Bits: final British Airways retro livery revealed, Hotels.com credit card in the pipeline, KLM scraps duty free

News in brief:

British Airways reveals its final retro livery

The 4th and final British Airways aircraft to be repainted as part of the 100th birthday celebrations is currently in the Dublin paint shop.

A Boeing 747 is getting the ‘Negus’ livery, which was the first one used by the modern-day BA after the merger of BOAC and BEA in 1974.  It will retain the livery until the aircraft is retired in 2022.

British Airways Negus livery

Hotels.com gearing up to launch a UK credit card

We have mentioned before that Hotels.com appears to be planning a UK credit card.

Plans seem to be progressing, with a job ad currently running for a Senior Marketing Manager to drive the project.  See here.

There is no clue about how the card may work.  I am not very enthusiastic because I struggle to see how you can integrate Hotels.com Rewards (a free night for every 10 nights you stay, based on the average price paid) and credit card spending.

It may end up as something very bland – perhaps 0.5% of total spend returned as Hotels.com credit, with a higher level of 2% or so for spending at Hotels.com itself.  That said, if the company felt it could offer something higher than 0.5% back – which is the current benchmark for rewards on free cashback and shopping voucher credit cards – I would get interested.

The job ad also says that the card “leverages a world-class rewards program” so perhaps there will be a way to earn free night credits from your spending.  Let’s see.

KLM drops duty free

KLM drops duty free

Dutch airline KLM has announced that it is dropping inflight duty free sales.

The service will be suspended on European flights in July and on long-haul flights from next January.

British Airways has already stopped duty free sales on European flights using its new or refurbished short haul aircraft, since there was no space in the galley for storage.  It continues on long-haul although whether it justifies the cost of carrying the trolley must be debatable.

The pros and cons of using BA household accounts - Avios Redemption University - Lesson 5
Get up to 50,000 Flying Club miles with Virgin Money International Money Transfer!

IHG

Comments

1. My partner and I are off to plane-spotting near Heathrow tomorrow. Perhaps, we’ll see some of the repaired aircraft landing or taking off

2. OT how long do Amex spg points take to move over, also should I pay the balance first for the points to move and then cancel or wait for them to move, call to cancel and pay balance?
    Thanks

• I always wait for the points to move, then cancel after first making sure that I owe more than the annual charge to be refunded.

• Alex W says:

I thought you had to have a zero balance before you could cancel. I’ve always had to go on chat and ask for a refund of the fee balance. Would be easier if you don’t need to do that!

• I have just paid c.£1750 balance on an account I closed a month ago.
          The balance of the account is irrelevant when you close it.

• I also change statement to post as they are no longer accessible when the account is closed.

• Thank Mark, I too was unaware this was possible. Good tips 🙂

• Genghis says:

@Mark2 even if an Amex account is closed, statements can be accessed on the app (not website).

• Charlieface says:

Under Consumer Credit Act I think you have to be able to cancel the card and still pay off the balance in the normal fashion. Useful if you carry a balance long-term on a low-rate card and they put up the interest rate.

• When do the points move?
        I don’t really mind paying the balance now or later just whatever is quicker in getting the refund and points posted lol

• I’ve been churning for years but I think it is a bad idea to cancel cards soon after hitting a bonus target to maximise fee refund. The impression I get is that the most important factor for amex on approving a new card is personal history with them, and such behaviour likely reflects badly. For this reason I always give them 3-6 months with a card depending on my churn cycle, even when I have hit the target in the first month. Besides, there are other advantages such as supps, referrals and sometimes excellent amex offers.

• Genghis says:

They move about 4 days before your statement date

• The Original Nick says:

They will send you a cheque or transfer the refund to another of your Amex cards.

• Mr Dee says:

Leave at least £75 for the refund of the card fee on the account, cancel and a few days later the total will adjust that you can pay online.

The points are going to transfer over regardless as they are not holding them for any reason.

• Peter 64K says:

It is best to let the points hit your BA/SPG etc account first before you cancel. Some horror stories here about not doing that and having to chase or never getting.

• TGLoyalty says:

With BA the link is broken but found SPG transferred over when I had a few left the last time I cancelled

Ofcourse things could have changed with Marriott

3. OT looking to cancel my Amex Platinum but not sure where to transfer the MR’s yet. Can anyone please can confirm that if you get the Amex Rewards Credit Card it will ‘keep alive’ the Membership Rewards points after I cancel the Platinum card? Thanks.

4. Alex W says:

OT has anyone managed to upgrade from Amex Green to Plat and got the 20k bonus yet? There must be someone on here who has tried it now!!

