Kensington

BA Sale

Comments

1. patchy mcbest says:

I think the holiday deals seem so patchy – a month here or there. Kinda looks like scraps from things they couldn’t sell! I have no doubt it can save a bit of money, but nothing for me unfortunately.

O/T travelled on P/E VS the other day and was amazed by how good it was. Better P/E than BA by a mile. Thanks Rob for your help in getting the points required. Great site.

2. How often does BA have these sales, I need to book a substantial flight/hotel/car package in the autumn when flights for summer 2019 are released?

• Jonathan says:

This will give you a good idea of timing & prices in previous sales although no guarantee prices/destinations will stay the same. Are you looking for somewhere in school holidays? If so I wouldn’t expect much in a sale unless it’s somewhere business focussed with lots of flights e.g. New York can often be very good value in Premium cabins in August/December/Easter.

There’s also a school of thought that you shouldn’t buy (certainly long haul) flights as soon as they’re released as this is the behaviour of the naive or those who have very specific requirements and therefore airlines won’t offer a good price at this point. Best offers are normally around the 8-12 weeks out mark when they can estimate how much spare capacity they have and tempt some discretionary buyers before the price insensitive business travelers appear at circa t – 4weeks. Obviously a gamble that doesn’t work if you know exact dates/destination but unless you want 10F tickets on a specific flight I wouldn’t jump in on release date but monitor prices for a few months & step in when they were at a level I was happy with.

• I’ve also read somewhere a couple of years ago (Economist??) that the magic window to book is T-10 weeks. Would be interesting to find some research.

• Various newspaper articles over the years generally say the 3 month mark is best, yes.

• Yes it’s school holidays, we are chained to these for at least the next 4 years! The plan is to get 2 reward seats with Lloyds upgrade vouchers at T-355 and then book a package with the same flight for my OH. We have done this in the past but paid for the 3rd flight up front, however, experimenting with a few dummy bookings shows that packages can give tremendous value. However, I need to book early enough to make sure we can all be on the same flight!

• Pretty regular, BA Holidays is now where BA dumps flights it can’t sell but where it doesn’t want to reduce the published price.

• Andrew says:

Surely it all depends on how you define “Summer 2019”?

Scottish Schools finish at the end of June. Bizarrely, a flight on BA from EDI or GLA to MCO for a week on Saturday 28th June costs under £500 – so peak flights. Flights on the same legs from LON to MCO, before the English holidays start, cost £850…

• Yes, MCO is unaffordable for a lot of people now, though I would refuse to pay that anyway!

• Lady London says:

There are several airports within easy driving distance of MCO such as TPA. If you really need to get to that area I’d even consider Sarasota or Naples via US domestic connection and there are several others. One way car hire within Florida usually doesn’t have any surcharge so you can pick up at one airport and drop at another.

• But…of all the wonderful places in the world (and much on our doorstep), isn’t Orlando just tedium personified? Many just go because so many other families do.
        An American Dubai.

• Yes but you can give your brain a complete rest from entertaining kids for a fortnight because it’s all there on a plate, which you almost can’t put a price on – until they made it so outrageously expensive!

Yes LL, I am definitely considering making it a 2-centre holiday next time with a stop in NYC or similar.

3. I booked a reward ticket using Avios in QR. any idea why the “Rewards for this flight” would be showing 140 Tier Points? I wouldn’t expect any TPs for a reward flight, surely??

• Because their IT is messed up – although there is a chance it posts. Similarly, crediting BA redemptions to AA can occasionally lead to them posting.

4. Gary Oswald says:

The Club World Link isn’t working for me. Anyone else having the same problem?

5. SouthernEM says:

I love looking at these sales and dreaming. Dreaming because as a single traveller, these prices are not applicable. Any ideas for the single traveller who likes a bit of luxury?

• Vicky says:

If you fiddle around you can submit “1 traveller” I just got a decent deal on club flights to New York and 3 nights at the Moxy for £1700. A little bit more than the sale prices for 2 travellers but all the more space for me in the hotel 🙂

• Mansplaining says:

Would you not prefer slightly less space in your room, but more fun?

• Hotel rooms in the US are generally priced per room, not per person. Package deals for 1 person are still a great bargain, see my post above about how we travel as a family of 3 (2 of redemptions, one on a paid booking).

• 1nfrequent says:

I have the same issue – what sort of budget are you on?

