BA Sale

Save 25% on Virgin Atlantic Premium Economy tickets when two or more travel

Starting today and running until Thursday, Virgin Atlantic will be running a ‘two together’ discount as it winds up its January sale.

You can save 25% on group bookings of two or more passengers, in Premium Economy only, on the following routes:

• London Gatwick to Barbados
    • London Heathrow to Barbados
    • London Gatwick to Jamaica
    • London Gatwick to Antigua
    • Manchester to Boston
    • Manchester to New York
    • Manchester to Las Vegas
    • Manchester to Orlando
    • Manchester to Los Angeles

Take a look at the Virgin Atlantic website here for details.

To maximise your miles when paying, your best bet is one of the two Virgin Atlantic Reward credit cards.  These earn double miles (3 per £1 on the paid card or 1.5 per £1 on the free card) when you book at virginatlantic.com or via Virgin Holidays.  Another option is American Express Preferred Rewards Gold which offers double points – 2 per £1 – when you book flight tickets directly with an airline.

PS. Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Virgin Flying Club miles.  That page is regularly updated with the latest special offers and will still be accurate even if you are reading this article months after publication.

FIVE DAYS ONLY, ENDS FRIDAY: 30% off UK & Ireland bookings for IHG Rewards Club members
Lufthansa business class deals to Asia and South America

BA Sale

Comments

1. OT – Sorry I know this is asked fairly regularly but can’t remember answers.

How long roughly should I expect to wait for offers to appear on a new amex? It’s only a nectar amex, so not expecting much anyway, but we’re in between gold cards and there’s nothing useful on my BA. Would like some half decent offers while we’re doing a lot of new baby spending.

• Usually around 2 weeks for me once I start using the card

• @Sam – don’t get your hopes up, in my experience the number and relevance of offers on the Nectar card are very poor compared to Gold or Plat. I’ve had my Nectar card for 2 months and in that time there have been about 8 offers, the only decent one the Amex Travel one (£50 off £200). On my Plat there are currently >30 offers, hopefully some good new ones arriving in Feb as lots expiring this week.

• RussellH says:

It was more like 2 months for me with my Gold Amex, started last August. About a month with my over-the-weekend-cancelled SPG Amex.

2. 1 Yes
    2 No in theory but yes in practice
    3 Don’t think it makes much difference as you’ll still have the Plat CB open. Any more info would require Amex underwriters to break NDA. But just in case you get declined for the gold, would you want to continue having the BAPP or would you cancel regardless?
    4 Don’t do it if you want a mortgage in the next 18-24 months otherwise banks don’t really care IME

3. OT:

Anyway to still sign up for the old cruve black card for £50 (and getting the free tumi wallet)?

4. OT:
    Use American Express Membership Rewards points at Amazon.co.uk

Is this a once per amazon account deal? I tried deleting my amex, then re-enrolling, but getting error message when using the card.

anyway to use the offer again with the same amazon account?

• Persuade someone else with an amazon account to let you link your card to there account to place an order. Then delete the card afterwards. It needs to have been open for a few months.

• TGLoyalty says:

Do you mean the money off coupon? It’s once per account but can be linked to and used on multiple accounts.

Or do you mean for using points in general as that’s an awful return for your points.

5. Any clues on when the VS 30% sale goes live?

• They told me today and I was expecting it at midnight but ….

• Seems to be very exclusive heads up, nothing out there yet, maybe tomorrow

• The problem is that this came via Virgin’s marketing agency, not Virgin directly, and so you have another party in the middle with additional ability to mess things up.

• Seems to be 25% off Premium class

• Mark got a link advertising that?

• TripRep…The VA home page is advertising “Extra savings when you book 2 or more people in premium”. I think the 25% off may apply to the current sale though, apologies.

I’ve checked for the route I want and I’m seeing no change in prices. Not sure how widespread the “extra savings” are.

