Marriott"

Avios from the Iberia ‘90,000 Avios’ promotion CAN now be transferred to British Airways

Many Head for Points readers took part in the Iberia ‘90,000 Avios for booking 10 one-way Iberia flights you didn’t have to fly’ promotion a few weeks ago.

You can read about it here, here and here.

This was a crazy offer, to put it mildly.  You could buy the cheapest 10 flights you could find, for around €250 all-in, and you’d have 90,000 Avios which – in the worse case scenario that you used them for a hotel room – would be worth £500.  Used for flights you should have been able to get £1,000 of value if used smartly.

When the Avios arrived, however, Iberia added a clause – the points could not be transferred to British Airways Executive Club.

For some people, this was OK.  For many others, who wanted to combine the 90,000 Avios with their existing BAEC balance in order to use a British Airways American Express 2-4-1 voucher, it was not good.

Iberia has now relented.  You will find that you can transfer out your 90,000  Iberia Plus bonus Avios into your British Airways Executive Club account.

Iberia 90,000 Avios now transferable to British Airways

This is – for clarity – exactly what Iberia promised me in writing would be possible when encouraging me to promote the offer on HFP.

However, before you do this, remember one thing.  Iberia also said that, if you do this, your Iberia account will have a negative balance of 90,000 Avios on 1st December because the promotional Avios will be treated as unspent and removed from your account.

You may not care about that.  You may care.  Either way, bear it in mind before you move your Avios into British Airways Executive Club.

The reason for this change of heart, by the way, is a full-page story on this offer which is appearing in The Mail on Sunday tomorrow.

PS.  Remember that Iberia accounts MUST be 90 days old before they can use ‘Combine My Avios’.  If you opened an account specifically for this promotion then put a note in your diary for September.  If your account IS 90 days old but ‘Combine My Avios’ is not working, try this method.

Heathrow Airport now selling Fast Track security access, inc Terminal 5
Bits: back in the T5 Plaza Premium lounge for dinner, bonus Avios or Virgin miles with Tesco Pay+

qatar
IHG

Comments

1. Goran says:

I am still waiting for remaining 27000 points and doubt it I will ever get it. Contacted Iberia twice and apart of generic email never heard back from them.
    64000 Avios for bit more than £200 i still consider as good investment but needless to say 91k would be much better and yes I was full aware from the beginning it has to be used with Iberia before certain date, so not bothered transferring it to BA.

• Chris says:

in the same boat. 63K posted, waiting for 27K. Two emails sent, no replies apart from “we have received your email”.

• the real harry1 says:

Try and badger them a bit more, are you snowflakes or something? Just joshing, I’m sure you’re not really a couple of wusses scared to demand your rightful points 🙂

2. Deyvis says:

After transfering to BA, if I spend avios or movement the account, will it expire on December 1st or not? Shouldn’t BAEC rules be applied to those transfered miles? You guys said that the account will be negativated, if so, then Iberia does not really accepted the original terms.

3. Delbert says:

IB Avios promotion has turned out to be the gift that keeps on giving.

My wife and I are off to Thailand in November and I’ve always wanted to visit Japan, so we’re booking a side trip to Tokyo business class return BKK to NRT on JAL for a total of 155k Avios and £195 in taxes. These flights are showing at £2.4k for two at the moment. I can’t be bothered doing the math but that makes the return on the £424 outlay for the 180k Avios pretty decent.

• If you earned these avios by crediting BA flights to EC, then instead, if you had credited the BA flights to Alaska alrlines, this same flight (including return back to south east asia) would have cost 25k miles per person in business class on JAL.

• Delbert says:

The mind boggles, VK. I’ll bear this in mind for the future as I do earn Avios on BA.

4. I’m still waiting for 9000 points…tried emailing iberia CEO a couple of weeks ago and had the reply they will look into it but have nothing since…tried calling and can’t get through to someone who I can speak to about this…pressed option 1 then 1 then said missing avios but was directed to website
    Any ideas?
    Thanks

5. Plizatnum says:

Is it true that you cannot transfer miles from IB to BA if your BAEC account is part of a household account?

