The British Airways ‘Landor’ 747 takes off

The third repainted aircraft celebrating BA’s 100th anniversary took to the skies yesterday.

A Boeing 747 has been repainted in what is known as the ‘Landor’ livery (named after the firm that designed it) used between 1984 and 1997.

British Airways boeing 747 Landor livery

This aircraft originally had this livery when it entered service, and has been given back its original name – ‘City of Swansea’ – for the occasion.

British Airways boeing 747 Landor livery

It landed at Heathrow yesterday morning from the paint shop in Ireland and was immediately sent off to Miami.  It will retain the paint scheme until the aircraft is retired in 2023.

British Airways boeing 747 Landor livery

I have scattered a few pictures throughout the rest of this article.  There is one further repainted aircraft to come, which will feature the Negus design.  This was used immediately before Landor and has some similarities to it.

British Airways boeing 747 Landor livery

'Soft launch' of British Airways short-haul wi-fi now live
Why should you book with BA Holidays in the new BA sale?

Comments

1. John G says:

I saw the Landor 747 parked up at T3 yesterday and had to double take when I first saw it. Brings back so many happy memories of when flying was that bit more special. The aircraft looked stunning in the flesh and really stood out next to the bland EK A380!

2. OT: Sadly an Ethiopian Airlines aircraft has just crashed en route from Addis Ababa to Nairobi. Reports suggest it was a 737 MAX, if true I wish they would ground this airrcraft, too many incidents for my liking.

• Andrew M says:

• Very sad but it’s important not to jump to conclusions, both accidents were in areas of the world where the safety record is less than ideal. What will help with this investigation is that the crash site is on land where recovery of the FDR (Flight Data Recorder) and CVR (Cockpit Voice Recorder) should be very straightforward. However, if there is a connection between this accident and the Max’s Manoeuvring Characteristics Augmentation System (MCAS) then there will be some serious consequences for Boeing. Lots of what-ifs until the initial investigation is complete and the above is entirely speculation on my part.

RIP to all those onboard.

• It is not a case of jumping to conclusions, it is a case of reaching conclusions without putting 150+ people at risk on every flight.

• Mr Dee says:

Agree will not be flying on a 737 MAX anytime in the near future

• I agree completely, if it is MCAS related then revoke the approval.

Just to add into the mix the US Embassy in Ethiopia has on their website: ‘U.S. Government travelers may arrive or depart from Bole International Airport on Sunday, March 10.’

At the moment we just don’t know.

• Don’t Ryanair fly 737 MAX?

• I think they’ve had the first delivery but they are not in service yet.

• Lady London says:

I do recall commenting that I was not going to fly excellent Ethopian deals about two years ago on this site, because I just could not get out of my head the recollection of news coverage showing smoking aircraft on runway that was Ethopian. I accept that even in the case of the tragic Malaysian incidents, these are not the fault of the airline necessarily. I just have a long memory though.

Very sorry for the passengers on the plane today. But I won’t be flying Ethiopian, nor Malaysian, nor certain other airlines, at any time in the future no matter how good the deal.

• Shoestring says:

@Lady London – bit unfair on Malaysian, not a lot they can do about (1) the Russian surface-to-air missile (and plenty of other airlines were also overflying Ukraine at the time, considering it safe) or (2) maverick pilot with mental illness who commits ‘suicide with 300 unwilling mates’.

• Thomas Howard says:

How many accidents at take off, when the aircraft is pitching up and MCAS might be required, need to occur before you’d suspend the airworthiness certificate?

• Alex W says:

Way too early to jump to conclusions here.

• Thomas Howard says:

I’d usually agree but the plane has known design flaw – oversized engines that effect that stability of the aircraft. They’ve tried to overcome this with MCAS and it looks like the solution hasn’t worked as we’ve had two very similar fatal incidents in less than 6 months.

• Since MCAS isn’t operative with flaps extended, it isn’t possible for it to activate on take off

Random Guy on Internet is not the authority on causes of aircraft crashes, least of all hours after it happens. There are a lot of 737MAX out there, incidents involving two of them are extremely sad but not necessarily related.

