Marriott"

Black Friday 1: £100 off Virgin Flight+Hotel, Gatwick Parking, Opodo, 20% off hotels.com, Priority Pass and more!

We wrote this article before the deals were live and have relied on the companies involved not to change their promo codes or links – apologies if anything changed at the last minute.

If you’re shopping on Amazon ….

Before we get into the travel deals, a quick reminder that – if you’re buying anything on Amazon today – we earn a small commission if you start your purchase by clicking here.  It helps keep us ticking over and, as we’ll be paying 40% tax on the money, it puts more back into system than if you don’t use our link!

Amazon Black Friday

Virgin Atlantic ‘flight and hotel’ Black Friday deals

We have looked at Virgin Atlantic‘s ‘flight only’ deals in a separate article today.

However, if you’re booking a ‘flight and hotel’ package, there are extra savings to be made.  This offer also works on US breaks, whilst the ‘flight only’ sale is only for non-US routes.

The deal:  £100 off a ‘flight and hotel’ package in Economy, £150 off a ‘flight and hotel’ package in Premium or Upper Class

Rules:  Total booking must be £1200, book by Monday 26th November, travel by 31st March 2019

Code required:  BF2018 which must be used on the Virgin Atlantic ‘flight and hotel’ site here

Virgin Holidays is also offering the same Black Friday savings (£100 with Economy flights, £150 otherwise) on packages booked by Monday for travel by 31st October 2019.  Minimum spend is £2000 per booking.  The code here is 2018BF and you need to book on the Virgin Holidays site here.

Virgin Holidays Black Friday deal

Official Gatwick Parking – save 20%!

If you are travelling through Gatwick soon, you can save:

The deal:  20% off your booking

Rules:  Park by 22nd December, book by 26th November

Code required:  No code but you MUST use this special link – click here – and the discount will automatically show

Opodo ‘flight and hotel’ £70 Black Friday deal

Opodo is offering a discount on ‘flight and hotel’ packages.

The deal:  £70 off a ‘flight and hotel’ package

Rules:  Total booking must be £900, book by Monday 26th November

Code required:  BLACKFLYDAY which must be used on the Opodo ‘flight and hotel’ site here

Opodo Black Friday

hotels.com 20% Mastercard saving

hotels.com is running a strong offer for Mastercard holders, but be wary of the small print.

You will save 20% on hotel bookings you make TODAY ONLY when you pay with a Mastercard (11% for other cards).  Code BLACKFRIDAY20ES is required.  You must stay by 31st March.

However:

virtually all chain hotels are excluded

you do NOT earn hotels.com Rewards credit

We rate hotels.com Rewards highly as this article explains.  It doesn’t pay out until you’ve stayed 10 nights, however, so if you never normally use hotels.com then you might be happy with the 20% saving anyway.

Full details of the deal, and booking, are on this page of hotels.com.

Up to 40% off Priority Pass

A reminder of the Priority Pass lounge access card deal we mentioned earlier in the week.

As you can see here, there are some sharp discounts:

40% off Standard membership (reduced to £41 from £69) – no free visits, you and your guests pay £20 each time

25% off Standard Plus membership (reduced to £141 from £189) – 10 free visits then £20 for every additional visit or for every guest visit

25% off Prestige membership (reduced to £254 from £339) – all your visits are free, your guests pay £20 each time

The best deal, to my mind, is Standard Plus.  You are paying £14.10 per lounge visit which is pretty decent.  You can find out more, and purchase, on this special page of the Priority Pass website.  The offer runs to 25th November.

and more …..

Here are some other Black Friday deals we couldn’t cover in full due to space:

Europcar – up to 35% off (and earn Nectar points), book by 26th November, pick up by 31st March – click here

Norwegian –  up to 30% off net fares, excluding taxes and charges, on all routes from Dublin and Shannon, book by 26th November, travel between 3rd December 2018 and 31st March 2019 (excluding 17th December 2018 to 6th January 2019) – click here

Singapore Airlines –  Economy and Premium Economy deals from London and Manchester to Asia and Houston (from Manchester), travel between 16th January – 11th July (SE Asia/Aus), 16th January – 10th April & 22nd April to 11th July (NZ), 28th November 2018 – 30th June 2019 (USA) – click here

Accor Hotels (Ibis, Novotel, Mercure etc)up to 40% off your stay, book by 26th November, stay between 1st January and 24th February – click here

BACK FOR CYBER MONDAY: Bizarre but good deal - buy 55,000 MeliaRewards points on Amazon Spain for €165!
Virgin Atlantic Black Friday / Cyber Weekend sale - flight deals from £1,089 return in Upper Class!

IHG
IHG

Comments

1. Andrew (@andrewseftel) says:

NB though that the Virgin Holidays black Friday discount means you can’t apply the Flying Club discount, making the net saving significantly smaller.