If you’re single and don’t have children so that you’re flexible in your holiday dates then keep an eye out on the blogs and FT for sales fares and ex-EU deals on flights (ex-DUB or ex-INV is better for the US if you’re looking at the Far East then Finnair is good from the UK).

For hotel rooms, if you’re not married to loyalty schemes so that points can be used to bring the costs down, then I’d recommend hotels.com (although it doesn’t offer loyalty nights/discounts on some chains).

1F

6. Tubbs says:

I’m having trouble when looking at BA Holidays with flights originating outside UK (specifically DUB). I am forced to navigate away from the BA Hols page. I can search for flight+hotel or flight+car but only if the hotel or car if for the entire holiday rather than a few days. Any workaround?

• Stu N says:

Nothing works reliably in my experience. I usually price up from London then add domestics and check it’s still reasonable. Benchmark is about £150 pp for CE connections from Edinburgh, sometimes it’s a bit more than that, sometimes a bit less.

Occasionally on long haul flights the connections reduce the overall price; our thanksgiving trip to DC a couple of years ago was a couple of hundred cheaper than starting in London. Flip side is if sale fares are ex London only, the domestic can add thousands.

• Why on earth would you choose to fly CE (domestic) as a basic add-on in such a circumstance?

• Stu N says:

Not everyone lives in London so you have to get to Heathrow/ Gatwick somehow, and if you book your onward flight in CE or F then the domestics go into CE too. And I rather like CE anyway, as long as you get it for reasonable money and Row 1 is available.

• Stu N says:

(Unless you mean the scenario that adds thousands to the package. In that case you either don’t book it, or sort the domestics separately accepting issues that come with separate tickets.)

• Tier points too

7. Simon says:

Do these packages earn hotel points / enjoy their tier benefits?

• Stu N says:

No, they are third party travel agent bookings. You might get lucky with individual hotels but wouldn’t bank on that.

8. Sadly as ever these promos are pretty poor unless travelling as (a) a couple and (b) from London 🙁

• KBuffett says:

Perfect

• badly designed penguin says:

these places in europe will be ice cold in winter. visiting places like amsterdam when it’s freezing versus beautifully sunny is completely different. this ‘sale’ from that perspective is terrible. however, hopefully it helps somebody save a bit of money :).

9. I cannot imagine that BA holidays will ever come on radar – unless desperate to pick up points. Even then, sanity must be questioned. Similar for a fraction of the price always available elsewhere.

• Fiona says:

Tim that isn’t always true. I do a lot of research for my holidays and BA have beaten everything else several times.

• If you are going to buy a BA premium cabin flight, it is obviously a good deal if the flight and hotel price comes out lower than the flight itself!

• Hostels are always available for £5 to £50 per night so why pay £1000??

• Yep I’m with Fiona – you are just wrong. I got my hotel in Crete this September at a massive discount booking with a BA flight – I just checked again today as it happens, against what is being charged today for the room I still got a very good price.

• We had a brilliant time in January for 4 nights in Valencia -club Europe flights and a really nice central apartment for £300 each which we found on one of these BA holiday sales . The sun shone and it helped my partner to keep his silver status into the bargain….and I had a lovely birthday treat ????

10. The Thessaloniki one would be PERFECT for my annual birthday trip which my partner and I do every year in mid-October going to southern seas

11. Thewiseone says:

OT but I have been given the option to take the new Virgin cards with the added bonus i.e. 11k for the free card and 33k for the £160 card. In general what are peoples feelings about this offer? I am tempted to take it as I am starting to move away from BA as I know a big devaluation is coming and their product is poor. However, I also think the £160 is steep when the voucher is useless as I am never going to get status with them.

Thanks for any help in advance.

• Mark2 says:

I think that you have answered your own question.
      Do you know that there that a big devaluation is coming or do you just ‘feel it in your water’?

• As no-one knows what 60k will get in terms of KLM and Air France redemptions no-one knows. However, in the worst case scenario 62,500 is £250 of Virgin Group vouchers so you are £90 up on that ….

• Thewiseone says:

62,500? I thought the deal was 33,000. Am I missing something?

Mark2, it is widely rumoured that an Avios deval is coming next year. Hence, my decision to run those miles down now as my gut feeling on that is that it will be brutal.

• Yes, there are two versions on the Virgin Reward+ promo. Customers seen as more valuable got 60k.