Hilton

Bits: 25% bonus on HSBC Premier to Avios transfers, new Heathrow Rewards sign-up bonus, 40% bonus buying Hyatt points

News in brief:

25% bonus when you transfer HSBC Premier credit card points to Avios

HSBC Premier has launched a (targeted?) 25% bonus on points transfers to Avios.

This is a little surprising, since in October 2016 they said that they were ending their annual 50% bonus promotion and – in 2017 – followed through.  Now it is back, albeit at a lower level.

You will see a notification when you log in to your card account and the terms and conditions are on the HSBC website here (PDF).

The 25% bonus applies to all transfers of HSBC Premier credit card points to British Airways Executive Club before 31st August.  Note that the bonus element may take up to 14 days to arrive.

HSBC Premier Mastercard Avios transfer bonus

New Heathrow Rewards bonus for lower spenders

The UK Avios programme has a generous special offer for joining Heathrow Rewards which we have plugged a few times recently.

As you can see on this page, you will receive 3,000 bonus Heathrow Rewards points when you sign up using code AVIOSAO18 and spend £150 in one transaction before the end of the year.

Some people may find £150 too much.  In that case, it turns out that Aer Lingus AerClub has an offer of its own.

As you can see on the Irish Avios site hereyou will receive 1,500 bonus Heathrow Rewards points when you sign up using code AERCAO18 and spend £75 in one transaction.

It is only half as many bonus points – but you only need to spend half the money.

World of Hyatt buy points bonus

30%-40% bonus when you buy World of Hyatt points

Until 21st August, Hyatt is offering a targeted bonus of either 30% or 40% when you buy World of Hyatt points via this link.

40% is as big as World of Hyatt bonuses get.  It is also the most generous, with the full 40% bonus kicking in with a purchase of just 5,000 points.  Unfortunately my wife and I got less generous options of 35% and 30% respectively.

The deal is obviously worth a look if you need to top up your account.  It may also be worthwhile if considering a stay in a top tier Park Hyatt such as the ones in Paris or Sydney, where buying the points may be cheaper than paying cash.

With a 40% bonus, you are paying $1,320 for 77,000 points (55,000 plus a 22,000 bonus).  That works out at 1.71c – or 1.30p – per point.

The new Park Hyatt resort in Mallorca is a location where buying points may make sense.   Prices for cash are over £400 during August so a redemption at 20,000 points per night (£260) would be a deal.

The Hyatt ‘buy points’ site is here if you want to check your bonus.

VERY generous Hilton promo - 2500 Miles & More miles (worth £25) on every stay
Review of the Aspire lounge at Belfast City Airport

IHG
IHG

Comments

1. O/T is combine my avios down? Tried yesterday and today from Avios site and keep getting error message “combine my avios is currently unavailable”

2. OT: I am taking a United flight from London to Chicago on Saturday. It was booked though a company that’s paying for the trip. I can see my assigned seat in the online system, but if I try to change it I see the message “You cannot select a seat for this type of reservation.”.

Any workarounds to change my assigned seat? I have been assigned a very, very poor seat.

Thanks!

• I don’t know about United but AA now assign your seats when you’re booking an economy ticket and you don’t seem to be able to change them. We booked early and relatively cheap so maybe they like to make sure those who pay the least get the worst seats? Our seats are also rubbish, right at the back!

3. Does the 25% Premier offer apply to the World Elite card too? I just spoke to HSBC Premier as there was no note about it on the redemption page of the website and they didn’t know anything about it!

• I just had a standard cardholder email me asking if it was just for WE! No logic it seems.

• This is turning out to be quite a confusing offer! The HSBC help desk don’t seem to know about the 25% promo. This is the live chat message I had: ‘Right I can see that it says 25% and twitter says 30%. Please call our premier department to confirm this we have not been given any update on this. Can I give you a number to ring please?’

4. I logged in about 5 times to try and get a popup for the HSBC offer – I didn’t, but I did get a small advert about the bonus at the bottom left of my account page. So it may not be targeted, just badly advertised.

5. Mandy Hucker says:

HSBC have a ‘technical hitch’ ! on transferring the points to Avios. You have to call 03457707070 and arrange for them to do it manually. They will do mine by Monday !

6. BA-flyer says:

Dos anyone know if Amex annual fee refunds are calculated to the day or month?

7. Bentoni says:

I just tried with a different browser with no ad blocker, still don’t see the 25% bonus point offer 🙁

I’ve also phoned the premier telephone banking team, and they have no clue either ..

Do I have to transfer via a certain link for it? or just the normal process

• Alexandra says:

You need to phone in and ask them to Google 25% extra avios HSBC and then they will see the offer themselves.