• Mr Dee says:

AFAIK there is no such offer

• Shoestring says:

Somebody here was able to use the Plat upgrade invitation page to upgrade Green—>Plat but so far has not confirmed they got the 20K bonus points for initial spend

• Don’t you think the silence maybe speaks for itself?

• Possibly, yes. But given that it comes up fairly regularly in discussion, it’d be nice if those that had reported they were trying it came back to confirm success or otherwise!

5. O/T Marriot Double Points Promotion

I’m trying to register for the above promotion but every time i do it crashes. Rob said before a crash was likely but the the offer being applied appeared in the promotion section of his account. Mine – nothing.

Any tips on how to successfully register?

• Wait a couple days and try, worked for me

• RussellH says:

Have you checked the promaotions page to see if you are, in fact, registered, despite the crash?

This is what happened to me, and IIRC, to Rob and others as well.

• I’ve worked out the issue. My profile was set to earn airline miles rather than Marriot Points (making me ineligible to register).

Swapped it, and now all registered for double points

6. OT we are planning to pay off a Morgage Works (the BTL part of Nationwide’s montage business) shortly it amounts to about 160k. I am not keen to do it without some mileage benefits any suggestions? It doesn’t all need to be paid at once – we are not selling the property. Thanks in advance

• Fat fingers this morning! Mortgage!

• Mr Dee says:

If you mean the actual mortgage itself, I have no idea unless you already have a method for small amounts, but associated fees maybe possible. This is not considering the likes of Bill hop.

• You can pay a lump sum to some mortgages using a credit card. Not sure about Mortgage Works. Just call up and ask. You will get told about the risks of paying debt with debt.

• The Savage Squirrel says:

Payment on CC seems very likely to attract a hefty cash advance fee?

However if they allow debit cards, would the Tesco one work well here?

• ChrisC says:

Some cards don’t give you points on a financial transaction such as this even if they allow the payment.

So check the T&Cs of your card provider.

• If you can pay using a debit card, then Curve is the obvious card which springs to mind. With a Virgin Atlantic Rewards Plus card sitting behind it you’d earn 1.5 miles for every £ you pay off. I tend to find that Virgin give you double the credit limit than Amex do, so should be possible to put a decent chunk on there each month. You’ll be limited by Curve’s 30 day rolling limit which from friends and my own experience is £20k. If your partner gets a Curve card backed by Virgin + too, then you should be able to clear the whole lot in a bit over 4 months, maybe more depending on your credit limit on your Virgin cards.

• I should also have said that you might want to check it with a small test transaction first, just to double check that Virgin treat it as a purchase.

7. Peter 64K says:

Maybe the hotels.com card will be a reward night on the card anniversary to the value of 0.5% of spend.

• Mr Dee says:

As its not cash and its credit towards their business with built in margins they can do better than that IMO

• Genghis says:

That wouldn’t appeal. I already find it hard to match the value of my free nights to the nights I need so as to minimise wastage.

8. Mr Dee says:

The thing is it doesn’t have to be only 0.5% back as credit because hotels.com offers so many deals and promotions that they are probably able to offer a much better rate without it costing them that much.

If they offered even 1% back as credit I would start to considering using it and to them an adjustment of 1% off their prices isn’t going to be anything of concern.

• Rui N. says:

Yeah, if they offer like 1% in hotels.com credit and don’t require a ludicrous amount of spending until you can use that credit (like £5k) I would be very interested in such a card.

9. Charlie T. says:

Not a bad paint job, but it ain’t a patch on the Landor livery.

10. OT We are flying CW to Phoenix but flying out of MAN via LHR. I know that the internal flight is CW from MAN T3. I also know that MAN T3 security can be a nightmare. Does anyone know if CE from MAN includes fast track through security? If so is it shown on the boarding pass or do T3 security just accept all CE/CW tickets through fast track?

• Peter 64K says:
      • Nick_C says:

“Fast Track security at London airports” – and that is misleading as there is none at City (unless you pay for the private lounge). I’ve only flown from LCY once, and security was an undignified scrum.

• CE from MAN (and Sapphire/Emerald in ET) DOES include fast track security. It’s coded into the barcode rather than printed on the BP – BA only prints the words at airports where it has to be checked manually.

I’m BA Silver and fly often from MAN, always using fast track security with no issue.

Do note however that you’re not exempt from the very officious security procedures there so ensure you declare absolutely EVERYTHING in your cabin bag that might cause a problem. This includes untangling your charging cables and removing inhalers, etc. It’s only fast track into security, not fast track for secondary search.