2. Brighton Belle says:

OT Amex on Curve. Their blogpost on how I will work

• I downloaded the beta app via the link and the app opens and works fine… but I can’t figure out how to top up!? I tried to add my Amex (uk plat) and it won’t let me still….. any ideas?

• KBuffett says:

I’m also a member of the beta test group.
        Not sure I can be bothered, it seems like a hassle.
        The company is a bit strange. They issue black cards that are not Curve Black cards. Seriously

• Very strange company indeed, customer service quality has been reduced e.g. 3days without an answer, had to chase for an answer, the online chat seems to illustrate they take on hipster grads (interns maybe?) who dont seem to know the meaning of a SLA

Promosing a return to amex to customers, but only a selected few who decided to pay £50 for the privilage only recentl (thats the truth, its a paid and closed beta)

Promised to release a blog on a selected day but failed

Charged customers with no notice on ATMs

List could go on?

• Oh, also NatWest reward card treats Curve ATM txn as a cash withdrawal- immediate fee and cash interest.

• Working OK for me, although a few small bugs – worth logging bug via app or in the Curve Community thread for iOS or Android depending on your OS.

• Louise Allen says:

Nothing happened when I clicked the link in the email. No app download etc. Is it browser specific? I use Firefox on my Pixel. Have emailed for support… not holding my breath.

• Looks like a complicated system, and requires top ups with fees on anything over £1000 and no cash withdrawals etc.

• I’ve not been invited to the beta trial, but I’m thinking it might be useful for occasional payments where you wouldn’t normally be able to pay with Amex but want to hit a spending target, e.g. pay a £2k deposit on a car to get an Amex gold sign up bonus. You’d effectively be paying £13 for 24000 MR points (if my maths is correct!) which I think is worth it.

• Who’s have predicted a painted brick wall as the background to their photo and presumably the walls in their hipster offices!

3. Shoestring says:

There’s a new Black Friday £25 off £40 code working on Amazon – it’s AMEX25OFFSWP.

You need to use some MR points from your linked Amex card to part-pay for Amazon product(s) [only].

Some of us were successfully using it last night. The same Amex card can be used on multiple Amazon family accounts, once only per account.

• Thanks Shoestring, 3 smart plugs for £23!

• The Original Nick says:

Harry, do you know if it works with products that are fulfilled by Amazon?

• Shoestring says:

It *only* works with products fulfilled my Amazon

• Shoestring says:

Won’t work on ‘fulfilled by Amazon’ products, only on products sold direct by Amazon.

• I think you mean ‘sold by’? Lots of 3rd party stuff fulfilled by them,but that’s not eligible.

• The Original Nick says:

Just tried it,seems not.

• Not for me too.
          already used on one account yesterday, tried again today on another account and it didn’t

• Shoestring says:

Well Amazon or Amex screwed up yesterday morning and it was working even without using an Amex card! (I didn’t see it until pointed out to comments readers last night by Blue Horizon I think.) Then Amazon stopped the glitch in the afternoon and the code stopped working. Then it came back again working properly with Amex MR points to part pay – & I successfully used it 5x (Amazon supplied products only). I may be guilty of misinterpreting The Original Nick’s question – it won’t work on ‘fulfilled by Amazon’ products but only on products sold direct by Amazon.

• Seems to have expired.

I got one order off this morning, but 15 minutes later with two different accounts – ‘This promotional code has expired’

• Yep. Same here – this promotional code has expired.

Might be worth trying later in the day I suppose?

• Actually, not expired!

I just tried to check my basket out again, and got a different error message ‘this promotional code cannot be applied to your order’ or something like that.

Went out and changed the items in my basket and it worked this time.

• Shoestring says:

Was always quite limited in number. I got knocked back on a couple of our family a/cs @Amazon, I cleared cookies/ ran CCleaner and tried again & it worked fine.

Black Friday Special offer: Shop with Points and get £25 off your eligible purchase at Amazon.co.uk
        Use your Membership Rewards eligible American Express Card to Shop with Points at Amazon.co.uk and get £25 off an order of £40 or more with promo code AMEX25OFFSWP by 30/11/2018. Offer only applies to eligible items sold by Amazon.co.uk

To receive your promotional discount, you must:
        1. Add £40 or more of eligible items sold and shipped by Amazon.co.uk to your shopping cart.
        2. Enter the promo code AMEX25OFFSWP in the box provided on the checkout page and pay for at least a portion of your order with Membership Rewards points.
        3. £25 of savings will be reflected on the final order checkout page.

