IHG

Bits: 100% bonus when you buy IHG points, Amazon gift cards DO count for £5 Amex cashback credit

News in brief:

100% bonus when you buy IHG Rewards Club points

IHG Rewards Club – the InterContinental, Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza etc scheme – is running another sale with a bonus of 100% when you buy over 5,000 points. 100% is as generous an offer as you will ever see for IHG points.

The deal ends on 31st October.

The page to buy points is here.  It does not seem to be a targeted offer.

(EDIT: it seems it is targeted and some people only have an 80% bonus.  I don’t recommend it on that basis unless you have a particular redemption need.)

The standard prices, before the bonus, are:

• 1,000 – 10,000 points for $13.50 per 1,000 points
  • 11,000 – 25,000 points for $11.50 per 1,000 points
  • 26,000 – 60,000 points for $10 per 1,000 points

With a 100% bonus, you would be able to buy 120,000 IHG points for (at current exchange rates for $600) £455.

At the top end of the IHG Rewards Club portfolio, you have InterContinental properties which top out at 60,000 – 70,000 points per night. That’s what you would pay for InterContinental Le Grand in Paris or the InterContinental Amstel in Amsterdam pictured below.

You should look at this if you have a ‘buy points’ target for the latest Accelerate promotion – although it makes more sense to buy 5,000 and get the bonus than buy 1,000 for no bonus.  If you are topping off your account, it is also a good deal irrespective of the exact cents per point cost.  The maximum number of points you can buy per year is 200,000 (ie 100,000 plus the 100,000 bonus if you were offered the maximum 100% extra).

You can buy via this link.  The offer ends on 31st October.

IHG Rewards Club 100% buy points bonus

Amazon gift cards DO count for the £5 American Express cashback offer

On Tuesday, we wrote about how American Express and Amazon have launched another of their occasional cashback offers.  And it is a generous one.

If you are targeted, you will receive £5 cashback on your next £20+ purchase on amazon.co.uk made with your American Express card.

To see if you are targeted, you need to log into your online American Express account and look at the offers tab for EACH card you have.  You should also look under any supplementary cards which you have registered.

It wasn’t clear if ordering an e-gift card for delivery to yourself – and crediting to your own Amazon account – worked.  I can confirm it does.

I ordered a £20 e-gift card for myself. I got an immediate confirmation from American Express that I had triggered the offer ‘if your transaction meets the offer terms’.  Yesterday, the £5 cashback appeared on my Amex Platinum statement:

You can buy an e-gift card for yourself, or top up your balance, via this page of amazon.co.uk.

If you go to amazon.co.uk via this link, or any other link on this page, Head for Points gets a small commission on what you buy and it helps keep us ticking over.  You pay the same regardless.

Our review of the Executive Lounge at Cornwall Airport Newquay
Review of the Amex Lounge at a Brighton & Hove Albion Premier League game!

Hilton

Comments

1. Graham WalshWalsh says:

OT Checked into the Hilton and they refused to believe my status was Diamond. Even showing my app status he said no I needed x nights to be diamond. Then showed my email confirming my status he had to check with his boss. Eventually agreed. After the delays of getting here I wasn’t best pleased. A quick tweet later I had a letter under my door the next morning to visit the manager. Many apologies later we were upgraded to a 2 room suite.

• Who did you tweet? The hotel or HH?

• Graham Walsh says:

Hilton and HH. Hilton actually took it very seriously and followed up top afterwards.

• Which Hilton?

• Brighton Belle says:

I took up the Hilton Diamond challenge. Needed 8 stays. In all 8 there is no business lounge. Hilton hasn’t convinced me that Diamond is worth much over Gold through Amex Platinum. What am I missing? No even a drinks voucher offered at check-in.

• Where did you stay? Doubletrees have always given me drinks vouchers. Hamptons you won’t get much….

• 4 x DT in past 6 weeks, minibar at two, drinks vouchers at the other two.

• Check out the 3x DoubleTrees in Wroclaw, Warsaw and Krakow for good lounges at an inexpensive rate. While in the area, the 2x Hiltons in Prague arguably have the best lounges in Europe. The problem with Hilton is: you need to pay your money if you’re going to get a good lounge in the UK. At the lower end of the scale, Hilton Newcastle and Wembley are often £60 ish and have good lounges. The Hilton and Conrad Istanbul Bosphorus are both a steal. Other good lounges in Hiltons typically less than £100 are: Dresden, Vienna Danube. I’ve stayed at nearly every Hilton in Europe with a lounge. They are generally much better than the UK. Diamond is worth it if your typical hotel budget is £100-£150 per night.

• Vienna Danube lounge is good, the lounge was open to everyone when I visited don’t know if that is common but they had a very good selection of hot and cold food.

• Just to add: if you use the Hilton app, or website, you can easily veto hotels that don’t have a lounge. It works 95% of the time. [As in, 5% of the time a hotel will have a lounge but is not listed].

• The Original Nick says:

Drinks vouchers were stopped 2 years ago nearly from what I remember.

• Interesting, third such report in the past month. Had this drama at DT Newcastle Airport. Somebody else (forget who) reported something similar at a DT in Spain too. Would be curious to know how widespread status didputes are, and if they are being used as a ploy at some hotels to deny breakfast.

• Would be a stretch to deny breakfast and get away with it as every gold would know this is the best perk

• Yes, I know but I never heard of hotels disputing status before and all of a sudden 3 such stories in a month. Just curious how widespread that is, I might start a FT thread to see if we can generate some datapoints.