Say that the online transfer doesn’t work and ask them to manually process it and get them to confirm that the redemption is going to be the bonus offer rather than a normal redemption.

If any issues later their phone calls are recorded so you can refer back to it.

The bonus avios will be added 14 days later.

• Bentoni says:

Thanks Alexandra,

I just phoned about, and the guy on the phone insisted that they cannot transfer it manually on their side ..

I guess I will be missing out the offer 🙁

• Alexandra says:

Oh no, I called in and managed to get them transfer it manually.
          I stated that I was asking for the manual transfer as there is an error on the website which shouldn’t prevent me from getting the bonus avios.
          The offer is valid till end of August so plenty of time still.

8. Absolutely nothing on my account homepage – Will try calling them…

9. The offer is shown at the bottom right-hand-side of my Credit Card account page – not within the premier points section when you follow the link. If you click on this advert you get a PDF with the full t’s and c’s of the offer, the bonus points should arrive in your account separately within 14 days as noted above.

• I’m beginning to think the 25% bonus is targeted to a few rather than for all. I’ve had no luck,no matter what l’ve done or who l’ve phoned at hsbc. 🙁

10. Nilesh says:

Sorry to be slightly OT (cant find where else to post this) but is there a link where you get bonus MR points for upgrading from Amex Gold to Platinum. Have called Amex and they say there is nothing on my account.

Just wanted to check – otherwise am going to cancel my Gold Card.

11. Nilesh says:

Actually I have checked that it is a Charge card.
    How do I go about upgrading this to platinum with the 20k bonus? When I called them they said they had no such offers.

12. I couldn’t redeem the points online using Firefox, I called in and was told to use Internet Explorer or Chrome instead, I tried with Chrome and a pop-up blocker alert came up, I allowed the pop-ups from servicing.hsbc.co.uk and I could redeem online.
    The terms and conditions state “To be eligible for this offer you must be registered for online banking as redemption can only be made through online banking.”.
    As posted by others above I didn’t see the offer advertised in my online banking either, but I was told that if the 25% extra Avios didn’t shop up in my BAEC account after 14 days I should call back and they’d credit my HSBC points balance with 25% of the points I redeemed to BAEC.

13. Niall Johnston says:

Just spoke with a Premier Associate and they received an email about this yesterday. The email says the offer is available in September and not August! After much holding, HSBC agreed to pay 25% (actually rounded up a bit “because it is our fault”) of the points used back into my account. The guy on the Premier line was very helpful and apologetic.

• Thank goodness l photographed the pop up banner on my log in page showing the end of August. Actually had to go into my branch yesterday to do the transfer. Insisted l changed my browser, and wipe all,history off just todo The Transfer! They better honour my 25% uplift. Had already spent hours on the phone with Csa who claimed they must transfer online, not manually. All the other transfer boxes opened easily apart from the miles option.
      The cynic in me thinks that maybe HSBC are regretting the offer and privately have blocked it. It admitted there was a major IT problem with their airlines box. I wonder why…
      Waiting now for 2 weeks to check.

• Niall
      Don’t know who you spoke to but banner on mine today still clearly states end 31st August. And photographed it again today just in case. So would NOT believe what you are told by that Csa. They are known NOT to have a clue, from past experience.
      And certainly would not advise people to wait til September, when the promotion could well be over! Think they just got their months mixed up…

14. Thywillbedone says:

FWIW, I spoke with a supervisor yesterday on this issue. The reason I ended up speaking with a supervisor is that a large item of spend did not track for reward points – they are looking into why this did not happen as there was no issue with eligibility of the spend (which the agent I spoke to initially claimed was the case).

Anyway, the super could see the bonus offer on his system and said it ran “1 August to 31 August, 25% bonus,’ …that ‘the bonus would be applied by Avios automatically’ after the conversion was completed (as I explained I could not see the bonus amount when I was at the ‘calculate avios’ screen. That was good enough for me on a recorded line.

15. I requested the redemption on Monday and the Avios have landed in my BAEC account including the 25% bonus Avios.
    I never saw the banner about the promotion on my online banking even once so this is open to all Premier cardholders.
    If you can’t redeem online use a different browser and allow pop-up windows.
    Thank you HfP!

16. Zana711 says:

Transferred online 10 Aug and got my Avios including 25% bonus today. Never seen the banner promotion once nor did I ever get an email. I did have a confusing conversation with HSBC customer service and she was initially insistent that the promotion is running in Sept. After asking her to Google terms and conditions and she putting me on hold to speak to her supervisor, she then said that “it must be running in August too!”. Typical HSBC premier service! She was also very insistent that the second lot of 40,000 points is an anniversary bonus and no chance getting them before then. Win some lose some.