BA

REGISTER NOW: IHG launches its new Accelerate-style promotion for January to April

IHG Rewards Club, the loyalty scheme covering InterContinental, Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza etc, has launched its new Spring promotion.

It is fundamentally another version of the long-running Accelerate offer, although this time it is called “Reward Nights. Faster.”

You can find out your targets, and register, on the IHG website here.

It is valid for stays between 15th January and 30th April.  The closing date for registration is 15th March – this is the first time I can remember that IHG has closed registrations early.

IHG Reward Nights Faster Spring promotion 2019

Once I had registered, I got the following targets:

10,000 bonus points for staying five nights

19,200 bonus points for staying at three different IHG brands

5,600 bonus points for 2 x 2-night weekend stays (Saturday plus another night)

8,000 bonus points for four stays booked on the corporate rate of the company I haven’t worked for since 2011, and which has special rates at very few properties anyway ….

3,000 bonus points for one stay in February

42,800 bonus points for completing four of the five targets above

This is fairly useless to me, frankly.  It is virtually impossible to hit the weekends target and I can’t see any scenario under which I could hit the ‘corporate rate’ target.

The 19,200 points bonus for staying at three different brands is an interesting one, however.  If I value an IHG point at 0.4p then I’m getting almost £80 of points back from those three stays – plus my standard points and the 3,000 points for a February stay – which is a good deal.

Realistically, I might be able to achieve 32,200 bonus points.  This would involve staying five nights over the next four months, taking in three different brands and ensuring one stay is in February.

My wife got the following targets:

10,000 bonus points for staying five nights

28,800 bonus points for staying at three different IHG brands

8,400 bonus points for two Holiday Inn stays

10,800 bonus points for 3 x 2-night weekend stays (Saturday plus another night)

6,600 bonus points for booking two ‘Bonus Point Packages’ (this is when the reservation system offers you additional points on your stay in return for paying a slightly higher rate)

This is VERY interesting:

she could earn 35,400 bonus points from just three nights, as long as each was at a different brand and two were ‘Bonus Point Packages’

she could earn 58,000 bonus points (worth £232 based on my 0.4p valuation) from just five nights, as long as they included two Holiday Inn nights, three different brands in total and two of the bookings were for ‘Bonus Point Packages’

IHG Rewards Club Reward Nights Faster bonus points promotion

Conclusion

The new IHG Rewards Club promotion is, at least in my house, surprisingly generous.

We don’t know what Marriott Rewards will do when MegaBonus ends on 31st January (MegaBonus details are here).  However, IHG’s ‘Rewards Nights. Faster.’ offer is looking a lot more generous for us (your position may be different) than Hilton’s new ‘2,000 bonus points per stay’ offer which I wrote about here.

I strongly recommend signing up now, especially as IHG is closing registrations early on 15th March, even though stays until 30th April count.  Remember that only stays from 15th January count – existing bookings are OK and do not need to be rebooked.

You can register for the new IHG promotion here.

Avios Ireland: 50% bonus Avios in AerClub with SuperValu
Why Amex Gold is the ideal starter Amex for a miles and points newcomer

BA
IHG
BA

Comments

1. Cora Harrison says:

Earn double points on every stay, starting with your second stay…. yawn…

2. I got the same as Cora- seems to be similar (worse actually) as the offer in Q4 2018 (unlimited double points). Double Your Stay: Earn double points on every stay, starting with your second stay, up to 40,000 bonus points…

3. OT, but I have just logged into IHG and I am STILL showing as Spire. I earned Spire in 2016; it was legitimately valid for 2017; and for reasons I don’t understand I was renewed for 2018. If it continues into 2019 it would be a huge bonus (I actually really value it, as I always seem to get a suite upgrade which is a real benefit with a 1-year old). Have I been super lucky, or are they just late in updating status for 2019?

• you didn’t buy Ambassador by any chance? some reports of that extending it

• Genghis says:

I thought that no longer works?

• Ooh I don’t know, never used it myself as had Spire anyway, just trying to think up a possible explanation 🙂

• If you bought Amb in early-mid 2018 you would extend your Spire until end 2019. It doesn’t seem to work any more for new joiners, but people renewing Amb have extended Spire until end 2019 and in some cases end 2020 (remains to be seen whether this gets treated as a gltich and “fixed”).

