Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Get a 25% bonus when you transfer HSBC Premier credit card points to Avios

HSBC Premier has launched a (targeted?) 25% bonus on points transfers to Avios.

This is a little surprising, since in October 2016 they said that they were ending their annual 50% bonus promotion and – in 2017 – followed through.  Now it is back, albeit at a lower level.

HSBC Premier Mastercard Avios transfer bonus

You will see a notification when you log in to your card account and the terms and conditions are on the HSBC website.

The 25% bonus applies to all transfers of HSBC Premier credit card points to British Airways Executive Club before 31st August.  Note that the bonus element may take up to 14 days to arrive.

Comments (96)

• Niall Johnston says:

Just spoke with a Premier Associate and they received an email about this yesterday. The email says the offer is available in September and not August! After much holding, HSBC agreed to pay 25% (actually rounded up a bit “because it is our fault”) of the points used back into my account. The guy on the Premier line was very helpful and apologetic.

• Polly says:

Thank goodness l photographed the pop up banner on my log in page showing the end of August. Actually had to go into my branch yesterday to do the transfer. Insisted l changed my browser, and wipe all,history off just todo The Transfer! They better honour my 25% uplift. Had already spent hours on the phone with Csa who claimed they must transfer online, not manually. All the other transfer boxes opened easily apart from the miles option.
      The cynic in me thinks that maybe HSBC are regretting the offer and privately have blocked it. It admitted there was a major IT problem with their airlines box. I wonder why…
      Waiting now for 2 weeks to check.

• Polly says:

Niall
      Don’t know who you spoke to but banner on mine today still clearly states end 31st August. And photographed it again today just in case. So would NOT believe what you are told by that Csa. They are known NOT to have a clue, from past experience.
      And certainly would not advise people to wait til September, when the promotion could well be over! Think they just got their months mixed up…

• Thywillbedone says:

FWIW, I spoke with a supervisor yesterday on this issue. The reason I ended up speaking with a supervisor is that a large item of spend did not track for reward points – they are looking into why this did not happen as there was no issue with eligibility of the spend (which the agent I spoke to initially claimed was the case).

Anyway, the super could see the bonus offer on his system and said it ran “1 August to 31 August, 25% bonus,’ …that ‘the bonus would be applied by Avios automatically’ after the conversion was completed (as I explained I could not see the bonus amount when I was at the ‘calculate avios’ screen. That was good enough for me on a recorded line.

• Julio says:

I requested the redemption on Monday and the Avios have landed in my BAEC account including the 25% bonus Avios.
    I never saw the banner about the promotion on my online banking even once so this is open to all Premier cardholders.
    If you can’t redeem online use a different browser and allow pop-up windows.
    Thank you HfP!

• Zana711 says:

Transferred online 10 Aug and got my Avios including 25% bonus today. Never seen the banner promotion once nor did I ever get an email. I did have a confusing conversation with HSBC customer service and she was initially insistent that the promotion is running in Sept. After asking her to Google terms and conditions and she putting me on hold to speak to her supervisor, she then said that “it must be running in August too!”. Typical HSBC premier service! She was also very insistent that the second lot of 40,000 points is an anniversary bonus and no chance getting them before then. Win some lose some.