SriLankan Airlines to increase Heathrow services

We don’t cover SriLankan Airlines much on Head for Points.  We should do more, because SriLankan is a member of the oneworld alliance, allowing to earn and redeem Avios on its flights as well as earn British Airways tier points.  It also appears to have a decent business class product as you can see below.

If you’re looking to travel to Asia over the Summer, SriLankan is adding additional weekly services from Heathrow to Colombo.  Instead of the existing daily flight, you will get:

SriLankan Airlines business class

• 21st July to 31st July – 8 flights per week
  • 1st August to 8th August – 9 flights per week
  • 9th August to 29th August – 10 flights per week

….. before dropping back to daily in September.  I’m not sure how much additional reward availability will be made available but it is worth checking.

If you are planning a Maldives holiday, remember that Colombo is only 85 minutes flying time from Male.

Hilton launches the Signia brand
British Airways orders 18 Boeing 777-9 aircraft - with First Class - to replace the 747 fleet

Comments

1. Cuchlainn says:

OT Bits :
    BAEC account showing 30% bonus for conversion from selected hotel partners to Avios for the month of March.

• Oooh. About time that came back.

• Presumably it’s still better to transfer MR points from Amex direct to Avios rather than transferring from Amex to a hotel and then to Avios. (I ask as I am planning to empty my MR points on my gold card over the weekend prior to churning)

• Genghis says:

Direct 40k MRs = 40k avios
          Indirect 40k MRs = 60k Marriotts = 32.5k avios.

• Here’s hoping Tesco to VS/BA bonus comes back soon…

• Any info on transfers from Marriott or are they sticking to the usual 5k extra on 20k?

2. OT: made a payment by debit card to Amex BAPP yesterday – The amex app/ statement reflect the payment immediately. But today the balance has gone back up by the payment amount, even though the credit available is unaffected – any reason for this? Bounced payment?

• Grant says:

It will likely be something to do with the timing of the payment vs the statement date. Your debit card payment may not have cleared before the statement was generated. Once the payment clears you should find your account is +ve that amount.

• Roberto says:

I had this a few days back.. sorted itself out over the next 48 hours.

• Mr Dee says:

Sometimes happens usually resolves within 3-5 days which is what they say

3. Nigel Williams says:

OT -Just received a letter from Barclaycard (odd, since I’ve already cancelled my card) that they will no longer be accepting balance payments via Curve (or other cards which directly charge to a credit card as a purchase.

Not a massive deal as the Barclaycards are a bit poor at the moment, but those with the Hilton VIsas may be a bit annoyed at the loss of free points through churning…

• Simon says:

I came home to one of these too. After making a payment earlier. Which is sitting in pending…

• Are they saying you can’t pay your Barclaycard via Curve, or that you just can’t use Curve with Barclaycard any more full stop? I have one payment which has bounced back and several stuck in pending over the last few days.

• Simon says:

Can’t pay BC via curve. Gist was that they will no longer accept payments via any method that could be directly or indirectly funded by another credit card.

4. the_real_a says:

If Motto is offering 10k redemption’s in such a location – i will be first to try it out! Clever low cost has a market 🙂

5. Michael says:

1 night in Dallas coming up – can someone recommend somewhere nice to stay with plenty to do?

6. @mkcol says:

Kudos to Tim at Reward Flight Finger https://rewardflightfinder.com/ with the new search for Virgin Atlantic.
    I had an existing Premium booking back from Washington DC but no Upper seats at time of booking. I set up the search and left it to run. Got a notification a couple of days ago of 2 seats coming available, phoned them around 0200 today & got them booked!

• Yep I made an upper for HKG-LHR on VS using RFF too.
      Well worth the £3 a month.

Only problem at the moment is you can’t see your Vs alerts.

• Nice – found it great booking a VS redemption recently being able to browse so easily.

7. Jonny says:

OT: Amex offering 20% bonus when you pay with points. One MR point is worth 0.54p ,rather than 0.45p when you use towards purchases during March. I know not the best use of points, but may be of interest to some.

8. O/T, sorry…i currently overpay my Halifax mortgage by Standing Order…any way that i can pay it via curve/other method to earn some miles? thanks

• Banks generallyinsist mortgage payments come directly from a bank account but I would love to know if anyone has managed to get around this! I don’t know if they would accept a lump sum overpayment on a debit card – I am retiring next year so will enquire about this is no-one finds out in the meantime.

• Halifax do accept lump sum payments via debit card, but only when paying over the phone, however they specifically say you can’t use a debit card starting with a 5… hence my question of any way around this 🙂

• Jimbob says:

You would have to think of ways to indirectly send money from a credit card to your current account, and pay mortgage from there.

It’s possible, but you run the risk of the intermediary of closing you down for money laundering (cough….paypal…cough)

• yeah, i do have PayPal but don’t use it a great deal and know they are a pita to deal with…i also want to remortgage early next year so don’t want to do anything to muck that up as that is obviously way more important than earning a couple of miles but just hoping there may be an easy way round it 🙂

• Shoestring says:

A lot of us don’t even go there because we’re not that stupid…there are bigger fish to fry, easier ways to make a few quid than ruining things that matter more…

• Mark2 says:

could you not have the standing order coming out of Revolut, which is funded from other cards?

• I don’t have a revolution card so perhaps i should look into one, but based on my reply to the above, do they start with a 5?

9. OT Amex Q: BA Black card applied for last year, 241 gained> downgraded to BA Blue card but now nearly at 10k spend again. Can I re-apply (upgrade) for black BA card again and get 241 voucher ?
    cheers!

• Chris says:

Yes.just done this myself

• Great! Thanks for the speedy reply Chris!

• oh also Forgot to ask, do you know if this has to be done over the phone or can I get my wife to refer me for some extra points and apply online?

• If you are in a new card year, yes

• Hi Rob thanks for the reply. This is year two, first year was black card, second year (current) blue. I’m assuming your reply was a ‘yes’ to the referral bonus?

10. mine starts: 45