Tesco Clubcard dropping Uber

The best use of Tesco Clubcard points at the moment is probably Uber and Uber Eats credit.  At least, I think it is and that is where I have been sending my points for the last 18 months.

Living in London, Uber credit is as good as cash to me.  It makes no sense redeeming £1 of Tesco Clubcard points for 240 Avios when I can get £3 of Uber rides instead.  This would mean I was ‘paying’ 1.25p per Avios if I took miles instead, and I don’t value them anywhere near as highly.

Unfortunately, Tesco and Uber are parting company.

Tesco Clubcard dropping Uber

As you can see on this page of the Tesco website, you need to convert your Clubcard vouchers to Uber by 10th July.  Nearer the time we’ll do another piece on what is best remaining Clubcard deal.

It is ironic that I found out about this literally 10 minutes after leaving a meeting where I had highlighted this as a great example of an ‘added value’ redemption which genuinely made Clubcard, and therefore shopping in Tesco, more attractive.

Top 10 reasons to get the HSBC Premier World Elite Mastercard
You can now book the new 'all suite' Conrad New York Midtown on Hilton points

Comments

1. Hi, completely off point, but I wondered if anyone would have a suggestion for return business flight with BA from JFK back to Heathrow. I have read it is a good idea to eat in the lounge pre flight? Do you just turn up and do this or need to book? And if doing this, what is a good time for the flight so you have time to eat before boarding etc? Does everyone sleep on business? Learner questions 🙂

• A lot of people sleep as it’s quite a short flight. You don’t need to pre-book dinner in the lounge; the recommended 3 hours prior to departure will give you adequate time but you can always turn up earlier if you want to take full advantage.

Once you’re on the flight you get a card to fill in about what time you want to be woken up, so earlier if you want full breakfast or last minute if you just want coffee. Don’t forget it may be lunch time when you land, depending on the time of your flight, so if you like to start the day with breakfast, like I do, have it on the plane!

• Genghis says:

… or head to the arrivals lounge where the breakfast is better than on the plane and maximise your sleep.

• Remembering that the Arrivals lounge closes at about 1400! Just after I arrive.

• Lev441 says:

@mark2 – Heathrow also has a few plaza premium arrivals lounges which are open all day.. I’ve taken advantage of these when landing after ba/virgin arrivals lounges close.. works if you have a priority pass/Amex plat

• +1 .Couldn’t agree more with this. Eat beforehand and breakfast the other end.

• Yes but on an overnight flight from the US breakfast might well be finished by the time you get to the lounge! I completely forgot about this last summer and was faced with the BA curry buffet at T5 when I really wanted bacon rolls, orange juice and coffee. Such a disappointing end to the holiday lol!

• Agreed. I much prefer to eat in the lounge at either end and just go to sleep on board 🙂

• Michael says:

Depends what your plans are like Anna said. You can eat dinner onboard or on the ground, or both! You can also skip breakfast on the flight and eat it in the arrivals lounge when you land, or do both. Depends how much time you have at each end.

JFK-LHR eastbound is quite short so if you want to maximize sleep on the flight, eat dinner in the JFK Lounge and breakfast in the Heathrow Arrivals lounge.

• I got there at 1pm on Sunday and all the hot food was finished…only yogurt and cereal remaning. Kind of lame but was somewhere to wait before my taxi arrived.

• Was in the lounge at JFK last Friday. The food was excellent and much better than on the plane. I would eat a meal in the lounge although you might not want to eat a meal on the plane bearing in mind that they serve the food an hour after take off.

• Spurs Debs says:

Just turn up for pre flight dinning.
      No not everyone sleeps I don’t.
      The lounge at jfk terminal 7 is woeful

• No need to book and would definitely recommend doing this. That way once on board you can just focus on sleep! 🙂

• Graham Walsh says:

I did this recently. JFK to LHR, food in the lounge which was average, boarded plane, said no to dinner (although the menu looked great) and no to breakfast. Woke up before landing so had some good sleep. Landed and went straight for a shower in the BA arrivals lounge, quick bit of breakfast (scrambled egg was awful however) and drove to the office in Reading. Arrived in time for meeting 🙂

2. Thanks Anna, much appreciated!

3. Clubcard points really stack up if you use a Tesco Debit Card. As its an extra point for every £ spent at Tesco. I still have my main account and only use the Tesco Bank for use in Tesco. 2 points per £ converts to 4.8 Avios per £1 spent.