All of my info matches on my IB and BA accounts. In addition, my IB account has been open for 3+ months, and it has a couple thousand miles. But my BA account is part of a household account.

But when I follow the process to combine my avios miles – I ONLY get the option to transfer *from* BA *to* IB. The reverse option of sending avios miles from IB to BA is not available (i.e. there is no radio button for that option on the transaction screen).

The only advantage I see for using BA to book flights using avios miles is because of BA online visibility for finding domestic AA flights.

Anyway – any thoughts on why I am being restricted?

• the streets says:

Do you not have an avios.com account you can transfer it through?

• Delbert says:

You need to transfer your points through avios.com. Transfer points from IB to avios.com then a separate entry to move the points to BA. I’ve a household BAEC account with my wife and I’ve never experienced any problem moving points from IB to Avios to BA or Aer Lingus to Avios to BA, not that this option will be available for much longer anyway.

• Plizatnum says:

Thanks Delbert – I’ll create an account at avios.com, and do as suggested.

Users in the USA can create avios.com accounts, correct?

• Your BAEC account is part of a HHA.

• King K says:

OT, been working diligently collecting points towards my first 241 redemption ever, so would be appreciative of some expert insight on getting it right!
        So here’s where my points currently sit:
        – Around 55K MR points under my name
        – Around 27K MR points under Mrs Name
        – Around 35K in Tesco CC under my name
        – Around 72k in Iberia under my name
        – Around 33K SPG points under my name
        Transferring majority of the above in BAEC is fairly straight forward, apart from the IB ones, which I understand has to be pulled in Avios and then BAEC.
        I have a household BAEC account with my son (under 16 ) as a member.
        Mrs K has her Amex card in her married name but passport under her maiden name. She doesn’t currently have a BAEC account.
        – What would be the best way to transfer the Amex MR points under her name to the BAEC household account so the points can be pooled to use towards my 241?
        – Does she need to have the BAEC account name as the same as her Passport name?
        – Can I use the avios in BAEC towards the 241 voucher in my name ( with her being the named companion)?
        Oh and forgot to mention, the 241 expiry is 31 August 2018, so I have probably left it too late?!
        Any ideas/ advice much appreciated.
        Thanks
        K

6. my worry is not about -90k on iberia after 1st dec, but once IAG merge the avios programmes (as Cruz has said they will), then suddenly all remaining/new avios will disappear. I would love to hear Rob’s thoughts on this situation.

• Brian W says:

I’d love to know this too.

I wonder though, what if the 90k are transferred now to BAEC so your IB balance is zero. You then close your IB account now (or before 1st Dec) before it goes -90k (if that does actually happen).

Surely IB can’t block you closing an account with zero balance. You could always open another in the future could you not?

• the real harry1 says:

It’s a very clear part of the IB T&Cs that you can cancel your a/c on demand

• Delbert says:

It’s a ridiculous scenario. Now that the Avios can indeed be shipped out then I can’t see that IB will put accounts into negative balance in December. Think about the bonkers mathematics involved like 180k – 180k Avios = -180k. Come on.

• Lady London says:

I’m far more concerned about still being able to change any booking I made before 1st December, after 1st December if necessary. That’s in the standard conditions for avios which I assumed would still apply to these avios. Also in the standard conditions for avios is the 25 euros fee to change. I assumed this would be fine if needed after December 1st – and there was nothing about any nonstandard avios terms applying to the purchase of these avios at the time.

I’ve sent Iberia a legal note that as I wasn’t notified of any nonstandard conditiions applying to avios earned under this promotion at the time I purchased I do expect to be able to change any booking I make using these avios, if necessary after 1st December, and that I do not accept any change in terms.

I’m not planning to be unfair in any way I used or earned these avios, all flights I booked could reasonably be used that qualified me for the promotion, and if I find I am forced to change my avios booking after 1st December I still want to be able to do that as with any other avios. I really hope not to get into an argument with Iberia if I have to make a booking change but will fight it as far as I can legally if it turns out to and they won’t let me.

