Bits: Flybe launches London City to Newcastle, do a tandem skydive with Hilton, IHG removes promo points cap

News in brief:

Flybe launches London City to Newcastle

Flybe, via its franchise partner Eastern Airways, has announced a new route from Newcastle to London City Airport.

Starting on 7th January, flights will leave Newcastle at 08.05 and 17.50, with return services from London City at 09.45 and 19.30.  There is no service on a Saturday and a single evening service on a Sunday.

You can earn Avios on these services at the standard Flybe rates.  I am not sure if, due to the franchise nature of this route, it will be available as a redemption – nothing is showing at the moment.

Flights can be booked at flybe.com.

Eastern Airways launches Newcastle to London City

Do a tandem skydive with Hilton!

If you have been thinking that the current options of spending your miles and points are a bit, well, dull, Hilton Honors has the answer.

Via their Hilton Auctions platform, you can bid to do a tandem skydive:

Get ready for the ultimate adrenaline rush as you jump from 15,000 feet – the highest you can skydive from in the UK. After 20 minutes instruction, you are ready for the rush of freefall and a 5 minute canopy ride. Tandem skydiving allows you to experience the thrill of freefall skydiving without any extensive training as you will be accompanied by an experienced instructor who will also be your own personal cameraman to film and photograph your experience.

This package for two (2) includes:
– Tandem Skydive Experience, including 20 minute instruction
– Video and pictures of your skydive experience
– Dinner at The Grill Restaurant
– One night stay at DoubleTree by Hilton Forest Pines Spa & Golf Resort (Yorkshire) including breakfast

There are no bids so far!  The minimum acceptable bid is just 45,000 Hilton Honors points.  Place your bid here.  The hotel website is here.

How to earn Hilton Honors points via UK credit cards

As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Hilton Honors points from UK credit cards.  Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses!

Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Hilton Honors points.  That page is regularly updated with the latest special offers and will still be accurate even if you are reading this article months after publication.

Hilton Honors Skydive

IHG Rewards Club removes the cap on its current double points promotion

IHG Rewards Club is, until 31st December, running a promotion offering double base points on every stay, starting with your second stay.

Our article on the IHG double points offer is here (ignore the closing date which has now been extended to 31st December) and you can register here.

The offer was capped at 15,000 bonus points over the course of the offer.  However, the IHG home page now says:

Double Points now UNLIMITED!

Now earn unlimited double points for stays at IHG hotels until 31/12

The registration page still mentions the 15,000 points cap, but it seems safe to say that this will be corrected ASAP and that heavy stayers can continue to book IHG hotels knowing that they will receive a bonus.

British Airways has released more than 50,000 extra Avios seats in Club World!
Bits: Hilton Asia flash sale, free Ritz-Carlton Doha stay with Qatar Airways, £100 off £500 United spend with Amex

Comments

1. FlyingBlue released some great reward discounts today, highlight being 35k to YYZ in J from anywhere in Europe. https://specialoffers.flyingblue.com/

• What are the taxes like for short haul? We’re moving to NL next year and might convert Amex points to Flying Blue if we can get rewards flights to Scotland. We’ve still got tons of Avios for cheap London trips.

• Shoestring says:

Still works out quite expensive points + fees in SH IMV

• Not entirely sure on short haul, I’ve only ever looked at long haul with Flying Blue. CWL to YYZ in J which had availability for pretty much every day was 35k €394.45 one way or 70k €622.54. Taxes was around €1 cheaper from LHR. So around £542 in taxes, still pretty expensive tax wise but good value on miles.

2. Adam Brown says:

I assumed the two headlines were linked and the Tandem skydive was in case Flybe went out of business halfway through the flight!

3. Adam Brown says:

I can’t say I am happy with the move over to Exec Club from Avios Travel Rewards Programme?

The points statement is virtually useless, My last 6 transactions are:
    Finance Card
    Miscellaneous
    Avios x2
    Other
    and 3rd Party

Not exactly helping me to understand what is going on. It would have been nice if they had at least kept the customer offering the same if not better!

• I’ve never seen most of those! Finance card refers to your BA Amex. There should be a record of when you made the transaction, as well as when the avios posted so that you can match it up with your own records.

• If you click on “view all transactions” just under the list it gives you more details of each transaction

• Shoestring says:

Yep – @Adam you need to drill down to get the detail – you are just seeing a summary

• Are you looking just at the last six transactions or the view when you click on “View all transactions”? That gives you far more detail.

• Adam Brown says:

Awesome – Thanks.

Previously I only used Exec Club for Flights so never really looked in any detail. Have seen the full list now.

4. May be cutting that one a bit close even if they did take telephone bookings. The offer is nearly over. Although seeing as it’s amex’s own offer perhaps they would extend it if you asked? Dunno.