• and MAN-MCO aint on the list.. hmmmph

maybe they might do something later this week, although I imagine folks that have already booked might get annoyed…

6. OT- Question regarding BA Amex cards.

If you were to use the free BA Amex with card year starting in January, reach £10k spend in December and upgrade to trigger the 241 voucher with the BAPP card which you then want to keep for the following year. Would you then have to pay the £195 fee in the December, then pay it again the following month at the start of the next card year?

7. Must sound like a noob question, but still – how do I actually book Oneworld flights on BA website? I can see the flights I need on LATAM website (Santiago – Lima), but nothing there on BA.

On a separate note, I have about 300K avios, 2 x BA 241 and 2 x Lloyds vouchers. What are my best options for Lima – there are no BA redemptions available for the dates I need. I could do London – Santiago via BA 24q, and then Santiago – Lima for cash, or are there better options (via Iberia, transferring points to LATAM etc)?

Thanks.

• If you’re talking about paid flights you have to book with the actual airline or a travel agent, unless BA offers a codeshare which can be booked standalone (else it needs to connect to a BA flight).

You book avios redemptions on oneworld airlines on the BA website

You can’t transfer avios to LATAM

• I decided on scl with my 241 plus using avios to book scl to Lima reward flights on late via the BA website. Can also do a return only using avios on Iberia they don’t work doing one ways. Baggage is strange on latm as it depends on the class and which part of latm is selling the ticket. I booked 4 internal flights and they all had a different baggage allowance. Free bag if you are BA silver

• I have used my 241 for London to Lima, avois redemption on Latam for Lima to Cancun (5.5 hrs though), and return on the 241 for cancun to London. Gets me a 2 centre holiday with Machu Picchu (Avios redemptions Lima to Cusco and return) and a beach break in Cancun. I did book it all as soon as flights were released, not sure what availability is like closer to the time…….

8. OT: Amex Platinum Supps
    I understand Platinum members can get one additional Plat then any combination of 4 Gold or Green cards. May I ask if there’s any difference between the Gold or Green cards? Does the Gold supp have any of the Gold CC benefits like double points on airline purchases? Or is the choice of Gold or Green purely aesthetic? I plan on getting my other half the Platinum supp and want to take out another supp but wondering if I should go for one over another.

• Aesthetic, as far as I know. You are NOT getting a Preferred Rewards Gold so no lounge passes etc.

9. Jordan D says:

Amex Travel Offer query – I’ve got the spend £600, get £200 back: can’t tell from the T&Cs but is cumulative spend (i.e. multiple flights) ok, or does it have to be £600 in one transaction?

• Cumulative is fine – lots of us have had success with this 🙂

• I’ve never had any success finding flights that aren’t more expensive on Amex Travel, totally negates the offer imho

• Shoestring says:

Exactly the same fare in my experience (European short haul).

But T-330 days vs T-355 doesn’t help.

10. rams1981 says:

OT Lloyd’s upgrade voucher vs BA website. Have 2 vouchers in my name and Mrs name. Booked as two outbound with one voucher and the two return with the other. Seems to have led to a higher tax than pricing as a return x 2 passengers. Is this normal?

11. OT.
    I have made an Avios booking in the past. I have now made another booking for different people for the same flight, all part of one family. Can I somehow merge the bookings so they will all sit together?

• If you are Gold, yes. Call BA, it is called TCP (‘to complete party’). If not Gold, no.

• Shoestring says:

You can’t do the more formal TCP by right but you can phone & get the bookings ‘linked’. This always worked for us when as a family we had 4 Avios tickets + 1 cash ticket, so 2 different booking references – they did some kind of informal TCP or linking so that we sat together.

[I guess it *was* TCP, tbh, not that I’ve got status. Just be pleasant on the phone, works wonders.]

& stress the family aspect.

• yup, link PNR would work as well for non-Golds.
      If less than 3 days before departure and you’re passing by an airport, you can also try to link them in the system (soft link mind you, you’d get the seating but keep the 2 PNRs)