• How many accidents involving MCAS do you think it took before every pilot on earth was aware of it?

My guess: 1

3. Waddle says:

Sunday OT:
    Anyone heard any more news regarding the new Centurion Lounge at LHR T3? Have a trip in May wondering if I will have any options in addition to No1 & Aspire.

4. Joseph Heenan says:

Does the headforpoints code get you 250 extra avios on the £199 capitalontap card too? The £199 option looks rather good I have to say. (why do capitalontap not junk mail me about that card instead of the continual postal junk mail about the uninteresting card…!)

5. The old BA livery looks good, I like how they went all retro inside too with a really old business class product.

6. Benylin says:

OT: looking to open an ISA / Share dealing account, any recommendations? Looking for low transaction costs, and any points benefits / Curve useage?

• Doug M says:

Transaction costs fund the points deals. If you want low cost Halifax or iWeb. If you’re serious about share dealing/ISA accounts then performance of the investments should interest you far more than some points.

• Wait until Wednesday ….

7. Mr Dee says:

OT: Noticed 500 ihg points if you decline housekeeping when staying for 2 or more nights, on their website if you search for it

• TGLoyalty says:

Only at participating hotels.

SPG had the same deal but far more widely publicised as green choice don’t know about bonvoy now

• RussellH says:

And SPG much more generous too. 500 SPG points per night at a Sheraton 18 months ago cf. 500 IHG at a Crowne Plaza two weeks ago.

• Plus for Marriott only seems to be in the USA

8. Shoestring says:

How dare BA claim it’s their 100th anniversary when they were only formed in 1974!

Fake news. Outrageous.

9. OT need some maths help on my options of moving Amex points to krisflyer or marriott
    I have 79k to move, and will have 33k in marriott by the end of the month,
    My question is if I move to marriott and then to krisflyer in the future (once I figure out whether I really want to use it on flights or bonvoy hotels) would I still lose out on the ratio of points to krisflyer, even with the 5k bonus when moving 20k to airlines?
    Thanks

• Shoestring says:

Simple answer without me bothering to log in to Bonvoy to check the figures is that it will always be better to transfer direct MR points—>whatever

you can ignore the 5K Bonvoy bonus, it still won’t be better than transferring direct Amex—>Krisflyer

• Thanks,
        Currently working out the best uses of krisflyer to see if it’s worth me moving there or saving up for hotel stays.
        Any reccommendations appreciated

• Genghis says:

Going direct (along with moving your Marriotts):
      79k MR -> 79k KF
      + 33k Marriott -> 11k KF
      = 90k KF

Going indirect:
      79k MR -> 118.5k Marriotts
      + 33k = 151.5k Marriotts
      = 60.5k KF

In short, going indirect you lose value but keep optionality

• TGLoyalty says:

33% hit for flexibility. Whatever way it’s calculated even more if you’d be eligible for an IDC and hit the $ spend as c30% bonus on your MR to then move direct to krisflyer.

Hard expiry of 3 years from transfer on krisflyer so have to be sure I guess.

• TGLoyalty says:

Though I do vaule MR highly for hotel stays find flight can be easier to come by at discount prices than hotels at peak dates.

• Thanks, also opportunity to move OH 33k spg and 22k MR
        Will look at some routes for redemption, last night couldn’t get IST-MAL to show up, that would be a really good reception for us

10. Ethiopian is a decent airline with a very good safety record so the second disaster involving a 737max in months is very worrying.

11. O/T do all A320s from LGW have the bulk head removed now from row 1? Trying to decide which seats to pre-select in CE for our flight on Wednesday.

• No the ex BMI 320’s still have the bulkhead in front of 1AC 1DF. The other config you’re referring to shows on the seat map as 1AC being an exit row on manage my booking. Those seats are right by the door without any separation between you and the crew facing you on take off and landing. There’s no 1DF on those planes. Seats 2DF being the first row on the other side of plane do have a bulkhead however so that’s the easiest way to tell what type of plane you’re on.

• Thanks. I’m on the latter according to the seat plan in MMB. Selected those anyway for the extra leg room for the husband.