Marriott’s opens the first luxury branded resort in Cyprus

Marriott has just opened Parklane, billed as ‘the first luxury branded resort in Cyprus’.

Parklane is part of The Luxury Collection brand and is described as:

“Surrounded by 100,000 sqm (25 acres) of landscaped gardens, the resort welcomes guests with a picturesque lane that snakes through a verdant grove of evergreen olive, citrus and palm trees – setting the mood for the serene experience that awaits. Three outdoor and one indoor swimming pool (one filled with seawater and one for adults only) glisten in front of the main building, surrounded by cabanas, waterbeds and lounge areas for outdoor dining and drinks. The perfect seaside gateway is completed with a special all-day facility for children, a luxurious spa area, a vast ballroom, conference facilities, five restaurants, two bars and a 300 meter long sandy beach. The facilities are open throughout the year for work or pleasure to both guests and the general public.”

As a Marriott Bonvoy redemption, it costs 85,000 points per night – or 340,000 points for five nights based on ‘5 for 4’.  Given that cash rates are around €400 in August this is not the greatest deal in the world.  That said, for a 5 night stay, you are roughly at my target redemption value of 0.5p per point.

Parklane resort Cyprus

The hotel allows to you pay a cash supplement on a redemption to upgrade to a bigger or sea view room, although none can take more than three people.

The Parklane website is here if you want to find out more.

How to earn Marriott Bonvoy points via UK credit cards

As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Marriott Bonvoy points from UK credit cards.  Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses!

Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Marriott Bonvoy points.  That page is regularly updated with the latest special offers and will still be accurate even if you are reading this article months after publication.

Mistake fixed or backtracking? Virgin cuts £100 from Upper Class taxes to the USA
Top 10 reasons to get the Virgin Atlantic Reward Plus Mastercard credit card

Comments

1. kt1974 says:

Just to be clear on the lead story here. The Press Gazette cites a source at the FT. BA has said nothing of the sort. The FT is also well known for pushing through eyewatering price increases to its corporate customers. While it is indeed a PR own goal by BA, until I hear otherwise I wouldn’t be surprised if BA just said no to the price increase and this is sour grapes from the FT.

Frankly if you are the sort of BA customer who reads the FT, you should’ve already bought your own, rather than counting on getting one in the lounge/plane.

• ChrisC says:

I’ve seen a few comments in this on other blogs and flyer talk and most of them are just ridiculous with the usual ‘never flying BA again’ plus people who buy the FT anyway complaining about not getting a free copy when they fly …

Perhaps the FT isn’t all that popular these days with BA flyers and why should BA stock it if there are copies regularly left at the end of each day.

2. Crafty says:

The same happened to me and I still achieved the offer without any intervention.

3. Chelseafi says:

O/T sorry know loads already said about the Tesco sim offer. Do you need to wait the 9 days or so until points posted before you do the 2nd sim on the Clubcard same account? Many thanks

• Nope

• Chelseafi says:

Thanks, one other question, I inserted sim, received 3 welcome text message, added Clubcard received text confirmation, then added rocket pack, rcvd text confirmation. The only thing I couldn’t do was make first phone call to activate even though I bought in store with packs no 20p credit. I assume as I’ve received all the text messages all is good? Didn’t anyone else not make an initial call? Thanks again

4. John Caribbean says:

I’ve got the email, but not the credit for a non 3C hotel recently. Thought a refunded transaction might have put me back under.
    Then booked another Hilton to make sure, came up as 3C. However now I note that it (Stockton) isn’t on the list, but transacts as Glasgow, which is…

5. hard to imagine BA will ever admit that they are dropping FT to try and bully them into more favourable coverage !

• ChrisC says:

If BA wanted to ‘bully’ a newspaper / media outlet there are more subtle ways of doing it than this – such as not advertising as much with them for example.

Plus it is still stocking other papers that also run negative BA stories.

Of course the way not to have negative stories run about you is not to cause them in the first place!

BA no longer stocks the Daily Mail but it still and advertises with them

• Not sure I’ve ever seen a BA ad in the FT. So maybe the only leverage that BA had?

6. Waddle says:

OT Amex:
    Is there anything preventing me from downgrading my current Platinum to Green and getting the Business Plat? I understand I will not be getting the sign-up bonus. Are there any pitfalls I need to be aware of?

7. Anyone got a Wheely referral code?

8. Dominic Montgomery says:

The FT is the paper of business.

Quite bizarre to see this absent from business lounges and business class.

9. OT (sorry, but bits…) –
    Will any hotel chain give me credit for two, or preferably three, rooms booked together?
    I will be staying in one (!) of the rooms.
    In the past I’ve used hotels.com in this situation but for a boring reason would prefer to book direct this time.

10. OT Tesco Mobile

IS the sim definitely free if you buy a £20 top up in store at the same time?

at all types of tesco stores?

11. It seem, BritishAirways does not like critisism. In my eyes a NoGo and somehow also a sign of narrow-mindedness. This will not stop me from flying BritishAirways as I really like to fly with them, But I consider buying the FT and read them on board.