Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

New British Airways route to Mykonos launched with decent Avios availability

British Airways has announced a new service from London Stansted to Mykonos.

This will use an Embraer E190 aircraft which serves London City Airport during the week.  This means it is a weekend-only service:

• Departs Stansted 10.05, arrives Mykonos 15.50 (Sunday)
  • Departs Mykonos 16.35, arrives Stansted 18.35 (Saturday)

It will operate from 19th May to 29th September.

There was still decent Avios availability when I checked yesterday.  Remember that:

• these flights are 2×2 seating so there is no ’empty middle seat’ in Club Europe
  • you still get free drinks and a snack in Economy / Euro Traveller

If you are a BA Gold card holder, remember that you cannot book this service using a ‘double Avios’ Gold Priority Reward – explained here – because it is operated by BA CityFlyer.

The trade-off is the cancellation of London Stansted to Nice this Summer.  If you are booked on this service you will be moved to another British Airways flight from another airport.

British Airways Stansted Mykonos

British Airways drops London City to Paris Orly

British Airways has announced the suspension of its flights from London City to Paris Orly.

Flights will end on 1st June, with BA stating that they were not commercially viable.

how to earn avios from credit cards

How to earn Avios from UK credit cards (January 2021)

As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Avios from UK credit cards.  Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses!

There are two official British Airways American Express cards:

British Airways American Express card

British Airways American Express

5,000 Avios for signing up, no annual fee and a companion voucher for spending £20,000 Read our full review

BA Premium Plus American Express card BAPP

British Airways American Express Premium Plus

25,000 Avios and the UK’s most valuable credit card perk – the 2-4-1 companion voucher Read our full review

You can also get generous sign-up bonuses by applying for American Express cards which earn Membership Rewards points, such as:

Nectar American Express

American Express Preferred Rewards Gold

Your best beginner’s card – 20,000 points, FREE for a year & two airport lounge passes Read our full review

American Express Platinum card Amex

The Platinum Card from American Express

30,000 points and an unbeatable set of travel benefits – for a fee Read our full review

Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Avios. This includes both personal and small business cards.

If you have a small business, we especially recommend Capital On Cap’s Visa card which comes with a generous bonus worth 10,500 Avios:

Capital On Tap Business Rewards Visa

The most generous Avios Visa or Mastercard for a limited company Read our full review

(Want to earn more Avios?  Click here to visit our home page for our latest articles on earning and spending your Avios points and click here to see how to earn more Avios this month from offers and promotions.)

Comments (63)

• Craig says:

OT: looks like my travel plans for next year will clash with the refurbishment of the IC Hong Kong. Any recommendations for an alternative? Thanks.

• TGLoyalty says:

Hotel Icon is very good. Not a chain hotel though.

• Jake Mc says:

Entirely depends on price. Ritz, 4S or Mandarin Or are all of a good standard from what I have heard. The peninsular is good if you want something more ‘traditional’. Haven’t stayed but have had dinner.

I have stayed at the Cordis twice – its in kowloon – but the club rooms offer a great lounge for a v.decent rate. Nice rooftop swimming pool and above a metro station so really easy to get around.

Depending on what you want to do, I would stay here and save the money for other experiences.

• G Flyer says:

I loved the Cordis too. Fab rooms, great service and nice attention to detail. A small touch, but I still remember it: the maid untangled and tidied up the lead of my iPhone charger with a stylish Cordis branded piece of velcro!

• Sapiens says:

Grand hyatt has the best outdoor pool in HK. Highly recommend staying there.

• Craig says:

Thanks all.

• Matt says:

I want to book Gatwick to Charles de Gaulle via BA but operated by Vueling, so I can take advantage of the BA lounge. The BA website will let me do this up to the end of March but not beyond. I’ve seen this before when the schedule changes from winter/summer and vice versa. Can anyone hazard a guess when BA will load the flights?

• marcw says:

In general, Vueling code share flights for the next season are loaded quite late on BA & IB.IB flights operated by VY are already loaded on IB systems for the summer season.. no idea when VY summer flights will be available on BA systems

• Michael says:

OT: how long does it take for points from my SPG amex to turn up in my marriot bonvoy account?

• Simon says:

6 days before monthly statement date

• Michael says:

Ok. Mine have recently gone and not turned up in my bonvoy account yet. My first month having the card so i’m not sure how it works.

• Anna says:

Have you checked Amex haven’t made you a new Marriott account – apparently this is known to happen even if you have given them the correct account number?. I am also in my first month of having the SPG card so waiting to see how it works out.

• Mark2 says:

What Simon says is true, but that is when they leave Amex. They take a further few days to appear on your Marriott account.

• Michael says:

*FANTASTIC* news that Loganair has saved the DERRY to London route, the only direct service linking London to the northwest of Ireland!
    I’ve been using the route for years (as it was operated by Ryanair before Flybmi).
    It’s always been very reasonably priced if you book in advance and the Flybmi service felt like flying with a boutique airline. Haven’t flown Loganair before but looking forward to giving them a go.

• Bob says:

I do not know if Loganair has already announced wich type of aircraft it will fly.
      But ironically you may fly on an ex-flybmi aircraft on that route.
      I read Loganair had already planned to take two aircraft from flybmi.
      And it was a decision taken before the closing of flybmi.

• Zoe says:

OT before my husband upgrades his gold amex chargecard to platinum am I right in thinking he should cancel my supp card as we can then add again later for more points?

• thehornets says:

I would, but you may find that they issue a supplementary plat anyway, even if you had cancelled the gold supp prior to the upgrade.

• TGLoyalty says:

Likely you will get a supp anyway.

An extra gold supp still triggers the 5k

• Munch says:

I cancelled but still received the supplementary. After speaking to chat I explained and they added the 5k manually.

• Mark says:

Managed to book 6 seats out to Mykonos from stansted and 4 back again (will have to sort the other two later) over may half term! Thanks for the heads up Rob.

• zappomatic says:

Regarding CityFlyer catering, on the JMK route it’s not merely a snack ie. crisps, popcorn or biscuits. Breakfast gets the same bacon roll/cheese and tomato panini/fruit and yogurt as given out on domestics, then after 9.30am it’s a cold meal consisting of a bread roll and butter, salad with chicken/pulled pork/smoked salmon/poached salmon depending on rotation, cheese and biscuits and a chocolate cake.