Terms and conditions
        1. This is a limited time offer. The promotion will end at 23:59 GMT on 30/11/2018 or when 8,400 customers have claimed the promotion code, whichever is earlier. The promotion code will expire concurrently.
        2. To redeem the offer, you must be logged into an Amazon.co.uk account which has been active before 28 October 2018.
        3. Offer applies only to the purchase of at least £40 of eligible items at Amazon.co.uk, where Membership Rewards points are used for at least a portion of the purchase and the promotion code is entered at checkout. Taxes, gift-wrap and shipping and handling charges do not apply when determining minimum purchase amount.
        4. The maximum benefit you may receive from this offer is £25 per eligible Amazon account.
        5. Offer does not apply to the purchase of digital content.
        6. Offer only applies to eligible items sold by Amazon.co.uk.
        7. Items must be purchased in a single order and shipped at the same speed to a single address.
        8. Shipping charges may apply to discounted promotional items.
        9. Limit one promotion code per Membership Rewards eligible Card.
        10. Offer may not be combined with other offers.
        11. Offer is available by invitation only, is non-transferable, is not redeemable for cash, and may not be resold.
        12. Amazon.co.uk reserves the right to modify this offer at any time.
        13. Offer discount will be allocated proportionally among all promotional items in your order.
        14. If you violate any of these terms, the offer will be invalid. If any of the items related to this offer are returned, your refund will equal the amount you paid for the item, subject to applicable refund policies.
        15. Promotional codes (including those placed directly in accounts) may not be redeemed for Amazon Gift Cards.
        16. This promotion is available only to Amazon.co.uk customers with an eligible American Express Card issued in the United Kingdom.

• I went on chat and they said they couldn’t apply the discount but are going to credit me with £25 gift card as soon as my order dispatches, which is the next best thing I guess.

• Shoestring says:

Cheers Rich – you encouraged me to try again and it worked fine on our 6th family account. 240 pouches of Felix cat food for £22. Wouldn’t work on another Amazon Felix cat food box x2 so I switched for a slightly more expensive one 🙂

So it definitely matters what you’re ordering, if at first you don’t succeed…!

4. Small world money transfers are waiving the transfer fee with code BF2018

5. Thywillbedone says:

O/T:
    I am staying in the Park Hyatt Mallorca next August on a points and cash deal. My understanding is that breakfast is not included with these rates (although it was historically). I am a World of Hyatt member (the base tier). Any clever ideas on how I might get the free breakfast? Do any credit cards offer this benefit for example? Any way of parlaying status elsewhere into status with Hyatt?

Thanks in advance!

6. Shoestring says:

The Amazing New Zealand £175 return to LA offer starts in 5 mins if you’re feeling lucky

7. Will a hotels.com booking with the black friday code count as ‘valid activity’ (even though im not planning to earn a stamp from them) as I already have a free night unsued – it will expire in Feb 2019 if not used

8. 20% of Hotels.com is worse than the 50% off I have been offered 5 times in last two months (Including a few hours ago) I guess this must be a members only promotion?

9. This looks like a great Black Friday deal on Amazon.es:

55,000 Meliarewards points for EUR 165,00

Same product is on Amazon UK – but not reduced.

Looks like a great deal based on the value of Meliarewards for redemptions.

10. Little Bits

My employer’s staff reward site has a fair few additional Black Friday Offers:-

20% in points on Hilton Hotels (Fully stackable with Visa & Amex offers)
    10% in points on Expedia Hotels
    10% in points on Hotels.com
    12% in points on Virgin Atlantic
    15% in points on Marriott
    20% in points on “Corporate Pricing” (HRG negotiated rates).

As always, check your staff benefits site to see if you have similar.

11. OT:
    Looks like the recent Marriott daily quiz has started to credit points but only on a day by day basis.

12. OT – Lloyds Avios Upgrade voucher. Previously when using this with a connection, I managed to bag the connecting flight in business but when trying today the CSR was adamant it can only be used on either one not both. Anyone any experience of this?

• Fivebobbill says:

I just used one for me and the missus 2 weeks ago, 2 one-ways Belfast – LHR – Rome.
      All legs in Biz

• Thanks fivebobbill. Did you get charged for economy avios on BHD-LHR or CE avios?

• Fivebobbill says:

Sorry for the delay Walty, still travelling.
          Just checked the confirmation and i paid 10,500 avios + £50pp, so a total of 21,000 avios + £100… however that works out…

It does say 41,000 avios at top of confirmation, but then reduced and charged at 21,000 due to voucher.

Remember, this is just one-way

I might also add, we’re flying home from Abu Dhabi, so Abu Dhabi – LHR – Belfast, and once again in business right through using a second upgrade voucher.
          The total costs for this one are 52,000 avios (reduced from 100,000), plus £446.40.
          So 26,000 + £223.20pp.

Living in Northern Ireland I have to connect via LHR all the time, and have used the Lloyds vouchers on at least 8 occasions. If someone at avios CS is telling you you can’t use a voucher to get business all the way through, just hang up and call back for someone new.

