How to get a hotel status match to Wyndham Rewards

You can now get a status match to Wyndham Rewards – although it is not hugely useful to UK residents.

(UPDATE: some people find that Hilton will not match their Wyndham Rewards status, so the method outlined here for boosting your Hilton Honors status might not work.  Do not Wyndham rooms purely because you want to try for Hilton Diamond.)

Wyndham – even though you may never have heard of it – is actually the largest hotel group in the world with over 8,000 properties.  The majority of these are low-cost hotels in the USA, primarily outside major cities, and you are unlikely to stay in one unless you are doing a US road trip.

In the UK, Wyndham Rewards is the loyalty scheme for hotel chains Ramada and Days Inn.  It also covers chains which you don’t find in the UK – Wyndham, Tryp, Wingate, Hawthorn, Microtel, Baymont, Super 8, Howard Johnson and the US (not UK) Travelodge.

There are around 30 Wyndham Rewards hotels in the UK.  The Days Inn hotels are generally found on motorway service stations which is why you may have missed them, although there are a couple in London.  The Ramada properties are better spread.

A number of the better hotels have been reflagged in the last couple of years.  The Ramada at Excel in London is now a DoubleTree.  The Ramada at the Mailbox in Birmingham is now under AC Hotels, a Marriott brand.  The Days Inn at Waterloo, pictured above, is about as exciting as it gets.

If your travels do take you to Wyndham properties, you can now get a 90-day status match from any existing hotel status you have.

This is a pretty decent status match as these things go:

You can match to ALL levels of the programme, including the top Diamond tier

They are being generous in what match they give

For example, in order to get top tier Diamond status, you only need:

Gold Elite in Marriott Rewards (free with Amex Platinum)

Gold in Hilton Honors (free with Amex Platinum)

Platinum Elite in IHG Rewards Club (free with IHG Rewards Club Premium Mastercard)

Gold in Radisson Rewards (free with Amex Platinum)

You see a full list by clicking the link in the terms and conditions on the status match page here.  It doesn’t work if I link to the chart directly.

This means that the majority of Head for Points readers should be able to get Diamond status by one route or another.

It may even be worth getting the match purely to do another match elsewhere.  For example, you could match your Hilton Gold status to Wyndham Diamond and then match your Wyndham Diamond to Hilton Diamond via Hilton’s status match!  Hilton requires one recent stay with the competing chain so you’d need to do a quick Days Inn or Ramada night as well.

Of course, if you’re unlikely to be staying in a Wyndham Rewards property in the next 90 days then it probably isn’t worth the effort unless you have a secondary match lined up.

There is one perk though …. Platinum and Diamond members of Wyndham Rewards get an automatic status match to Caesars Entertainment Total Rewards.  If you are heading to Las Vegas soon then this is worth a look.  You can see the Total Rewards benefits here ….. they include NO RESORT FEES on your bill, use of priority check-in lines and a $100 dinner credit for Diamonds.

You can sign up for the Wyndham Rewards status match here.

American Express launches a generous spend bonus for Gold and Platinum cardholders
LAST CALL: Get up to 100,000 Avios when you open an ISA or SIPP via Nutmeg

EXCLUSIVE HFP READER OFFER FOR SME's!
Get points worth 15,000 Avios as a sign-up bonus!
OFFER ENDS 13th JULY
15,000 Avios with Capital on Tap Mastercard

Comments

1. No sign of the Amex MR offer on my plat. Is it possibly just targeted to those with more than one Amex card?

2. OT but MR. In January obviously the Platinum referral bonus re-sets and I’m considering, given the dire $ exchange rate, transferring those MR points to HH points to use for future US hotel bookings. Does anyone find they get better value doing this than always exchanging for avios? I’ll have enough avios to see us through until the next round of referrals (thanks to HFP I have CE, CW and F trips booked for 2019 and still have 270,000 avios “in the bank”.)

• Genghis says:

I’ve said it before but you only benefit from the points when you’re spending them, i.e. saving them up for a rainy day and being subject to devaluation risk isn’t a good idea.

Consequently, if you believe you have sufficient points in one currency such that that you won’t use them up within a reasonable length of time, you should convert to something else that you will find useful.

I did that with avios and then was sending to SPG but I now have too many Marriotts. It seems recently I’m struggling to use up all of the points I’m actually earning (first world problems…).

• Thanks Ghengis, you’ve convinced me! Got 3 nights in NYC next year and will be able to manage the whole thing on points and still stay somewhere nice if I convert some MRs. Should save me around £1200. First world problem indeed – this terrible exchange rate impacting my travel plans!