7. Jenni says:

Email from Iberia to John at Loyalty Lobby states clearly, that the Avios can be redeemed for flights, cars and hotels.

I can’t book my intended hotel for a couple of months yet (for September 2019), but I will be extremely unhappy, if they try to backtrack on this, as has been reported recently.

8. I haven’t been able to access the Iberia site for 48 hours…..

• As in it appears to be down…App not working either.

• the real harry1 says:

IB site was working fine across 2 a/cs yesterday, shipped out all remaining points. 1 direct to BAEC. The other to avios.com and onwards to BAEC.

9. I can’t remember if this has been covered (there’s been a lot of Iberia threads to keep on top of) but if you redeem your 90k Avios for Iberia Business class flights, are the taxes refundable as well as the Avios? Thanks 🙂

10. Randy says:

If I leave the Avios in Iberia Plus and book a BA award flight from Iberia Plus:

(1) Which Avios award chart is used? The Iberia Plus chart (often lower) or the BAEC chart (often higher)?

(2) Will I get the benefit of the lower taxes and fees Iberia Plus charges, or will I have to pay the higher BAEC charges?

(3) Will the Iberia Plus or BAEC peak/off-peak dates apply?

• The BA chart

Iberia’s lower taxes and charges only apply to Iberia flights (obvs, as half the saving is APD as you’re starting in Madrid)

BA peak dates

11. Scott says:

Am I right in saying transatlantic flights on American booked through IB avios have to be roundtrip? Thanks

• Yes, all partners must be round trip. No open jaw either. And NOT refundable or changeable.

12. A ‘Trick’ to move avios points out of Iberia account that has just worked for me… I kept either receiving an error message about my account having timed out (when on mobile) or only being able to move points from avios to Iberia when trying to CMA. Out of curiosity, I sent 100 points from avios to Iberia (instant transfer) and then reloaded the CMA screen. Suddenly I was able to move avios in both directions (specifically IB->avios) and in any size chunk I wanted. Result 🙂

13. DaveP says:

Just gone to Iberia website to transfer Avios to BAEC to find that the transfer function within the ‘Buy, Give Away or Transfer Avios’ section has been removed! only the Purchase option is visible.

IT glitch or sneaky move by Iberia?

• Genghis says:

I moved some earlier. Pull from avios.com and then pull from BA (the push from avios.com wasn’t working).

• Guesswho2000 says:

Their site’s a nightmare, do it from the BAEC end (or Avios.com if you have a BA HHA)

• Doesn’t work via IB anyway. Best to do it all from avios.com – pull from IB then push to BA.

• the real harry1 says:

I transferred 90K fine IB to BAEC (megoodwife). No HHA where she is concerned.

14. I booked 2 economy returns on IB with the 90k miles in Blue class after transfers were stated as blocked. Can I cancel those flights, get a tax/charge/Avios refund and then transfer the miles to BAEC?

• In theory but if you want the flights I would leave them – saves cancellation fees and removes any risk of negative balances in December.

• the real harry1 says:

Inadvisable – in the same boat – not going to do that just to potentially save on RFS etc. T&Cs advise you’ll lose.

• Thanks both. Happyish with the bookings but that 90k with my other BAEC stash would have been a nice business treat for me and missus with 241 voucher. Wasn’t aware Ts&Cs forbade this?

15. Rob, thank you for all the great articles; Good News – Iberia account opened on June 23rd, 10 flights purchased for Jan – Mar 2019, 90,000 Avios arrived before the end of July, but I do not seem to be able to move points from Avios or BA to Iberia – looking to get to 220,000 for 2 business class seats next April LHR-YYZ. Do I need to wait until September 23rd to move points into my Iberia account – Also is there a trick to buy BA PE tickets, all I can seem to see is Blue, Business or First.

• Rob, Found the article in the university so can answer my first question – I do need to wait 3 months.