Bits: BA’s latest heritage livery launched, Marriott’s exclusive Angela Hartnett meal, Barclaycard blocking payments on Curve

News in brief:

British Airways new heritage livery launches today

British Airways is launching the 2nd of its four heritage liveries today.  Following the critical success of the BOAC repaint on a Boeing 747, the new aircraft will feature the British European Airways livery used between 1959 and 1968.

I am in Heathrow today heading to the ITB travel show in Berlin, so I am going to make a diversion to the hanger and check out this repainted aircraft.  The launch was touch and go until yesterday because, amusingly, BA was struggling to get a landing slot at Heathrow.  I am guessing that they managed to get one of the few infrastructure slots available each day which are used for VIP and ad hoc aircraft movements.

Keep an eye on our Instagram feed and I will try to post a couple of pictures during the morning.

Next up will be a Boeing 747 in what is known as the Landor livery, used from 1984 to 1997.  It is going back onto a 747 which flew in it originally.

Join Angela Hartnett for an exclusive meal with Marriott Bonvoy

Following the success of the Clare Smyth event at Core last year (see photo below, my wife and I have our backs to the camera), Marriott Bonvoy is running an exclusive dinner with Angela Hartnett at Murano on 8th April.

There is a pre-meal cocktails and canape reception with Angela followed by a three course meal, with each course paired with a different wine.  You receive a signed cookbook to take home.

Packages are being auctioned, with a minimum bid of 30,000 points for two people.  You can bid here.

There are also packages including a night at the JW Marriott on Park Lane which you can bid for here.

Angela Hartnett Marriott Bonvoy dinner

Barclaycard blocking statement payments via Curve or ewallets

If you have a credit card issued by Barclaycard, which would include the ‘closed to new applicants’ Hilton Honors card, you should have received a letter last week.

Barclays is now stopping you paying your credit card bill with Curve or any other ewallet which can be loaded from a credit card.

On one hand, this makes sense.  Letting you pay off your credit card with money which potentially comes from another credit card is not sensible.  On the other hand, why should Barclaycard care?  It isn’t paying a premium to accept Curve or any other ewallet after all.

Barclaycard is the only card company to do this so far but it is possible that others will follow suit.  It is worth noting that you are not meant to use Curve to pay off credit cards although they are rarely blocked.

What are the best credit card sign-up deals for March? - plus news round-up and the first Avios SME card
This is what you get when you redeem Marriott points for a VIP Manchester United package

IHG

Comments

1. Alex W says:

First rule of fight club…

• What, Creation? They allow loan overpayments with all credit cards except Amex, not sure how financially responsible that is but it’s certainly their official policy.

2. OT as bits, I’ve got a search on my credit file just popped up from Amex called ‘Anti-money Laundering’. Never seen it before so should I be worried?*

• the_real_a says:

Standard check to make sure your name is are still at your address… no impact to your credit. Quite normal.

• Genghis says:

Standard soft search.

• Thanks guys, taken a load off. Haven’t had one of these searches for many a year and thought it may have something to do with my card details being stolen.

3. AndyF says:

OT: A couple of weeks ago a website was mentioned, that could search though Hilton honours availability throughout the world on selected dates. Does anyone remember this or have the link?

4. Michael says:

OT: Has Marriot Bonvoy always been a Amex MR partner?

5. OT: I transferred 120k Bonvoy points to BA on Friday. 65k avios in BA today confirming that the 15k Bonvoy bonus (5k avios bonus) still attracts the 30% transfer bonus in the same way as old SPG days. Oddly, it posted as 52k and 13k on BAEC.

• Colin JE says:

That’s worrying. I transferred 6k points to BA beginning of Feb and still not appeared. When I queried it Marriot said it could take up to 6 weeks.
      Should I be worried?

• Shoestring says:

yes – should be pretty quick normally, my last transfer was similar to BJ’s ie a couple of days

these CS staff do like to kick the can down the road, ‘wait 6 weeks, wait 3 months’ etc, not sure if it’s pure laziness or a policy of hoping some people will forget to chase up later…

6. Marriott Peak/Off-peak pricing:
    Does anyone know when this is due to start?
    Called the travel reps in UK today, but they had no clue – said something about “soon”, “maybe some hotels started it already” – but I checked 4 hotels and saw only the standard pricing?

• I think it’s officially tomorrow, but if they can hold off till the end of April I would be very happy!

7. Where are the rules for SPG amex free night certificate written? Amex website doesn’t mention restriction on categories.. I thought it was only valid up to 25k/night hotels.