• Paul Ashmore says:

My accelerate bar has been set really high this time

25,600 to stay at 5 brands
      7,200 stay at 3 holiday inns
      7,200 stay 3 weekends
      6,600 when I book 5 bonus points packages
      4,000 book 1 stay of 4 or more consecutive nights

3,000 for the feb booking (that is simple enough)

How is it mine is so much harder than the ones mentioned in the article.

• I have the same says express 31/12/18 but doesn’t seem to have updated.

• Daniel Evans says:

My Spire told me it expired on 31/12/19 which is an extra year. I did legit earn the points to extend it but would have got an extra year regardless. I am an Ambassador.

• MAriusz says:

I was Platinum member for 5 years, staying max 5 nights a year

4. Anyone know if there’s likely to be any IHG Ambassador offers coming up to purchase new membership? Membership expired but only have option of $200 or 40,000 points to buy new one. Is buying with points decent value at 0.4p?

5. Should be renewal option of $150 as well

• Thanks @mutley but it’s not there. Phoned them and they said it was because it expired at end Nov and there was nothing they could do.

• Ah, damn that’s a shame – the renewal with 10% back on redemptions is definitely quite a nice one. Failing that if you have to apply afresh and have a reasonable number of points I’d say it’s pretty reasonable to pay with points rather than cash – I have a similar valuation of them to you.

6. Stay at 3 brands and get 28,800 bonus points.
    Stay at 2 Holiday Inn® hotel(s)—including Holiday Inn Resort® and Holiday Inn Club Vacations®—and earn 8,400 bonus points.
    Stay 2 weekend(s), including a Saturday night and another night, and earn 12,000 bonus points.
    Earn 4,000 bonus points when you book 1 stay(s) of 4 or more consecutive nights.

7. Mine’s unachievable this time unfortunately, particularly as I’ve already got non-IHG breaks booked during that period.
    4 brands, 6 nights, points+cash booking (might do that but not sure if they’re good value), bonus points package. And only a bonus if I hit all 4.

8. MichaelG says:

Total option for 137,200 points but won’t hit them all, particularly weekend and consecutive nights. Still should be able to get at least 46,000 points.

9. Scott s says:

I’d already booked The Met, Leeds to stay in late January. I take it this counts as one brand , so say I booked a holiday inn as well, I would have met the target of “stay at two ihg brands”?

• Scott s says:

Also, I’d booked it before this offer started but it will still count won’t it?

• Double check the T&Cs for your offer but historically it’s really just been the app booking bonuses that have required the booking to take place within the offer period.

10. Lady London says:

Personally I’d move the 4 nights whole Barclay stay to another hotel group then. You can do better with Hilton right now. 5 nights would get you 20,000 Hilton on current promo. I think they are counting reward nights in too. 20,000 Hilton would give you a spendable value that’s not much different from IHG points spending at mid- to lower levels of hotel.

2,000 for 4 nights is pathetic. Would be better if they hadn;t offered you anything!

It’s a pity IHG doesn;t seem to be tracking how many nights and stays are cancelled as soon as people sign in and see their “new Accelerator” offer !!!

• Lady London says:

apologies to get the full 20,000 with Hilton the 5 nights would have to each be split into a separate stay per night. (so migrate hotel each night. this might not be what your companion has in mind :-).

Even not splitting them though you’d still get 10,000 Hilton points.
      Which has about the same value at the lower end as IHG points. However IHG is offering you a miserable 2,000 points for 4 nights. Whereas Hilton is offering you 10,000 for 5 nights that can include a (free?) reward night.

11. OT

Does Radisson honour elite benefits when booked through third party (e.g. Amex travel) I found that you don’t earn points but couldn’t see anything about status benefits

Thanks

12. The Original Nick says:

This is one of my offers,

Does this mean I can stay at a HI one night and then a HIX another night and achieve the 8400 points or does it mean 2 x HI hotels?

13. Angk1214 says:

O/T

Best Priority Pass lounge or Oneworld lounge in SIN? Have a 3h layover (landing in T4 and leaving T1) and am BA silver but also have PP through Amex Plat.

Not sure which of the (many options) is the best! Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Angk12

• The Original Nick says:

I’ve used the Plaza Premium lounge in T1 and it was nice and quiet with a very good spread of food. Some of the alcohol was chargeable I think though.

• TGLoyalty says:

Strange policy too full price rather than a supplement.

I might be willing to pay £1-2 extra for a more premium drink but I’m not paying £6-7 instead.

