Bits: more good KLM ex-UK business deals, Radisson Rewards launches a generous Spring promotion

News in brief:

More good KLM business class deals from the UK

A few days ago I wrote about the aggressive business class fares from London to Seoul offered by Air France and KLM.  You can get as low as £1329 return for much of the year.

Having had a dig, it seems that this is not the only good offer out there.  Based on flights from London – although you can also get similar fares from KLM’s UK regional airports – I can see:

• Delhi £1189
  • Mumbai £1300
  • Bangalore £1449
  • Bahrain £1200
  • Abu Dhabi £1149
  • Dubai £1249
  • Muscat £1400
  • Ho Chi Minh City £1410
  • Panama City £1548
  • Johannesburg £1719
  • Cape Town £1999
  • Bogota £1449
  • Seoul is also still there from £1329

These are the lowest fares for 2019 found when searching on klm.com and using the default departure period of ‘Between now and January 2020’.  It is worth noting that these fares are widely available throughout 2019.

These flights need to be credited to a SkyTeam frequent flyer programme such as Flying Blue or Delta SkyMiles.  However, if you are travelling from April onwards it is possible that you will also be able to credit them to Virgin Flying Club – it depends on the official start date for the new Virgin / Air France KLM joint venture.

Look at reviews of the plane you will be using before booking, as Air France still has some with sloping beds in Business Class.  I believe that KLM is now fully flat on all aircraft – see an example seat below.

Have a play around at klm.com and see what you can find.

KLM Business Class

Earn 120,000 bonus Radisson Rewards points with their Spring promotion

Radisson Rewards – the loyalty scheme for Radisson Blu, Radisson RED, Radisson Collection, Park Inn and Park Plaza hotels – has launched its new Spring promotion.

If you can push a lot of business their way over the next 10 weeks it could work out very nicely indeed.

It is a simple one, based on the number of nights you do between now and 31st March:

• Stay 1 night, earn 1,000 bonus points
  • Stay 2 nights, earn 3,000 bonus points
  • Stay 5 nights, earn 10,000 bonus points
  • Stay 10 nights, earn 50,000 bonus points
  • Stay 20 nights, earn 120,000 bonus points

The bonus posts cumulatively.  You receive 1,000 points after your first night, an additional 2,000 (total 3,000) after your 2nd night, an additional 7,000 (total 10,000) after your fifth night etc.

I value a Radisson Rewards point at around 0.33p.  This means that you are getting a very modest £3.33 return if you do just one night.  If you do exactly 20 nights, however, you will have received a bonus of 120,000 points which is worth around £400 – that is a VERY attractive £20 per night!

Existing bookings WILL count.  Interestingly, points and ‘points and cash’ stays will count too.  This means that if you can find a very cheap 9,000 point hotel (there are none left in the UK but they still exist in other countries) and stayed there for 20 nights, you would get 2/3rd of your points back!

You MUST register in order to take part, which can be done at this page of the Radisson Rewards website.

EXCLUSIVE PICS: We reveal the changes to British Airways World Traveller Plus
Marriott Bonvoy officially launches on 13th February!

Comments

1. OT – does the pro rata refund now get rounded to the nearest month? Or is it that the fee on hits at the end of the first month of the new card yr? Missed Plat fee hitting by a couple of days and got 11/12s back. Not particularly worried, just curious as it seems different.

2. Mikeact says:

Bits. If you’re looking to get to Sydney from London in the next few weeks, Qantas have released number of seats in all cabins, which is extremely unusual for Qantas , as similar to BA, reward seats are difficult to come by, especially up front.

• Lady London says:

Lots of offers coming up generally for UK or Europe to longhaul especially February and March this year across the alliances. More than usual at this time I would say.

Not sure if this means that overall bookings are soft for Feb/Mar or perhaps the late Easter this year has meant that people are booking later?

Good news about Qantas award seat availability. Especially as it’s still summer in Australia now. Now, if only the “taxes” on long haul award seats were not so high, if using British Airways avios…

3. Does anybody remember how to add your rewards number for Radisson or Hilton to Amex for transfer’s, it doesn’t accept my number as is – however I vaguely remember your supposed to add or subtract some digits?