• Lady London says:

I’m trying to feel sorry for your problem, @Genghis, but it’s just not working.
        🙂

3. OT: My family are doing Christmas markets this year by Eurostar. I have Amex Platinum and have given my Dad a supplementary. Any way of getting access to the lounges for my mother and sister? I think they don’t allow guests into lounges?

• Genghis says:

No guests. Refer you mother / sister for Plat (and that person gets a supp for the other)?
      Or mother and sister travel BP?

• Not paying £450 for Platinum to get lounge access!

• You’re not. You’re paying £38 per month for lounge access (plus all other Platinum benefits) and you can cancel at any point.

• Decide whether the fee is justifiable.

If you refer 5 people a year you get 90k MR (min £450)

• Genghis says:

And assuming that person spends say £1000 a month, they’d spend £2,000 in two months (£75 fee), you’d get 18k MR points (=£180), they’d get 35k MR points (=£350) all being a good return for the points alone, and that’s before you get to the hotel status upgrades / Eurostar lounge access for the “life of the card”, Priority Pass whilst the account is alive etc.

• Is the supplementary fee (£170) for additional cards pro rata refundable?

• Genghis says:

@Sam Yes

• No, no guests allowed, unless you have little kids where they may (or may not) be allowed on a discretionary basis, on the grounds they are too young for a Platinum card.

• Can I have additional cardholders Friends and Family out of my household? Not that I remember. Any experience?

• You can, but you only get 1 free supplementary Plat, the rest cost £170. Although £170 is a good deal if they value all the hotel status cards etc.

4. Prins Polo says:

Spend GBP 6,000, get 10,000 MR points on my plat.

• Black T says:

I got spend GBP 2,200 get 4000 MR points on my plat. I can’t imagine what I would spend 2k on in a month on this card

• Buy all your supermarket and petrol gift cards in advance and prempay as many utilities as you can for couple of months… fully refundable ba ticket, lots of ways.. it’s a lot tho, if it’s not your usual spend pattern.

5. OT – Could anyone advise on the best routing to AKL from London making best use of a BA 2 for 1 voucher. From what I can see, the best option would be LHR to SYD using the 2 for 1 in CW followed by separate onward flights to AKL. However, this is 3 flights. There are direct flights to AKL from SIN giving a 2 flight option, but that would mean only using 2 for 1 as far as SIN.

Appreciate any insights!

• Genghis says:

Adding everything up, prob better off paying cash in a sale. Via TYO with NH using VFC?

• London to HK / Tokyo / any other Asian gateway served by Air New Zealand, and then use Virgin miles to redeem for ANZ to Auckland.

• You need to fly somewhere with a decent amount of 241 availability. Getting a 241 to Sydney is difficult (I did get one, but I planned my travel dates to suit what came available).

There is often decent 241 availability to Hong Kong, Tokyo and Kuala Lumpur and cities in China (but check visa rules). From Asia you then want to research the onward flight options which could be with legacy airline (CX, MH and JAL are all oneworld, and there will Qantas options), or a low cost airline such as Air Asia X.

• Scallder says:

Also got LA if you can find some availability on the AKL-LAX route on Air New Zealand. If you really wanted to extend the 2 for 1 as far as possible you could to go Santiago and then onto AKL on LATAM, but wouldn’t really want to do that myself (we went earlier in the year with our 9 month old and stopped in Singapore – would very much suggest there or KUL to minimise the overall flying time and break it up into 2 sensible amounts).

• Scallder says:

There’s also flights from San Francisco and Houston according to the AKL arrivals page

• Genghis says:

If you GC map it, the most direct route goes just eat of Japan, so would going via Tokyo not actually be the way to minimise overall flying time?

• Many thanks all for your comments. Tokyo or HK sound like an excellent options for a stopover. Haven’t got any VFC miles as yet, but they should be pretty easy to come by given the current promotions…

6. Denis Micallef says:

I checked my Preferred Gold statement but there is no Bonus Points Offer!!

7. Nothing on my Amex Plat either for any of those MR offers.

8. Nothing on my MR offers. Cancelling when I get my annual bonus.

9. OT – but on status matches
    About 4-5 months ago IHG offered a status match with ANA
    I applied back then – no reply from them at all, forums didn’t provide any clue
    Emailed IHG a couple of weeks ago, they said the status match programme has been closed but didn’t answer my original question aboyut ANA status match.
    Should I email ANA as well? Has anyone heard anything?

10. OT: I upgraded my BA app and now can’t see option to search for reward flights. Any idea how I can get this back as I loved it?

11. Chris L says:

OT has anyone else seen BA Redemption Finder’s new ‘I Don’t know where I want to go’ feature? You can now just put in the dates you want to travel, numbers and class and it will show you available destinations. Very useful! Apologies if it’s already been mentioned.