5. BlueHorizonuk says:

BA just dumped 50,000 extra Club World seats into availability – book by December 2

Additional reward seats will be available on direct one-way and return British Airways operated flights in the Club World cabin only, for travel between 16 December 2018 and 31 March 2019

between London Gatwick and Fort Lauderdale, Tampa, Orlando Las Vegas, San Jose (Costa Rica), New York JFK and Mauritius and between London Heathrow and Abuja, Accra, Amman, Atlanta, Austin, Bahrain, Baltimore, Bangalore, Beijing, Beirut, Boston, Buenos Aires, Cairo, Calgary, Cape Town, Chicago, Dallas, Denver, Dubai, Durban, Houston, Jeddah, Johannesburg, Kuala Lumpur, Kuwait, Lagos, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Mexico City, Miami, Montreal, Moscow, Nairobi, Nashville, New Orleans, New York JFK, New York EWR, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Rio de Janeiro, Riyadh, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose, CA, Santiago, Sao Paulo, Seattle, Seoul, Seychelles, Shanghai, Singapore, Tel Aviv, Tokyo NRT, Toronto, Vancouver and Washington.

6. OT: Morrisons Christmas vouchers – 11,250 More points for £150 spend in each of the next 4 weeks.

Terms say excludes purchase of gift cards. Has there been any evidence to the contrary, e.g. in previous years?

• Gift Cards definitely won’t work – they can see what you are buying (unlike the CC companies), so it is easy for them to exclude them.

• Ok, thanks. Will likely bin these then, have much better inducements from their competition!

7. OT – Qatar last minute sale until midnight today

8. I asked Amex this when I had the offer, and phone bookings won’t trigger. The offer is for online bookings. Unless the terms have changed this time around?

• Nope…T&C still say online…but I was wondering if there was a loop hole and telephone bookings would still trigger it

9. Thomas Howard says:

Curve community has a posting saying beta testing of Amex acceptance will begin on 20 November and has a BA card in the example.

• Is the community/testing open to those who are lucky to be invited or public?

• Thomas Howard says:

It says there will be a link in the Curve community on 20/11. I got my invite to the community today, hadn’t heard of it before.

• Graham Walsh says:

Same here. Invited today and signed up to stuff. Their roadmap is public i think via the trello link.

10. Shoestring says:

O/T stressing about MCOL (Money Collection Online) when BA fails to give EC261 compo.

I’m not surprised people stress about this. I’ve never had to do it but yesterday I got the welcome news that Amazon Guarantee had forced a seller to refund me £20 for something not delivered, after pursuing the case for over 2 months. Basically I ordered 2 but the seller only sent me 1. They’d paid postage for the weight of 2 items (so they said) but only 1 got packed & sent to me. My case got rejected twice before I won it on my second appeal.

Anyway, I was on the point of going down the MCOL route – but it was a bit stressful thinking of all the hassle etc & all for £20. I got to the MCOL registration stage and that was bad enough. You start thinking: is it even worth it? & you can’t bill for your time.

Anyway, I quite understand if people get stressed up at having to issue a MCOL claim against BA to get their rightful compo. If you fall into that camp, remember Bott & Co will take on your case if it has legs and do everything for you, I think their cut of the compo is about 30%.

• Sometimes I don’t care about the money, it’s the principle. Depends how hard done to I feel.

11. Shoestring says:

Raffles – HfP promoted the IB 90K deal. I think you need to remind people about the 1st December deadline, it’s only a couple of weeks away.

• Already done for tomorrow 🙂

• Seriously, you think people need a reminder? Didn’t even do it and I’ve had a reminder on HFP at least twice a day since the promotion launched 🙂

• Shoestring says:

Maybe in comments. 1% of HfP users who comment?

Now BJ don’t let your failure to jump on board & benefit from 180K @ 0.2p Avios prejudice you in any way 🙂

• Shoestring says:

1-These Avios cannot be transferred or combined with Avios from other programmes or accounts, and they will expire on December 1st 2018 if not used by that date. All Avios from this promotion not redeemed by then will be withdrawn from the customer’s account on December 1st 2018.

• Ok ok. At the time I was happy with my decision, spent £200 on IHG promos instead and tripled it with 3 nights IC redemption. At the time it was a better option than doubling it on hotels with IB+ which was most peoples game plan. Of course I could have done both but didn’t. If you are looking for an admission of regret or failure, yes I admit it now, a little bit, given the way it worked out so there you have it 🙂 However, cash required in addition to avios for my zone 7 redemptions is now such that I need to rethink my whole strategy, even with a 241 exINV in CW I am no longer managing 1ppa value.

• I regret ‘not’ doing the IB offer, as much as I regret ‘doing’ the Tesco Christmas saver – haha

(If either of you have any pointers, I’d be ever so grateful if you could drop me an email – it’s my handle on here “@outlook.com”) 🙂