Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Finnair launches flights to Sapporo, bookable on Avios

Finnair, a British Airways partner in the oneworld alliance, will launch flights to Sapporo in Japan this Winter.  It becomes the first European airline to fly to the city since KLM dropped the route back in 2002.

The service will only operate for a short period between 15th December and 27th March 2020.  Flights will depart from Helsinki on Thursdays and Sundays.

Sapporo will be the 5th Finnair destination in Japan following Tokyo, Osaka, Nagoya and Fukuoka.  The direct route from the UK to Japan takes you over Scandinavia which is why the flight time from Helsinki to Sapporo is only 8hr 55 min.

Booked with Avios, Economy seats are 50,000 points + £254.  Business Class is 150,000 Avios + £362.

Finnair appears to have released two Economy and two Business Class seats per flight, and availability was good when I looked yesterday.

Comments (158)

• Mark1980 says:

OT has anyone any experience with booking Melia or Iberostar hotels with Avios? I know Rob ran an article about a reader (Waribai?) booking Iberostar in the past. The T’s and C’s say for 2 adults so I was wondering if anyone had any success in booking for a room accommodating children aswell? Thanks.

• Peter K says:

I looked at this last year. If your contact the hotel you want to stay at directly they can get you the price per night to upgrade on top of the avios cost. Eg we looked at star prestige rooms rather than the standard ones booked on avios and it was €86 per night half board.

• xcalx says:

Can also get free lounge access at certain airports with 150 euro spend.

Priority pass: Airport VIP lounge
    Get free access with purchases above 150€ in our Duty Free stores. Available at Adolfo Suarez Madrid-Barajas, Barcelona-El Prat, Bilbao, Valencia and Seville airports. Access to VIP lounge at the airport where the purchase is made.

• Brighton Belle says:

Where do you lookup and buy Finnair flights with Avios?

• Scottydogg says:

So if you signed up for this , you could get lounge access , would you start on ‘Silver member’
    How do you progress to Gold and Platinum ?

• Optimus Prime says:

BTW if you add a supplementary card to those they give a £5 bonus.

• r* says:

Do hilton definitely status match ihg plat to diamond?

• Crafty says:

• Lady London says:

Is that a straight match without any further requirements, or is every match from Hilton now a status match challenge i.e. Might Hilton match immediately, but require x nights in y period in order to keep the match?

When do Hilton years end? is it calendar, or anniversary?

• M says:

Yes, I have both types in my account with no issues…

• Ben says:

O/T following on from my question yesterday about booking return 241 flights. I called the USA line at 11.40 and was on hold throughout. I ended up booking as one ways in the end. I called this morning and was told off🙄 by the agent for doing this! She said I should call at 10pm just before they close. I tried explaining about the 12am release but she wasn’t having it!

In the end, she ended up combining my two bookings and refunding my Avios although I’m paying about £20 in extra tax at the moment. I probably will need to call back, because I’m not very confident that it will all go through properly!

Incidentally, these were seats back from Dubai, and it was amazing how quickly all the seats including economy went. It really is a case of fastest finger first!