This offer is the best we have seen for a while for anyone who wants to buy a large number of Flying Blue miles – 75% is very good by their standards.
The bonus is staggered:
- 40% bonus when you buy 4,000 to 8,000 miles
- 50% bonus when you buy 10,000 to 38,000 miles
- 75% bonus when you buy 40,000 to 100,000 miles
The annual ‘buy miles’ cap depends on your status level – 75,000 miles for Ivory members or unlimited for elite members. The maximum you can buy pre-bonus in this promotion is 100,000 miles.
75,000 miles, the annual cap for a non elite member, + 75% means you are paying €2,062 for 131,250 miles. That is 1.57 Eurocents per mile.
Is that a good deal? Well, Flying Blue is not exactly well regarded amongst European frequent flyer programmes. However it does have regular ‘50% discount’ sales on some routes.
At the end of the day, I don’t imagine anyone except an existing Flying Blue member topping up an account getting excited by this.
The Flying Blue ‘buy miles’ page is here. The offer runs until 10th April.
How to earn Flying Blue miles from UK credit cards (June 2021)
Air France and KLM do not have a UK Flying Blue credit card. However, you can earn Flying Blue miles by converting Membership Rewards points earned from selected UK American Express cards. These are:
- American Express Preferred Rewards Gold (review here, apply here) – sign-up bonus of 20,000 Membership Rewards points converts into 20,000 Flying Blue miles. This card is FREE for your first year and also comes with two free airport lounge passes.
- The Platinum Card from American Express (review here, apply here) – sign-up bonus of 30,000 Membership Rewards points converts into 30,000 Flying Blue miles
- American Express Rewards credit card (review here, apply here) – sign-up bonus of 5,000 Membership Rewards points converts into 5,000 Flying Blue miles. This card is FREE for life.
Membership Rewards points convert at 1:1 into Flying Blue miles which is an attractive rate. The cards above all earn 1 Membership Rewards point per £1 spent on your card, which converts to 1 Flying Blue mile. The Gold card earns double points (2 per £1) on all flights you charge to it.