Earlier this year, Hyatt announced it was teaming up with Small Luxury Hotels of the World to offer World of Hyatt members the opportunity to earn and spend points at these properties.
At the time there was not much information as to how this alliance would work. The partnership goes live on 6th December, however, and we now have a better understanding of what is going on.
You can find full details on this page of the Hyatt website.
This deal is, in some ways, transformational for Hyatt in the UK. At the moment, their only UK presence outside London is the Hyatt Regency in Birmingham.
Even including London, you are only adding an extra four properties of which two are ‘limited service’ Hyatt Place hotels nears Heathrow. In Central London it has Hyatt Regency The Churchill and the Andaz London Liverpool Street.
I rate Hyatt highly and it has some amazingly aspirational redemptions, mainly under the Park Hyatt brand. There are some great properties in Europe, especially in France (Paris, Nice, Cannes) and Germany. In general, however, it is very hard to earn World of Hyatt points if you are based in the UK.
From 6th December, the first 54 members of Small Luxury Hotels of the World are added to World of Hyatt, and are already bookable. It is an impressive list:
United Kingdom (and Jersey)
- Alexander House Hotel & Utopia Spa Turners Hill (Category 6)
- The Arden Hotel Stratford-upon-Avon (Category 4)
- Ashdown Park Hotel Forest Row (Category 5)
- The Capital Hotel & Apartments London (Category 6)
- Dukes London (Category 6)
- Flemings Mayfair London (Category 6)
- The Atlantic Hotel St Brelade Jersey (Category 6) – see second photo below
- Luton Hoo Hotel Golf & Spa Luton (Category 4) – see top photo below
- Nira Caledonia Edinburgh (Category 5)
- St. James’s Hotel and Club London (Category 6)
- Tylney Hall Hotel and Gardens Hook (Category 3)
- Byblos Art Hotel Villa Amista Verona (Category 6)
- Ca’Sagredo Hotel Venice (Category 7) – see bottom picture
- Centurion Palace Venice (Category 8)
- Grand Hotel Parker’s Naples (Category 5)
- Hotel de La Ville – Monza (Category 3)
- Hotel Lord Byron Rome (Category 5)
- Hotel Vilon (Category 8)
- Magna Pars Suites Milano (Category 6)
- Margutta 19 Rome (Category 7)
- Palazzo Sant’Angelo sul Canal Grande Venice (Category 7)
- Palazzo Vecchietti Florence (Category 8)
- Park Hotel ai Cappuccini Gubbio (Category 4)
- Relais San Lorenzo Bergamo (Category 6)
- Sikelia Sicily (Category 7)
- Villa Spalletti Trivelli Rome (Category 7)
- Aressana Spa Hotel and Suites Santorini (Category 6)
- Archipelagos Mykonos (Category 6)
- Elounda Gulf Villas and Suites Crete (Category 7)
- The Excelsior Thessaloniki (Category 3)
- Liostasi Hotel & Suites Ios (Category 6)
- Margi Athens (Category 6)
- On the Rocks Santorini (Category 6)
- Pietra e Mare Beach Hotel Mykonos (Category 6)
- San Antonio Santorini (Category 8)
- Santorini Secret Suites & Spa Santorini (Category 8)
- Sesa Boutique Hotel Kanali (Category 5)
- Theoxenia Palace & House Suites Athens (Category 3)
- Hotel and Spa des Pecheurs Corsica (Category 8)
- Hotel Le Strato Courchevel 1850 (Category 8)
- Les Etangs de Corot Versailles (Category 5)
- Ketschauer Hof Deidesheim (Category 5)
- The View Lugano (Category 8)
- Hotel de Orangerie Bruges (Category 5)
- Hotel St. Petersbourg Tallinn (Category 4)
- El Lodge Ski and Spa Sierra, Nevada (Category 7)
- Nobu Hotel Marbella (Category 7)
- Sant Francesc Hotel Singular Mallorca (Category 6)
- Columbia Beach Resort Limassol (Category 7)
- The Sukhothai Shanghai (Category 5)
- The Edison George Town Penang (Category 3)
- Gaya Island Resort Borneo (Category 5)
- Lanson Place Bukit Ceylon Kuala Lumpur (Category 3)
- Pangkor Laut Resort, Pangkor Laut (Category 5)
Additional properties will be added throughout the remainder of 2018 and 2019.
There are some good properties here. I have stayed at The Atlantic in Jersey and – admittedly this was a decade ago – it was impressive. It looks ugly from the outside but the interior had seen a fortune spent on it. St Ouen’s Bay, which it overlooks, is an amazing beach.
Ca’Sagredo in Venice looks astonishing, frankly:
How to redeem World of Hyatt points at Small Luxury Hotels
Hyatt has revamped their redemption chart, adding a new, higher tier called Category 8, in order to accommodate some of the most luxurious properties in the Small Luxury Hotels group.
This is the new chart. Hyatt claims that the new Category 8, at 40000 points per night, will NOT apply to any existing Hyatt hotels. It is only meant to be for top-end partner properties. Click to enlarge:
I tend to value Hyatt points at 1p, although at peak times you can often beat that easily. You shouldn’t have any trouble getting 1p at the properties above.
How to earn World of Hyatt points at Small Luxury Hotels
All World of Hyatt members also get the following benefits as standard when staying at a Small Luxury Hotels property:
Complimentary continental breakfast
Early check-in 12:00pm (based on availability)
Late check-out 2:00pm (based on availability)
Room upgrade to the next category up (based on availability)
Interestingly, having status in World of Hyatt isn’t worth anything at SLH hotels. The benefits are fixed. You will receive a status bonus on the points earned.
You will earn 5 base World of Hyatt points for every $1 spent.
Until now Hyatt has had very few UK properties. This alliance transforms their UK network and, as far as I know, adds the first real ‘luxury’ country house hotels in the UK that can be booked for reward points. (Marriott’s The Luxury Collection will soon be opening The Langley, however, which should easily be the best ‘country’ UK redemption option. I’m not including Hilton Syon Park because it is adjacent to a garden centre and overlooks a housing estate!)
As the alliance grows we may find ourselves writing more about Hyatt as it becomes a more relevant brand in the UK market. You can learn more about Small Luxury Hotels with World of Hyatt on the Hyatt website here.
(Want to earn more hotel points? Click here to see our complete list of promotions from the major hotel chains or use the ‘Hotel Promos’ link in the menu bar at the top of the page.)