Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

How to get Avis Preferred Plus status from your Priority Pass

Here’s something I didn’t know.  If you have a Priority Pass airport lounge access card, you can claim Preferred Plus status with Avis.

American Express Platinum – who may have supplied your Priority Pass – comes with standard Avis Preferred status, but this is one level higher.

Avis Preferred Plus usually requires five Avis rentals in a year and €1,000 of spending.  The benefits are not huge:

priority car availability

a free extra driver on every trip (already a free benefit if you book via the BA Avis website)

a complimentary vehicle upgrade whenever possible

voucher for a free European weekend rental after your 3rd rental

You can find out more about the different Avis status levels on their website here.

You can claim your Preferred Plus status by following the link on this page.  There is also a notional ‘20% discount’ for Priority Pass members although this may not beat other partner rates such as the BA one.

Comments (174)

• Steve says:

OT – trying to book/find some RFS to SFO next year. Difficult at the best of times I know but actually seems to be good availability for when we want/need to go. However I am trying to bring the cost down by looking at IVN or JER for our departure point but, unless I am missing something obvious, the projected savings on taxes etc. are nowhere near what I seem to recall reading here in months gone by.

• New Card says:

OT – Is anyone experiencing a delay receiving Amex referral points at the moment? I’ve now been waiting 10 days for 18k due from a Platinum referral…

• Genghis says:

Yes. Received yesterday, 16 days from instant application for BAPP.

• GeoffGeoff says:

Less than a week from application for the 9k Avios for a BAPP-Gold referral just a week or so ago. (I understand referrals to a card with a different reward currency have just become unavailable, but I must have just beaten this change.)

• The Lord says:

OT – Recently became Hilton Gold. Thoughts on best Hilton breakfast in the world?

• Simon says:

TR – saw you mention St Petes Beach and Clearwater yesterday…. Any tips for the best hotel in the area for 2 adults and 2 kids. Got Orlando CW redemptions but fancied some flop/beach time too. Thanks

• Doug M says:

I love the Bilmar in Treasure Island. I guess it’s a bit motel, but is right on the beach, has two pools, and is very relaxed. A more expensive option there is the Treasure Island Beach Resort, looks really nice but I’ve never stayed there. For me it’s far less about the hotel, and far more about being able to walk out the room onto the sand, obviously this requires a sea facing ground floor room, but you follow I’m sure 🙂

• BluehorizonUK says:

Seriously OT but does anyone have a referral code for Laundrapp? Thanks

• John2 says:

OT
    HUGE THANKS to Rob, Anika and all comments.
    Just booked Waldorf Astoria Amsterdam and CE seats return for £90 cash. Possible only to you

• N says:

OT: Any top tips for Chile?

• Kevin says:

OT Platinum House morning report.

Took two friends in on Sunday morning. It was pretty busy with Plat members and people who had come in for Equinox classes. Brunch bowls were: acacado and egg, ham hock, mushrooms with sourdough and fruit skewers. All very good. You could have Buck’s Fizz, a Bloody Mary or tea/coffee/smoothie.

I didn’t take an exercise class or have a beauty treatment.

The whiskey room was closed but it would have been good if it was open as a bar overspill.

It was more fun in the evening but I’m still pleased I made it for a morning. I hope they bring it back next year.

• Albert says:

+1. Went to James Bay Thursday night, then Yoga and brunch bowl Saturday morning, then Alexa Chung’s party on Saturday night. Almost got my annual fee’s worth in drinks from the open bar.