Maximise your Avios, air miles and hotel points

The British Airways ‘Upgrade to First’ offer returns for business class ticket holders

British Airways has brought back its regular ‘Upgrade to First’ offer.

Until 31st May, any Club World flight you purchase which is ticketed in semi-flexible R, D, or C class, or a fully flexible J class, will receive a free one-way upgrade to First.

This is subject to availability and requires ‘A class’ cash tickets to still be available for sale in First.

You need to take the outbound flight between now and 28 August 2019, except for Tel Aviv and Delhi where you must fly out between 1st June and 28th August.  You need to complete your travel by 30th August for Heathrow routes and 14th September for Gatwick routes.

British Airways free first class upgrade

Participating destinations are:

All services to the United States, Mexico and Canada on flights operated by American Airlines or British Airways

British Airways services to Abu Dhabi, Abuja, Accra, Bahrain, Barbados, Beijing, Cape Town, Delhi, Dubai, Durban, Grenada, Hong Kong, Jeddah, Johannesburg, Kuala Lumpur, Kuwait, Lagos, Moscow, Nairobi, Port of Spain, Riyadh, Seychelles, Shanghai, St Lucia, Tel Aviv and Tokyo

Full details are on ba.com here.  Note that you can only book this over over the telephone – in the past, some corporate travel agents have also been able to book it.

To maximise your miles when paying, your best bet is the British Airways American Express Premium Plus card which earns double Avios (3 per £1) when you book direct with BA.  You do not get double Avios if you book with the free British Airways American Express card.  Another option is American Express Preferred Rewards Gold which offers double points – 2 per £1 – when you book flight tickets directly with an airline.

Comments (48)

• ADS says:

if you were unlucky enough to get the original 15 avios per GBP Hackett offer (like me) … worth noting that it expired 10 days ago !

• Shoestring says:

Short sleeved?

Well dodgy unless you’re a double amputee.

• KBuffett says:

Personally I find their styles too wild. Big colours, bold prints etc.

• Jim says:

OT:

At the Sheraton in Edinburgh having lunch with the family. When the bill comes can I give them my Bonvoy number and get points or do you need to be staying so you can put it on your room bill?

• KBuffett says:

I’d be interested to know too. I’ve got a big bill coming at the end of my stay at a Marriott property – does spend at the spa and food & beverage earn points?

• Alan says:

Definitely used to work when it was SPG (I used it at that very location, and a few others!). Definitely no harm in trying and contacting Bonvoy CS if nothing posts.

• Jimbob says:

OT – the 2 year expiry of the BAPP 2-1 voucher, does the 2 year expiry relate to the date the flights are booked or the outward leg flown? Thanks ie, could I fly out 2 years and 355 days after I’ve earns the voucher?

• Ed says:

OT – Sorry I know this has been asked before but on the amex gold credit card – do you get any points for adding a second card holder? Thanks.

• Peter K says:

3000 for the first supplementary I believe, if added after (not during) the main application process.

• AspirationalFlyer says:

On a previous trip to Florence, I actually flew to Pisa and took a bus. Quite a long ride, but it meant that I travelled in Club Europe for almost the same piece as economy. I wanted the tier points.

The Pisa lounge is pretty awful too. A bit like sitting in someone’s living room with a few drinks on a table.