Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Get a 25% bonus when you transfer HSBC Premier credit card points to Avios

HSBC Premier has launched a (targeted?) 25% bonus on points transfers to Avios.

This is a little surprising, since in October 2016 they said that they were ending their annual 50% bonus promotion and – in 2017 – followed through.  Now it is back, albeit at a lower level.

HSBC Premier Mastercard Avios transfer bonus

You will see a notification when you log in to your card account and the terms and conditions are on the HSBC website.

The 25% bonus applies to all transfers of HSBC Premier credit card points to British Airways Executive Club before 31st August.  Note that the bonus element may take up to 14 days to arrive.

Comments (96)

• Ian M says:

Hmm I’ve got a decent stash of HSBC points but 25% isn’t really enough to tempt me away from saving them for Singapore Airlines! Bagged a new Suites Class flight for later this month. I had waitlisted 2 flights and they both cleared. I’ve had good experiences with their waitlist option. It’s a great feature.

• Guesswho2000 says:

I’d agree, especially in the UK, Avios are easy to earn, SQ miles not so much!

• Matthew says:

Out of interest, what route did you wait list for? Thanks

• Annabelle says:

Logging in to my account and trying to redeem the points with difficulty! The button to click on for air miles / travel not responsive. The other three options (charitable donation / gift cards etc…. ) work. Tried it on two devices and using safari and chrome. Anyone else same?

• Ian M says:

I’ve had that problem before. It’s just badly designed sure. But I can’t remember the answer. I’ll login and double check

• Ian M says:

Well that’s odd, just checked and it’s working fine now. But I definitely had the same problem as you in the past. I spoke to their live chat and it was something very simple. But I can’t remember what the solution was. It could have been not having an airline already linked to my account, not sure!

• KSB says:

Is a pop-up, so turn off pop-up blocker for that site.

Unfortunately I moved 100k points at the end of July, missed the bonus 🙁

• Andrew says:

Same issue

I just called HSBC Premier (from NZ where I currently am!), and the muppet on the end of the phone could not understand the problem, and said I need to go into my BAEC account and request the points to go in from there, as they are having a “problem” with the HSBC site…. laughable

On another note – how long have people had to wait after the 12th statement is produced to receive the extra 40k points ?? (Spent over the required threshold by month 3 but despite multiple calls I did not get the bonus points as apparently they are “anniversary” only points)

• Polly says:

they have updated the t and c now to say after 1st year. You will have a battle as they take the 2nd yr fee.

• Jonathan says:

I got a World Elite card when first launched and original T&C’s were a touch vague so had the battle with them regarding 10k bonus & 2nd year non-refundable fee. They eventually relented & agreed to cancel card & refund fee. Fee was promptly refunded but they then sent me a form to cancel card which I “misplaced” so am coming up to second anniversary now. Will definitely be cancelling this year though as have PP through AmEx Plat & BA Silver so no benefit from Lounge Key & better return from new Virgin mastercards

• WTL says:

Had the same issue on my mobile but when logging in via a pc/website it was fine

• Nick says:

I had exactly the same problem and it turned out that it was the browser. It won’t work with Safari (Macs), so you have to use Firefox or Internet Explorer. Hope that helps!

• ChampagneSocialist says:

I had the same problem and was using Safari on Mac, thanks!
        The promo comes at a good time for me.. I have the Elite MC for the 2nd year only because I stupidly forgot to cancel the card before the end of Year 1, even though I was awarded the 20,000 miles bonus when I reached £4,000 spend and before they charged me the 2nd year of annual fee. As I’ve now got >160,000 Elite points stashed in the account now, the 25% bonus (>20k Avios) makes the annual fee worthwhile 🙂

• Ben Toudic says:

I have 120,000 avios points on HSBC. Is it worth sticking then in BA for a c30,000 avios bonus?

• Ian M says:

If you plan to use them for avios then yes?

• TGloyalty says:

Stopped speculative transfers to Avios.

So many ways to earn Avios in the UK why waste convertible points on it

• AviosNewbie says:

Very timely HSBC promo!! I transferred 102k points over the weekend… ????????????

• Dan says:

I’m not seeing the promotion on my account. Is it targeted?

• Yuff says:

Nice bonus, don’t need any at the moment but I have several hundred thousand points over mine and mrs Yuff’s accounts so tempted but not sure……

• tim linnell says:

Anyone know if you can use Heathrow Rewards Vouchers to buy vouchers and pre-paid credit cards in WH Smiths? I have a stack of them and nothing I really want to buy at Heathrow.

• Jim says:

Wetherspoons T2 – pint of beer and a full English? M&S T5 and T3? Plasters and nightnurse at Boots? There is a way to convert the double-up bonus into cash and also gat another £30… but I’m keeping quiet on that one. After all, spend £150 and potentially receive £140 back is something to keep quiet about 🙂

• Jim says:

£130 back I meant. And that is dependent on the double-up bonus running next year too 🙂

• Kavajo says:

Does anyone know if you can churn the HSBC card? And if so, how long do you have to wait before you reapply?

• Poll says:

One chap cancelled and reapplied after 8 mths got the bonus again. But no referrals possible w this lot.