Also does anybody know roughly when the annual amex bonus points post, is it genuinely months later?

• Gold bonus posts about 30 days after renewal.

Starwood – try adding 0000 at the beginning if you have an issue (this was for old SPG account numbers not new 9-digit Marriott ones)
      Flying Blue – try adding 00 at the beginning if you have an issue
      Radisson – try dropping the first 6 digits if you have an issue
      Virgin Flying Club – call Amex if you have an issue as the system has been troublesome for some time

• For Radisson I had to do it over the phone, took about 5 working days. Hilton went through fine online.

4. Virgin Money Card – 10000 Points.

I hit £1000 in current statement, though I don’t see extra 5000 points on my statement, is this correct (i.e. No extra 5000 points on statement but will be posted to my VA account directly).

5. OT – I’ve never had cause to know before and I’ve not been able to find the answer online – can I use Curve at NS&I? I found some things that suggested I could. I tried last night but it failed, although that might be due to the balance on my underlying card.

• Yes you can, but may be limited to “cash-like transactions” limit on the underlying card.

Try with MBNA if you can

• Thanks Stuart – I used Virgin which has worked with other cash-like transactions. I’ll persevere.

6. OT – Qatar just released a movie with all the hype and teasing. No sale then

• Indeed. More of a ‘if you are a white family with children you can fly with us to more places and see more white people’. My, can’t imagine who the affluent target audience is LOL!

7. Q: How long after closing an Amex credit card (taking me from 1 charge and 2 credit cards with them down to 1 charge and 1 credit) would it be safe to apply for another [differently branded] credit card with Amex?

• What do you mean by “safe”? I’ve got 3 amex credit cards

• Maybe I’m mis-remembering but felt sure Rob once said Amex think 2 amex credit plus 2 amex charge cards per customer is enough. Perhaps it’s not?

• Since Gold switched to Credit that rule doesn’t seem to apply and was never a firm rule.

• Along the same lines, can anybody tell me can I refer myself the BAPP from my Amex Platinum to get the Amex 18k as well as the 26k Avios? Thanks

• Bonglim says:

Olly Yes (as long as you have not had any BA cards in the last 6 months)

• RussellH says:

I currently have three Amex credit cards.
          I suspect that compared with a significant number of readers my income is low – I struggle to get the £1000 / 3 mth spend without making carefully timed charitable donations and/or resorting to Billhop to pay a bit of income tax.
          Weirdly, the SPG card (my newest) was the first one in years to be approved immediately.

• guesswho2000 says:

Immediately, you can have 2 charge, 2 credit (although others have even had more than that).

• That rule is now dead, and I doubt it was ever alive. Many of us had more cards than that.

• You should be fine with just one conbranded card. I was informed by a CSA in November it would not be wise to apply for a third cobranded card. I have no idea if this was just her thoughts or policy but I erred on side of caution and will only apply for SPG after cancelling nectar later this month.

• I was declined for a third cobranded (credit) card a couple of months back, my first-ever decline in all these years of churning. I was shocked 😉

TBH I was more surprised that Amex still haven’t closed all my accounts and told me never to darken their door again. We’ve done quite well out of them despite never really spending large sums.

• Thanks? proves it is still possible at least.

8. Jonathan says:

Sorry, I know this has been queried before but looking for recent evidence. Are HMRC payments being treated as cash advance by Creation (IHG) or Virgin through Curve. Have put small trial payments through but not sure if fees & interest would only show up at statement date which would be after 31st Jan. Thanks in advance

• Did this in September, all good. Have just done it again in January for a substantial tax bill but haven’t had my statement yet but don’t see why it would be different to September??

• Same question but for Hilton Visa please.

• Stephan says:

All clear on my “Crv*Hmrc London” transactions too (November).

• Peter K says:

Did Virgin through curve in December for HMRC and went through with no charge at the time and no fees on the statement that came through this week.