4. Tim Jones says:

Any news on the hotels.com credit card?

5. Jordan D says:

Shame those extra BOM flights are only loaded for the current summer timetable and not into the winter schedule, which would have been *extremely* useful.

6. OT and a rather specific but I attended the Platinum House in Palm Springs a couple of weeks ago and it was superb. Free high end drinks, canapés and some very big DJs preforming. In light of all the recent changes with the Amex Plat this is one of the few things that makes me want to keep the card.

7. The Indian tour we are looking at for next year has changed from Jet Airways to Emirates flying in to Delhi.

8. Can anyone tell me if Tesco uber credits can be used outside of the UK like the USA .

9. Weren’t there a lot of people reporting receiving out of date beer through these offers?

• MSE advertised it as ‘out of date’ beer in the first place, at least in the article I read.

• Relaxo says:

Cant go wrong with 50p per beer. Even if slightly out of date…..if that’s a thing in the first place.

• Sussex Bantam says:

I drank (several) of the out of date beers over the weekend – all good !

• Plus it’s only after best before, not use by (different from a legal and food safety perspective)

• On the previous MSE offer up to half were out of date. My bigger issue was 2 beers + snack were missing. They gave me £4 back despite me not asking for a refund, waiting to make sure Amex don’t take credit back, will be going back to Beer52 if so. Can’t say I’d recommend them based on my experience which this offer.

• I had the same issue. Got £7 refund which I thought would mean that Amex would claw back the £10 offer. I think I got lucky in that the initial transaction and rebate fell in one month statement and the £7 refund fell in to the next month. No sign of Amex clawing back the £10 yet

• I had the same issue. They refunded me £6 over a week ago, and Amex hasn’t taken back the £10 credit so far.

10. OT: 48h flash sale 30% off at Wyndham hotels if that’s any use to anybody.

11. Maxine Chivers says:

Last year I wished to fly to Mumbai one way from England. So we bought a ticket via Istanbul on Turkish Airlines. I loved the comfort and personal screen on their planes. I think we spent less on airport tax than taking British Airways there.

• Umm, if you flew out of a UK airport (except INV) then you would have paid the same tax regardless of the airline. And you would have paid some Turkish taxes too.

• Lady London says:

Correct @John but doubtless what @Maxine is referring to is that British Airways charges to a passenger included a large amount additional to thé base fare which British Airways told the passenger was tax but actually the true government is as you say, the same for all airlines. The rest being not taxvasvdescribed by British Airways, but actually money which British Airways kept for themselves whilst calling it taxes. In the case of British Airways, the extra amount taken seems typically more than what, say, Turkish Airlines would say is taxes for the same route.

If you want to check out some hot modern examples of this then just price up any British Airways fare from UK to USA, say, using a Business Class ticket as an example. Look at what British Airways is calling taxes and charges, mostly called by them just taxes. It’s about £700. In addition to the fare price quoted stated as taxes or taxes etc. Go check government taxes and airport charges that are counted within this figure. You will find IR’s about £200 within that £700 figure British Airways is putting under a taxes heading.

Another extreme case: I returned from the US last Christmas. For that leg British Airways charged so called taxes and charges of approximately £385. As in Rob’s recent article, for the same routing Delta would have charged less than 30usd for all taxes and charges. In other words, just tax and unavoidable airport based charges.

• Shoestring says:

[If you lived in the United States between November 2006 and April 2013, you could be in line for a windfall following the proposed settlement of a class action lawsuit against British Airways over Avios redemptions.

The case – put simply – was that British Airways added surcharges to Avios redemptions in breach of Executive Club terms and conditions. Whilst these were called ‘fuel surcharges’ there was no proof that they bore any relation to changes in the cost of aviation fuel.

For clarity, British Airways has not admitted it was at fault and no court has found otherwise – but the airline is handing over a pile of money to make the case go away.]