• Grant says:

That’s my understanding too, but that is based on what I’ve read here rather than anything from Amex / Bonvoy.

• Mr Dee says:

You can use it for any hotel unto 25k point which would probably exclude certain categories but no issue for any up to 25k points

• Where does it actually say that though?

• Mr Dee says:

I have used 2 and the voucher literally says use for a redemption for up to 25k points? What are you trying to redeem?

• I haven’t earnt the voucher yet so cannot see the wording on the voucher. But the limitations *have* to be stated somewhere else. Amex website just says free night voucher, which without further clarification implies free night anywhere.

I’m sure I’m missing the T&Cs cos Amex cannot expect you to spend £25k without understanding the quite significant limitation, or expect everyone to know because HfP says so!

8. Grant says:

Is anyone prepared to divulge how many times they are recyling initial credit card spend with the use of Curve / Revolut et al?

• First rule…..

• Shoestring says:

And that’s why Curve used as a debit card with free transactions to pay off credit card bills (when Curve *isn’t* a real debit card if the card behind it is a credit card – simples!) – has a very short life expectancy 🙂

• Mr Dee says:

Agree difficult to explain how you can spend so much on your cards if your salary doesn’t match which is now often recorded on the credit files and questioned by some lenders

• Grant says:

That was funny the first couple of times

• You must be a newbie, we don’t do things like that here on HFP 🙁

• Genghis says:

How vulgar

• Grant says:

Lol – I’ve been around long enough to know that a lot of us do it. Just wondered whether anyone was brave enough to admit the scale to which they do it personally given the relative anonymity offered. Seems they aren’t.

• Graham Walsh says:

Did it got a few months and got bored of the stupid £200 per transaction limit.

9. Is Barclaycard now treating Curve Atm as cash advance or is this even still possible ?

• Don’t believe so.

• Andrew L says:

No. I withdrew £250 from my HH Barclays credit card a few weeks ago using my Curve card and, as always, was treated as a purchase by Barclays.

• Shoestring says:

a few weeks ago is centuries ago – it’s now all changing very quickly as banks & other credit card providers realise (belatedly) that transactions through Curve are exposing them to unacceptable risk & the least they should do is bill them as cash advances

• Andrew L says:

I can assure you that the only thing that has changed with Barclays is that they won’t allow you to pay your credit card bill with Curve anymore, which just eliminates all the idiots that are totally abusing the system whom will ruin it for everyone if they are allowed to continue taking the mickey.

• Shoestring says:

There’s no such thing as ‘abusing the system’.

Either a process/ transactions is allowable under the bank/ credit card provider’s systems – or it’s not.

There’s no ‘taking the Mickey’.

There is a bank or credit card provider failing to recognise that another credit card payment #1 is using it to pay off credit/ charge card #2.

So it’s a failure not at Curve but at Barclays or whatever. Barclays is liable for the repercussions or the falsehoods etc, that’s hopefully what Barclays have realised & that’s hopefully why they’re stopping it.

Why would a responsible bank willingly allow customers to harm themselves with wrong/ misguided credit movements? Paying off credit card A with credit card B falls into this category.

10. Will do a test tmw for £50 atm withdrawal .

11. Nick_C says:

I tried to withdraw cash on my Curve card today at a Barclays ATM, inside a Barclays branch. The card was refused. Message was something like “invalid card type”

I don’t know if this is something new to Barclays or not. I usually use a Lloyds ATM, but tried Barclays because of a queue at Lloyds. After trying both ATMs inside Barclays, I went over to Halifax where my Curve card worked fine.

Maybe all this is a red herring – are the Barclay’s cash machines inside the branches for Barclays customers only?

• Andrew says:

You should be able to use any card with the Visa, MasterCard or Link logo (plus others) at a Barclays machine, whether that be inside or outdoors, unless you tried to use a deposit machine by mistake.

Lloyds, Halifax & BoS brand all run on the same platform.

12. Jeferson Amend says:

Can I pay AMEX bills with Curve from another CC? Does anybody know if AMEX accept it?

13. Just out of curiosity – is Landor scheme named after the branding agency of the same name which, inter alia, helped to devise new branding and colour schemes for airlines? Or is it more of the “wag the dog” situation?

14. Roger says:

With Apple offer (£50 off £500), is it a good deal to trade iPhone 7(~225) and get iPhone XR?
    This takes the price of XR above £500 and triggers offer.
    Just asking-

15. Re. Barclays blocking curve – is this something to with trying to limit credit risk. Ie if my customers are using credit cards to pay off other credit cards, probability of default across the whole population of card holders is likely to be higher, so a good idea to block it? Just a thought.