• Froggee says:

Yep – paid HMRC 6th January with Virgin via Curve and no charges on statement issued yesterday.

9. OT hoping for some Singapore Airllines advice if possible. I’m looking to build a balance of miles / points that can be redeemed for SQ premium cabins. Primarily I’ll need to earn via a UK issued credit card. I already have SPG Amex but am looking at an alternative Visa / Mastercard option. As far as I can tell there are two options. The new Miles and More card and the HSBC World Elite card. HSBC would require me changing banks for my current account so my preference would probably be to go down the Miles and More route (the ongoing earning rate is also better and a lower annual fee). However could anyone advise whether Miles and More has full access to Singapore premium cabins (unlike Virgin for example), if so does M&M have access to both Saver and Advantage seats? If the answer to either of these questions is ‘no’ I’ll plump for the HSBC card instead. Many thanks.

• New Card says:

Availability on Singapore flights (inc suites) is better for KrisFlyer members than members of any affiliate airline’s loyalty program. If Singapore is your goal I’d go with the HSBC card notwithstanding the lower earning rate (partly offset by the better sign up bonus). HSBC points are also more flexible.

10. OT Marriott questions: 1. I have been trying to cancel an old MTP cat7 (new cat5) for 105k points with a view to transferring 120k to LH to facilitate a First redemption. Agents yesterday and today both refused saying the certificates can no longer be cancelled. Is this true, something new? Only last month I was assured it was possible. 2. I already merged my MR and SPG accounts. When applying for the amex SPG card do I just quote my Marriott account number when it asks for SPG number?

• 1. Still possible for old certs AFAIK – worth HUACA or trying a diff call centre? May be more data points in FT thread
      2. Yep

• Thanks Alan, I’ll keep trying until I find one that cancels. Hopefully by time I get new SPG card all the points transfer issues will be resolved.

11. OT: 1st churn, seven months from cancellation date. How long for a progress bar to sign up bonus to appear? Ta.

• Don’t think the churn matters, the progress bars just come and go. Maybe try app instead of website to see if appears there?

12. Activated Radisson offer the same day I checked out after spotting this on Loyalty Lobby when in the airport lounge -was a points stay (Park Inn Oslo Airport, very nice upgrade, would recommend!) – wouldn’t say no to free 1k points though! Shame they didn’t advertise it better in advance of the start date.

13. OT – I had to cancel some (non-refundable) FlyBe flights SEN-MAN due to a bereavement last summer and the flights were “put on hold” for me to rebook at a later time – provided I send them a copy of the death certificate, I’ll just need to pay any fare difference. I have just started to look at dates but it appears that FlyBe no longer fly this route… does anybody know what my options might be?

I imagine I could be offered a refund/credit to use on a different route, but was wondering if there is anything else I could be asking for?

• Lady London says:

As they probably technically did not have to make any concession to you I think you’ve done rather well. It was very nice of them to do what they did.

Personally I think this would be most effective if you find what other route you would want, and call them and explain that as they’ve stopped the route could you please use the one at the date and time you want to book instead.

Somehow I just feel asking for a “blank” refund/credit to be issued or held for you, is pushing the favour you’ve had just a bit too far…. I would just work out what you want and ask them for it directly. Also don’t expect to be able to change again after that.,

I may be wrong on this but just my twopenceworth as it’s very nice of them to be so kind to you.

14. OT: Considering hotel hopping between the Hilton and Doubletree in Sukhumvit to maximise promotion points and more importantly meet my Diamond challenge. Has anyone done this? Any pitfalls with this? Is there a chance status will be refused despite hitting the stay count?

• Simple, go for it. Hotels are next door to each other so it’s easy. Biggest problem might be whether rooms are ready. If not, just leave your bags and come back at end of the day.

• I did that on Hilton & DT in Sukhunvit last year without any issue.

15. Anyone have a decent equivalent of the old Avios zone map that would show you where you could fly and availability?

The old link was https://www.avios.com/gb/en_gb/spend/zone-map?from=SpendNav#/map