• That’s a joke. I was at AMS in Thu and you don’t need to empty your bags now – liquids, PC all stay in.

• ChrisC says:

That’s because they have some spiffy new scanners.

It really is more like pre check now with those.

• I noticed that last month, so much easier.

• Spurs Debs says:

I went thru AMS a few weeks ago and didn’t have to empty liquids bag but still got pulled over and my liquid was drug tested, fair enough it is liquid morphine and was in its proper 100 mil bottle.
          I thought it quite ironic getting stopped for drugs in Amsterdam.
          Only other place I ever get questioned is LHR no where else in world have they ever drug tested it, including Middle East and Asia.

• Charlieface says:

AMS security onced shouted at me for having a deodorant can in my bag, even though it was scanned at NCL and I didn’t realise it was there. I told them that, they shouted at me again, I told them again, and they just carried on grumbling.

• Also at GVA

• Bonglim says:

Can you use the fancy new lounge at Manchester airport. It will cost you some money but looks very nice. I think it makes security easier, but check with someone who had used it.

• As Nick says, it’s just a separate queue to get into the main security area and they are extremely picky. Last year they made me empty my entire make up bag as they “did not believe” I could have managed not to put any liquids or creams in it (I hadn’t, which they seemed quite disappointed about!) They also had a problem deciding whether hard boiled eggs could be carried in hand luggage 🤦‍♀️

11. OT – Amex Apple

Any update on successful credit from Amex offer of £50 off £500 spend?
    My transaction has now posted but there was no offer redeemed email.

12. Soloflyer1977 says:

OT-. I’m looking to get from DUB to NYC in early September for my little brother’s wedding. It will be me and other brother heading over. Is there any trick in getting 2 business class seats with either AA or EI (both fly direct and I have a decent amount of avios) . No reward availability showing yet with EI on avios site (apart from economy). Cheers

• The Original Nick says:

You may have missed the reward seats. Whenever I’ve managed to get the seats in Business with EI I’ve got them 11 months before flying. Have you looked at flying DUB-BOS ? then it’s an easy Amtrak ride down to NYC. Or spend a night in Boston as it’s really nice.

• IMHO, it’s not worth connecting plane to train for such a short flight. Just fly Y, preferably direct. Assuming the 7M8 issues are resolved, even a cheap DUB-SWF would be better; the bus or rental car from SWF would be far less hassle.

13. The Original Nick says:

OT: Can anyone help out please with any discount codes, websites etc for a paid visit to either lounge at T5? (Premium Plaza or Aspire?)

• Use on of the Dragonpass employee / trade group codes we’ve discussed (eg the Addison Lee taxi users code) and buy a one-off Dragonpass voucher to use at Plaza Premium. Search HFP for Dragonpass.

14. O/T: offer on my HSBC Visa card for 10% off at Morrisons – just like the amex offer that ran in December. This one only valid for 1 time use but up to £100 cash back (so £1000 spend). Will be heading down to local and buying £1000 worth of gift cards as I’ve run out from December’s amex offer!

• Shoestring says:

Only £30 c/b on my wife’s Halifax cards with Morrisons

• Purchases made within Morrisons cafes, petrol stations, garden centres, pharmacies, cash offices, gift cards, flower world, seasonal stores or on dry cleaning are excluded from the offer. To redeem this offer, you will need to make a purchase of £50 or more at Morrisons. Offer valid in-store and online for one purchase. Offer is limited to 1 cashback per Cashback Service account. Only the first eligible transaction made on any card registered to your account during the offer validity period will be eligible for cashback. If you have more than one card registered on your account, you will still only be paid cashback for this offer once, regardless of the number of purchases you make during the offer validity period. Not all Morrisons locations may be monitored by Visa. Offer not valid on purchases made using gift cards. Maximum cashback reward is £100.

Same as Amex GCs excluded, how do they track purchase?!

• Suspect it’s just standard terms. GCs have always tracked with amex. I see no reason why this deal will be any different given it’s VISA running it. Will be doing a purchase of £1000 GCs tomorrow

• Shoestring says:

as far as till staff are concerned, you’re just buying £1000 of giftcards, and at HSBC/ Halifax end, all they see is generic spend at Morrisons

• Genghis says:

It should work. Worked at Waitrose buying JL GCs with HSBC earlier in the year.

• Kevin C says:

I signed uo for HSBC offers in Feb. Yet to have an offer.

• 10% every time with NatWest rewards at Morrison’s for the next 10 days

15. Drolma-la says:

Maybe the Hotels.com card will be like the US Capitol One Venture Rewards card which offers 10x Rewards Miles on Hotels.com stays.