BA sale

Flybe launching London Heathrow to Isle of Man

Flybe has announced a new service from Heathrow to the Isle of Man.

Starting on 21st April and using a 78-seat Bombardier Q400 aircraft, it is initially scheduled to run for the Summer season to 26th October.

It will, apparently, be the first direct flight in nearly 20 years between the two airports.  The service will operate daily, leaving the Isle of Man at 13.50 and landing at Heathrow at 15.10.  The return flight departs at 17.05 and arrives in the Isle of Man at 18.25.

It is not clear where the slot is coming from, but it is presumably a Virgin Atlantic, Delta, Air France or KLM slot which someone else had been slot sitting on their behalf.

Flybe lanches Isle of Man to Heathrow

Flybe will also be flying from the Isle of Man to Birmingham, Liverpool and Manchester this Summer and is currently running a seasonal ski service to Geneva.

Tickets are available now at flybe.com.  I’m not sure if they will be made available for Avios redemption or not, given that the Flybe partnership with Avios ends on 30th April.

You will still earn Avios on cash flights to the Isle of Man as long as both the outbound and return legs are completed by 30th April.

Your best option to maximise your miles when paying is American Express Preferred Rewards Gold.  This offers double points – 2 per £1 – when you when you book flight tickets directly with an airline.  Our review of Amex Gold is here.

Miles & More devaluation coming in May
How to earn Avios when you pre-order currency from Travelex

Comments

1. Flybe slot is coming from the Jet Airways stopping of the DEL route from 31st March. Supposedly Flybe timings match this slot pair but haven’t checked. Slots were transferred from Jet to Delta on 26th March, but Delta may have owned the slot pair all along and loaned them out.

Based on the 80/20 use it or lose it rule theory goes that they needed a quick start up route so IOM was chosen, and would explain the quick lead in time. Classic case of slot sitting so would be surprised if the route sticks in the long term but hopefully it becomes successful enough that it stays.

2. Julian says:

So from Delhi to Douglas then………….

3. Sorry about the rant but didn’t know where to post it. Had a horrible experience with Curve and looking for advice.
    Used my card to withdrawal 200euros in Tenerife but at the final screen when shown the exchange rate I cancelled the transaction. This showed up as being completed on the app so I challenged it with Curve, who said they would put in a dispute with Santander who’s machine it was. Fast forward 8 weeks and nothing from Curve so I emailed them about an update. The very same day they replied that the challenge had failed because Santander had reconciled the machine for that day, and sorry there is nothing more we can do for you.
    All seems strange that I hear nothing for 8 weeks and the same day I ask what’s happening they come back to me and wash their hands with it. So I’m out £175.
    Have I any other route now?

• Alex W says:

Chargeback from the underlying card? I imagine Curve would probably close your account if you did that, though.

I once had the opposite problem, I had paid cash in to an ATM and it went missing. The bank tried to blame the securicor driver for stealing the money. Months later, it turned out they had just never emptied the cash point!!

• I’m convinced a santander machine in Tenerife didn’t warn me about a dispensing fee. So in future I’ll avoid said bank

• TGLoyalty says:

Underlying card is probably your best bet.

But why didn’t you decline their offer to rip you off for conversion to gbp and continue in EUR?

• There didn’t seem a way to do that on the screen. There was also a charge for using the machine which I thought was strange with Santander

• You (nearly) always get charged for using a machine in Spain. When I was living there we couldn’t even use other machines of our own bank fro free, only the ones literally attached to the branch we signed up in.

• the_real_a says:

Take them to the FCA with an ombudsman complaint. Ask for written evidence of the check carried out by Santander in Tenerife, detailed process of how it was carried out, the date and how it was concluded to be “reconciled”.

4. When are we getting a USA flash sale? Seems like there always used to be one in March?

5. Hilton: we have 3 nights booked at KL Doubletree for 10,000 a night. With the sale the price comes to £137 total for 3 nights.

Are we better off using points or cash? Thanks

• Robman says:

Marginally better value using the points, but if you have a big stash of points, use them and save the cash.

• Points. Based on my usual 0.3p Hilton valuation you’d expect to get £90 for 30,000 points and you’re getting £137.

• Qwerty Bertie says:

Your valuation is too low for some usage patterns. I’ve been using Hilton for a fair few single night stays recently on weekdays, in relation to work. I pay cash about half of the time, and points when I can get 0.45p per point or more, which is quite often on single weekdays compared to longer stays.

That said, I also secured a 10 night stay in Barbs which I think was just shy of 0.5p per point.

• New Card says:

Agree with Qwerty Bertie – it depends entirely on your typical use of the points. If your end goal is to do a stay in the Maldives, for example, then you could justify a 1p per point valuation (no doubt someone will argue that only works if you’d be willing to pay the equivalent cash rate).

• Personally I’d go cash at that rate. I value Hilton points at 0.4p but would be looking to get better value out of them – for example upcoming Tokyo stay was 95k/night vs £700! OK so I wouldn’t have paid as much as that but everything else was very pricey and easily over £300 so points way better value.

6. Andrew says:

You’ve hit a wall of nonsense with this one.

There’s no way that a limit has been placed that limits a major hotel’s merchant facility to £99 per transaction! I’ve paid for a £10,000 conference using mine, can you imagine doing 102 transactions to push it though?

Do a “sad face” for the local Brighton Paper…

7. New Card says:

Etihad First Apartment didn’t offer this “take what you want” approach to toiletries when I flew it a few weeks ago. We got a prefilled Acqua de Parma bag.

• happeemonkee says:

This happened to me too a couple of months ago. Looks like another “enhancement” from Etihad

• Actually I forgot they brought in AdeP – this may have replaced the ‘help yourself’ approach. My last Etihad flight was in Business in October and that was AdeP. Haven’t done Etihad First for a year now.

• New Card says:

IIRC it was quite a strange approach. The AdeP bag they gave me only had a few bits in, and seemed oversized for its contents. Then when I took a shower there was a set of sealed AdeP shower toiletries laid out – I think the idea is that you take these after your shower and fill up your bag.

8. TGLoyalty says:

That’s ridiculous nonsense from Hilton Brighton

Is there another way the hotel can compensate you for £60? Free parking? Drinks? Food etc?

9. Louise says:

Wow that’s shocking, something not right here!

10. Scottydogg says:

Good news about IOM to Heathrow , until now we could only Fly to City or Gatwick , and with most BA flights going out of Heathrow , getting a good redemption was tricky
    Just hope Flybe price it right so that the route survives

• I’d certainly want to be doing any connection as a single booking, not sure I would want to rely on FlyBe until we see how things settle down?

• Richard says:

FlyBe will be fine for at least the next 2 years given the financial weight of Delta and Virgin behind them now.

• …. but they are implying big timetable changes from the Winter switchover on 26 October.

• Flight times might mean an overnight stay at LHR if you were planning longhaul, particularly if going west

11. ankomonkey says:

So the Finnair slippers are made from recycled PET bottles. I wonder if they cost as much as the swimming trunks made from the same materials…