Hotels.com gearing up to launch a UK credit card

We have mentioned before that Hotels.com appears to be planning a UK credit card.

Plans seem to be progressing, with a job ad currently running for a Senior Marketing Manager to drive the project.  See here.

There is no clue about how the card may work.  I am not very enthusiastic because I struggle to see how you can integrate Hotels.com Rewards (a free night for every 10 nights you stay, based on the average price paid) and credit card spending.

hotels.com launching a UK credit card

It may end up as something very bland – perhaps 0.5% of total spend returned as Hotels.com credit, with a higher level of 2% or so for spending at Hotels.com itself.  That said, if the company felt it could offer something higher than 0.5% back – which is the current benchmark for rewards on free cashback and shopping voucher credit cards – I would get interested.

The job ad also says that the card “leverages a world-class rewards program” so perhaps there will be a way to earn free night credits from your spending.  Let’s see.

KLM scraps duty free sales
Get up to 50,000 Flying Club miles with Virgin Money International Money Transfer!

Comments

1. Soloflyer1977 says:

OT-. I’m looking to get from DUB to NYC in early September for my little brother’s wedding. It will be me and other brother heading over. Is there any trick in getting 2 business class seats with either AA or EI (both fly direct and I have a decent amount of avios) . No reward availability showing yet with EI on avios site (apart from economy). Cheers

• The Original Nick says:

You may have missed the reward seats. Whenever I’ve managed to get the seats in Business with EI I’ve got them 11 months before flying. Have you looked at flying DUB-BOS ? then it’s an easy Amtrak ride down to NYC. Or spend a night in Boston as it’s really nice.

• IMHO, it’s not worth connecting plane to train for such a short flight. Just fly Y, preferably direct. Assuming the 7M8 issues are resolved, even a cheap DUB-SWF would be better; the bus or rental car from SWF would be far less hassle.

2. The Original Nick says:

OT: Can anyone help out please with any discount codes, websites etc for a paid visit to either lounge at T5? (Premium Plaza or Aspire?)

• Use on of the Dragonpass employee / trade group codes we’ve discussed (eg the Addison Lee taxi users code) and buy a one-off Dragonpass voucher to use at Plaza Premium. Search HFP for Dragonpass.

• The Original Nick says:

Thanks Rob. Will get those photo’s over to you over the weekend.

3. O/T: offer on my HSBC Visa card for 10% off at Morrisons – just like the amex offer that ran in December. This one only valid for 1 time use but up to £100 cash back (so £1000 spend). Will be heading down to local and buying £1000 worth of gift cards as I’ve run out from December’s amex offer!

• Shoestring says:

Only £30 c/b on my wife’s Halifax cards with Morrisons

• Suspect it’s just standard terms. GCs have always tracked with amex. I see no reason why this deal will be any different given it’s VISA running it. Will be doing a purchase of £1000 GCs tomorrow

• Shoestring says:

as far as till staff are concerned, you’re just buying £1000 of giftcards, and at HSBC/ Halifax end, all they see is generic spend at Morrisons

• Genghis says:

It should work. Worked at Waitrose buying JL GCs with HSBC earlier in the year.

• Kevin C says:

I signed uo for HSBC offers in Feb. Yet to have an offer.

• 10% every time with NatWest rewards at Morrison’s for the next 10 days

4. Drolma-la says:

Maybe the Hotels.com card will be like the US Capitol One Venture Rewards card which offers 10x Rewards Miles on Hotels.com stays.

5. OT: BA flight cancelled to Istanbul on 5th April as they make the move to the new airport. Had to rebook two days earlier and kids will need to meet school. Booked using miles so BA saying no compensation for extra hotel cost. Is that right? Taxes were paid using a Platinum supplementary card. Would Amex compensate? Have a long haul flight from Istanbul so had to go earlier to be safe.

• *sorry miss school not meet

• the_real_a says:

Yes they would not be able to account for a points transaction, so you are effectively asking them to reimburse you the cash equivalent to the points which i dont think anyone would do (your loss is points not cash). Would have been better to pay cash in this instance, maybe its not too late to do that?

• Shoestring says:

ie you’re all flying 2 days earlier & there’s therefore extra hotel cost

no, there’s no duty of care or obligation on BA to pay for the extra 2 nights in the hotel – Amex won’t step in, either

you could have refused the earlier flight but not much good to you if you ended up missing days of holiday

it’s a tough one on you

6. On the somewhat OT subject of Amex churn and referral, if I receive a link for an Amex gold, but sign up to the SPG/Bonvoy card, does a) the referrer get the referral bonus and b) do I get the extra 3,000 points for using a referral? (Referrer is Amex gold, not plat.)
    Thanks,

• On the subject of Amex referrals, if I was referred for BAPP when already having BA free card (appreciate that BAPP bonus unavailable this time), does the referrer (from Plat) still get 18K if I get approved for this effective upgrade?

7. Alex D says:

OT; Not sure if everyone would have been it but BA has realeased a few teaser pictures of the new BA Club World seat on social media. Instagram seems to have the most detail(which is still very little) but it looks like very good quality

• Might be, might not be …. 🙂

• Pics appear consistent with Rob’s theory that it will be the new Rockwell Collins ‘Elements’ seat — aka Super Diamond with a door on it.

8. OT Looking to book a Hilton stay through a Tesco voucher. Do I still receive points for the stay, including the current 2000 points / stay bonus? Will the hotel recognise my status with free breakfast etc.

• Yes, my understanding is that they are treated as standard stays and you get status benefits (you are booking direct with Hilton after all).

9. Should be fine, just another card from the list of available cards via the referral link

10. OT Re the Virgin Money Life Insurance offer that I took out last summer, points still not awarded. Called them up today as its 2 weeks over since the 6 months + 60 days and they are going to contact the marketing dept to chase it up. He could see that I used the correct code when taking the policy out. I know others reported that the points appear back when you took the policy out. Nothing in my VS account.

11. Benylin says:

OT: If you trigger the 2-for-1 / upgrade via Virgin credit card spend (20k on free card), is this the line item I should see on my Flying Club Statement: “VIRGIN ATLANTIC REWARD CREDIT CARD – REWARD QUALIFICATION”?

Also can you use th voucher online or over phone only?