Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

Is Hotels.com gearing up to launch a UK reward credit card?

We have mentioned before that Hotels.com appears to be planning a UK credit card.

Plans seem to be progressing, with a job ad currently running for a Senior Marketing Manager to drive the project.  See here.

There is no clue about how the card may work.  I am not very enthusiastic because I struggle to see how you can integrate Hotels.com Rewards (a free night for every 10 nights you stay, based on the average price paid) and credit card spending.

hotels.com launching a UK credit card

It may end up as something very bland – perhaps 0.5% of total spend returned as Hotels.com credit, with a higher level of 2% or so for spending at Hotels.com itself.  That said, if the company felt it could offer something higher than 0.5% back – which is the current benchmark for rewards on free cashback and shopping voucher credit cards – I would get interested.

The job ad also says that the card “leverages a world-class rewards program” so perhaps there will be a way to earn free night credits from your spending.  Let’s see.

PS.  You may find this April 2020 article on proposed changes to Hotels.com Rewards worth a read

Comments (101)

• Mark says:

On the somewhat OT subject of Amex churn and referral, if I receive a link for an Amex gold, but sign up to the SPG/Bonvoy card, does a) the referrer get the referral bonus and b) do I get the extra 3,000 points for using a referral? (Referrer is Amex gold, not plat.)
    Thanks,

• Simon says:

On the subject of Amex referrals, if I was referred for BAPP when already having BA free card (appreciate that BAPP bonus unavailable this time), does the referrer (from Plat) still get 18K if I get approved for this effective upgrade?

• Alex D says:

OT; Not sure if everyone would have been it but BA has realeased a few teaser pictures of the new BA Club World seat on social media. Instagram seems to have the most detail(which is still very little) but it looks like very good quality

• Rob says:

Might be, might not be …. 🙂

• Dan says:

Pics appear consistent with Rob’s theory that it will be the new Rockwell Collins ‘Elements’ seat — aka Super Diamond with a door on it.

• Munch says:

OT Looking to book a Hilton stay through a Tesco voucher. Do I still receive points for the stay, including the current 2000 points / stay bonus? Will the hotel recognise my status with free breakfast etc.

• Rob says:

Yes, my understanding is that they are treated as standard stays and you get status benefits (you are booking direct with Hilton after all).

• Graham Walsh says:

Should be fine, just another card from the list of available cards via the referral link

• Graham Walsh says:

OT Re the Virgin Money Life Insurance offer that I took out last summer, points still not awarded. Called them up today as its 2 weeks over since the 6 months + 60 days and they are going to contact the marketing dept to chase it up. He could see that I used the correct code when taking the policy out. I know others reported that the points appear back when you took the policy out. Nothing in my VS account.

• Benylin says:

OT: If you trigger the 2-for-1 / upgrade via Virgin credit card spend (20k on free card), is this the line item I should see on my Flying Club Statement: “VIRGIN ATLANTIC REWARD CREDIT CARD – REWARD QUALIFICATION”?

Also can you use th voucher online or over phone only?