14. RussellH says:

Does anyone know if either the Leeds Met, or the Manchester Principal actually qualify for this promotion? The Ts+Cs only refer to Kimpton, which these are supposed to turn into at some stage, but if they are not branded as such???

• I would guess, as they now earn points, that they WON’T count for brand challenges but WILL count for nights challenges. Can’t be sure though.

• RussellH says:

Thanks, Rob.

My partner has a 4 brands challenge AND is interested in the Free Night offer for two nights in the hotels of the Principal group, and hoping that a cheap stay at the Leeds Met would work on both offers at once.

I do not have any challeneges, just double points after the first stay, so with an expensive stay at an IC in early Feb I needed a cheap stay after 15 Jan to trigger double points at the IC. £44/night cash or £43.25 + 5000 points made me laugh, though. (Makes possible sense though the night before, where the cash price is above £100/night.)

15. Craig R says:

Apologies, i’m a relative newbie to accelerate. I have my set of targets jan-apr, but must I book direct with IHG to qualify as having hit the target? I will be staying in an IHG hotel for a night in Feb with work (worth 3,000 points) and will be required to book through our corporate travel agent as opposed to directly. Thanks in advance.

16. Hi
    New to these offers but I’ve got my IHG account set up to earn Avios. Two questions if anyone can help much appreciated..
    1..Is earning avios rather than IHG points better value?
    2. If I’m earning Avios – will I qulafy for the bonus points as points or do they get converted to avios too? I realise this may be a question for CS but your thoughts on Avios over IHG Points would still be interesting to hear.

Cheers J

• My offer is Earn 42,800 total bonus points. It looks straight forward –

Is this possible with two 2 night stays at weekend with bonus points package; Each at a different hotel?

Points Value Offer Description Status
      12,000 Saturday Stays Bonus

2,800 Stay at 2 IHG® Hotels
      Stay at 2 IHG® hotel(s) and earn 2,800 bonus points. Terms

6,600 Earn More, Faster
      Earn 6,600 bonus points when you book 2 Bonus Points Package stay(s) and get to your next reward faster. Terms

21,400 Your Achievement Bonus
      Complete 3 of the 3 offers and earn (an additional) 21,400 bonus points. Terms

• These bonuses only pay in points. However, if your account is set to Avios then you may invalidate yourself from the offer – check the small print. There are two options – a) you get nothing, b) you get the bonus but as points. You will NOT do c) get the bonus and see it automatically converted.

17. Scott Steele says:

Very confused about the dates for the new accelerate

How does it work?

Book and stay at any IHG® hotel around the world from now until 30 April

then the T’ & C’s say
    Reward Nights Faster
    Starts: 15/01/2019

• Existing bookings account UNLESS you have a target which involves booking via the app, when history shows that IHG can track this and will insist on it being booked after 15th.

18. Earn 107,700 total bonus points.

Complete all of your Free Nights. Faster offers and earn total bonus points.
    My Offers
    Points Value Offer Description Status
    56,000 Stay More, Earn More
    Get closer to the rewards you want when you stay 28 night(s) and earn 56,000 bonus points. Terms
    BOOK NOW
    28,800 Saturday Stays Bonus
    Stay 12 weekend(s), including a Saturday night and another night, and earn 28,800 bonus points. Terms
    BOOK NOW
    11,200 Stay at 4 IHG® Hotels
    Stay at 4 IHG® hotel(s) and earn 11,200 bonus points. Terms
    BOOK NOW
    7,200 Earn More, Faster
    Earn 7,200 bonus points when you book 3 Bonus Points Package stay(s) and get to your next reward faster. Terms
    BOOK NOW
    1,500 Spend on your IHG® Rewards Club Select Credit Card
    Book and pay for one stay with your IHG® Rewards Club Select Credit Card and earn 1,500 bonus points. Terms
    BOOK NOW
    3,000 February Bonus Offer
    Stay once in February and get 3,000 bonus points. Terms
    BOOK NOW

19. Any historical evidence of 100% match to buy points during Jan-Feb? Am trying to plan a trip in February that could use a small boost. Any expertise would be appreciated, thanks!!

20. Louise Sargeant says:

Hi, I have the 40,000 offer and have booked a 5 night at hotel indigo and 1 night IHG, I think this should count for the 4 night stay and I night via app booking, for the stay at two different brands do I need to book one or two more hotels?