• So you can turn 3 ‘stories’ into 6 ‘stories’ and achieve absolutely nada in the process?!?! You numpty.

2. I’ve got a £25 of £100 at Bloomingdales to use by the end of December…

Do they happen to sell Gift Cards for anywhere else or perhaps prepaid Amex or Visa Cards Visiting Orlando in November.

3. I just saw that for some April dates the Hilton in Sydney wants 153k points per night for a room that costs £250, thereby rendering the points at a measly 0.163p value! Has anybody seen a worse Hilton point redemption value than this?

• Peter K says:

It’s a premium room. They are always bad value.

• I’ve yet to see the Hilton Sydney offering non premium room rates, the Curio hotel looks better value at around 40k

4. The Original Nick says:

O:T, can anyone recommend an area or hotel to which a lads weekend away in Madrid would be best please? I have all the hotel benefits from my Amex Platinum to help too. IHG hotels seem to be to far out of the way.

• The Hyatt Centric where I stayed the other month is worth a look, see my review.

• There are plenty of Melia hotels in Madrid. Sometimes you can get any of the Gran Melia for 2.000 points + £120 (not all dates though).

• Shoestring says:

AREA – I can only offer the best area to stay, not the hotel.

Nothing beats https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerta_del_Sol so find somewhere you like close to there.

• Shoestring says:

I needed to study my 4 Spanish books for the A-level, I was working in France so thought I’d go to Madrid for Xmas/ New Year.

Never thought it would be so bloody cold! Up a mountain so not really surprising.

Spent my time in the National Library and the Prado – got an A in my A-level.

• ME on Plaza Santa Ana is great. Good rooftop bar and about a thousand bars and tapas places within 10 mins.

• I did 2 weeks post-grad study there some years ago but it was August and 40 degrees so I went to the Prado to stay cool as well as appreciate the art!

• Top tip for the Prado – they do a wee booklet of “50 greatest artworks” or something like that. Costs about €5. Takes you from Byzantine art to Goya in about 3 hours. Easily the best experience we have had in a world class museum.

Sure, you’re walking past a thousand or more treasures most other museums would kill to have in their collection but it makes the Prado collection accessible, interesting and informative. Otherwise I’d have found to totally daunting and confusing and got way less out the visit.

• NOT HILTON MADRID AIRPORT thats for sure, they are useless and the staff literally hung up the phone several times when phoning them about a refund.

5. I bought £30 amazon gift card to get additional £6 credit. Paid with my Amex – should this generate the £5 credit toffee which I accepted on Amex?

6. RussellH says:

Just checked my IHG a/c – only offered a 40% bonus!
    I would have to be really desparate to take them up on that.

7. Pretty sure you need to order a specific prepaid Mastercard for that to work?

• Saw others mention – but I’ve heard nothing from diners club since applying for the new M&M card on 3rd October. Has anyone else?

8. O/T, but has anyone managed to get bonus membership reward points for upgrading Personal Gold to Business Platinum ? I know there is an upgrade offer of 20,000 MR for upgrading Gold to Platinum but cannot see anything for Biz Plat. Thanks

9. If i take out a Black curve card are atm transactions abroad coming through without charges up to the £400 limit.

I have an IHG creation credit card I just want to know that Creation will not treat the transactions any different to as if i was spending in the uk with no charges.

10. Yes, according to previous comments on here. No, if the giftcard is bought online.

11. I just did this myself (got fed up waiting for a transfer bonus to Avios).
    You first transfer the payout to your reward wallet, then to a prepaid mastercard. You get a virtual card number with expiry date and CVV etc to use anywhere online. I got the 8% bonus and used it to pay my council tax. I tried to use it to pay off a credit card first, but it was declined.

12. OT on Hilton.

I understand that when booking multiple rooms, elite stay and night credit is only given for one room.

However, I was wondering if anybody has experienced something similar to the following scenario, and if so how did it pan out?

I have booked a room for two nights. A friend going to the same event has just asked me to book him in to the same hotel, but he only wants to stay for one of the two nights. (In case relevant, the last of the two.)

Any chance of me getting the elite credit for his room, what with it a) being booked separately on a different date, and b) being one night instead of two…?

• No, as bills must be merged and paid in one go for this to work.

• Thanks Rob.

• TGLoyalty says:

I mean there’s always a chance someone messes up and you end up with the extra stay/night but higher chance you won’t get the points and will need to chase even if the folio is correctly merged

13. TGLoyalty says:

Better off converting to Zeek vouchers with 15% bonus then buying a discounted gift card for your fav retailer. I shop in M&S for food on a regular basis so real saving there even vs my 7% off GC’s through work scheme.

14. My SPG points from last few months of spend on my amex have (surprisingly) turned up today….. finally 🙂

• Ditto – just cancelled the card yesterday too! Managed to get Amex to backdate the cancellation by a month (small amount of cash but every little helps!)

• Lol, would never even have thought of asking them to backdate a cancellation, it seems that the audacity of HFP contributors knows no bounds 🙂

• All investment bankers apparently? Mmmm

• Haha I was just annoyed that I’d be sitting waiting for the points to arrive before being able to cancel, didn’t use the card during that time and thought nothing ventured nothing gained!

@Yomy – nope!

• Good going haha

15. Don’t know what this has to do with the M&M bundle at all as it likely has no similarities apart from being a prepaid card.

The 8% bonus is great and I can’t understand why they are offering it as its super value, you can even get a physical card for £5 so you can then use it in store.