• CS were similarly adamant that the same applied to my NCL-LHR-GVA. Upgrade international legs only. I wouldn’t have minded that so much, but they were also adamant that the higher baggage allowance wouldn’t apply to the domestic legs.

• So did you get CE or Economy? Did you get the bag issue resolved?

I’ve got the baggage allowance as Lounge as I am connecting to a same day CE flight but it would be nice to have CE on the domestic connection.

• I didn’t book it in the end, as I needed certainty that we would get two bags each on all flights.

• Fivebobbill says:

For clarity, we have 2 x bags pp allowance all the way, plus access to lounges in all airports.

• Their CS agents seem to have gone completely off the rails recently! It’s always been the case that you travel in CE on your connecting flight if you’re in CW in the long haul, ever since BA started doing CE on domestic flights.

• That could be because the domestic connection is FOC when travelling on a connecting CW flight. My query is domestic connection on a CE flight where you still pay the avios & RFS fee (ahhh bring back the gold old days)

• That’s what I meant. I’ve used 4 Lloyds vouchers to upgrade from PE to CW, and each time my connecting flights have been in CE and not required any avios.

Sadly, connecting flights are not free any more, you can add around £150 onto the price of a long-haul flight from London when you connect from MAN in my recent experience.

• Sorry, ignore the last, I’ve just what you mean now! I haven’t used a Lloyds voucher for an CE upgrade, however, when using a 2 4 1, the companion seat in avios-free all the way through, even though you have to pay 2 lots of avios and fees for the main traveller.

• Agree, sorry thought this was a CW connecting flight. There’s no free connecting flight for RFS anymore so I can see how the voucher wouldn’t apply.

• the_real_a says:

It should book into Domestic (business) and you will pay the Tax/fees (£50 is) but the avios is “free”. It seems like they are trying to book it as a separate flight under a single PNR, rather than a free connection onto a CW flight.

• Domestic connecting flights should definitely book into CE when using one of these vouchers.

• Our upcoming trip to Tallin and Helsinki was booked with 2 Lloyd’s vouchers – only the LHR – Tallinn and HEL – LHR is in CE – Avios refused to book us in to CE for the domestic legs from EDI. I argued at the time of booking that it should be CE but she wouldn’t budge.

• Although I noticed today when checking MMB that the out leg is going to earn Avios and tier points even though it is a reward flight – return is showing as zero! Every little helps!

• Sadly MMB isn’t always correct. Recent 241 flight to US was showing as lots of TP and Avios, but in the end zero posted…

• Lady London says:

pretty sure domestic leg only ever free now if you’re coming/going on a long haul to connect with?

13. Louise Allen says:

Disapppointed with the Accor offer – in typical fashion, it’s not available where I’m going! I’m off to Oz next year and they’re not discounting any hotels there. So much for the Sofitel when I’m in Melbourne, I think I’ll go to the Sheraton for half the price.

• A Sheffield room I need is £40 cheaper (x 2 rooms) than when I priced it last week so I’m happy with this one for once.

• Carcassonne is apparently included in the offer, yet somehow the hotels look more expensive than when I looked for the same dates last week…

14. OT – Virgin upgrade vouchers having 2 Virgin Atlantic cards
    Hi Rob, any update/news on whether you are able to get 2 different upgrade vouchers when you have the 2 Virgin Atlantic cards simultaneously?

The call centre told me you could only get one voucher a year, even if you hold both cards? It has stopped me buying the Premium card…

Thanks Matt

• Don’t know. Virgin is currently without a credit card head as the old person didn’t want to leave Crawley to transition to VGLC in Central London so there is no obvious person to speak with.

• Andrew (@andrewseftel) says:

Is that an open role? Know someone who might fancy that.

• Not seen it advertised, but I’m sure any CVs sent to Andrew Swaffield at Virgin Group Loyalty Company, 66 Porchester Road, W2 6ET will be looked at if there is still a gap. He is hiring another 15 people by year end, he told me last week.

15. OT: MR / Hilton transfer bonus offer: transferred 1k points day before yesterday, points hit account today, with no bonus. I guess the offer is indeed targetted then!

• It is targeted – confirmed by their marketing dept yesterday. Bonus points might not post for up to 8 wks though.

16. Hotels.com, as ever, has some extra gotchas. In this case, the 20% off coupon only works for 1 or 2 night stays. Also limited to the first 1250 or so bookings (the 11% offer applies to the first 1,000,000). Assuming you find eligible properties that is!
    Pretty much a waste of time … as per 99% of their promos.

17. OT – Curve linked to Barclay HH card, is there cash advance charge with ATM withdraw now? Hasn’t used since the rule change. Thanks.