Europe’s largest Residence Inn opens in Kensington

If you travel to London for extended periods, you may want to take a look at the new Residence Inn by Marriott which has just opened in Kensington.

Situated on Warwick Road nears Earls Court, the property contains 319 suites ranging from studios to 2-bedrooms.  All rates include free breakfast and all suites include a kitchen if you want to cook for yourself.

It is not a new build, but a conversion and refurbishment of an apartment hotel complex called Think Apartments which opened in 2007.  The building is just behind the big Tesco supermarket that you pass on the way to Heathrow from Central London.

This will be the largest Residence Inn in Europe and the third largest globally.  This is the second Residence Inn in London following the London Bridge opening last year.

Marriott Rewards redemptions are 40,000 points per night.  1-Bed Suites are bookable on points but don’t get too excited – they are advertised as being a relatively small 24-27 square metres.  Cash rates start from £180.  The hotel website is here.

Residence Inn by Marriott London Kensington

How to earn Marriott Bonvoy points via UK credit cards

As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Marriott Bonvoy points from UK credit cards.  Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses!

Do you know that holders of The Platinum Card from American Express receive FREE Marriott Bonvoy Gold status for as long as they hold the card?  It also comes with Hilton Honors Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold, Shangri-La Golden Circle Jade and Melia Rewards Gold status.  We reviewed American Express Platinum in detail here.

Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Marriott Bonvoy points.  That page is regularly updated with the latest special offers and will still be accurate even if you are reading this article months after publication.

IHG launches new 'buy points' bonus - up to 100%
Good BA Amex 'bonus Avios' promotion - requires registration

Hilton India and SEA sale

Comments

1. Roger says:

Any ideas on what destinations I should be looking at in order to get 4 CW seats.
    We have two 241 vouchers to use and cannot see many destinations with good availability.

• Mark2 says:

I was looking at Toronto today and there seemed to be lots of seats in CW.

• the pitch says:

Mexico city has great availability, we booked 2 months ahead for the late May bank holiday. A lot of the time they have 8 seats in CW. A great destination in its own right but you can also pick up flights to cancun or Puerto Escondido etc from there for cheap.

• Kevin says:

New York? When do you want to go? Have you used the baredemption finder site? Very helpful for looking for multiple seats with a calendar view.

• Roger says:

Thanks,
        MEX, YTO seems to have 4 seat availability.
        Looking up on BAREDEMPTIONFINDER as well.

• Middle East generally has lots, Beijing, Hong Kong ….

• Tracy says:

Lima seems to have plenty of seats, 6 or 7 on many days I’ve been looking at next summer.

2. Mikee says:

O/T: Looking to pay my Amex Dollar Intl Charge Card bill of $1800 but Caxton is charging £50 with a very bad exchange rate vs Revolut rate.
    Still can’t pay Amex via Transferwise or Revolut as they don’t allow SWIFT transfer and/or provide an Reference Field during the payment process so can’t include my credit card number meaning the transaction will fail.
    Any other cheap options people have used? Thx.

Mikee

• Kbuffett says:

Are you able to pay using Revolut’s debit card?

• the_real_a says:

I have a HSBC $ currency account based in the UK which is free to hold. SWIFT transfers are £4. Transfer your £ to $ via revolut, deposit into HSBC in $ (using UK sort code and account number for free) and make a SWIFT trasnfer from HSBC to the US bank for AMEX for £4

• I pay my $ Amex from my UK HSBC account via online banking. Easy if not cheapest, but I rarely use it – main cost is the fee.

• Mikee says:

Ok great, will go for the HSBC $ option.
          I’ve just tried sending another test payment of $10 from Revolut to Amex in NYC and included my Amex card number in the reference field to see if it works (previously it didn’t but I’m trying again). I would use Transferwise but it didn’t recognise the ACH number and also their reference field only allows 10 characters so is too short.
          Azimo was the cheapest option I could find – will cost me an extra £30 over the Revolut fee-free spot rate option.

• Bagoly says:

I would have thought that Revolut card would work.
          Other option would be a zero/low spread credit card (E.g. Post Office, Halifax) – paying off the credit card in advance.
          With my old Nationwide, I can pre-fund and it would cost me 1%.

3. Graham Walsh says:

Just booking IB flights and had this notice pop up when using my Amex Plat. Never seen this before.

Important notice

You should present your payment card
    For the correct verification of the payment card holder´s identity, the holder must show the card on the day of departure of the flight at the check-in desk. To the contrary, the passenger in the booking will be refused embarkation.
    The card will only be required at the first starting point of the trip (not on the return trip or connecting flights).

Virtual cards
    Virtual cards are not admitted as forms of payment. The purchase of a ticket with a virtual card means you will NOT BE ADMITTED on the flight, being able to fly only by purchasing a new ticket at the time of departure. Return to previous page and modify your form of payment.

You can continue with the purchase by clicking on “buy ticket” or by going back to the previous page.

• Graham Walsh says:

Seems that IB decided to change my Amex Personal to Business without me noticing. Went through 2nd time with the correct Personal Amex setting.

4. ChrisC says:

I got 100% offer so 200k points for approx £760.

Good vslue?

Am still new to the IHG scheme and I don’t appear to have any accelerate offers at the moment. How often do they come out?

• Genghis says:

I like to pick up points cheaply and effectively “run a book” and sell them when needed. I sell at 0.4p so would not buy at this price.

So buy for a specific redemption once you’ve run the numbers (less points earned), not specilatively.