British Airways drops Gatwick to Fort Lauderdale

It was obviously never the case that British Airways only launched London Gatwick to Fort Lauderdale in Florida back in 2017 as a spoiler to annoy Norwegian.

This means that it is a total coincidence that, 25 days after Norwegian switched its own Gatwick to Fort Lauderdale service to Miami, British Airways has announced that it is closing the route.

British Airways drops Fort Lauderdale

The last flight will operate on 7th September.

If you were booked onto the Fort Lauderdale route, you can either request a full refund or switch to a Miami, Orlando or Tampa service.

Top 10 reasons to get the British Airways American Express Premium Plus card
UK airport lounge reviewers wanted!

Comments

1. OT – Oh has been given 5,000 avios for not getting any F & B on a recent CE flight from LHR to MAN. We need to make sure we all sit in row 7 from now on because they rarely manage to get this far back during the flight!

• Lady London says:

Was that 5000 each?

• We were all seated in different rows and he was the only one that far back! The food was actually very good, but I would rather have 5,000 avios – the flight is only 45 minutes lol.

• Oh – should read OH, sorry.

• Lady London says:

5000? Well I suppose BA isn’t giving much else these days other than F&B in Club as compared to Y. But almost a profit centre if this could be relied on.

• Shoestring says:

result!

2. OT Do points from an IHG credit card go towards elite status? Not sure if its worth chasing spire elite for a status match with Hilton for diamond ? Or will Hilton status match Ihg platinum elite to diamond?

• Bonus does not but points from spend DO count – so you can get Spire for £37,500 spent on the premium card.

• Hilton have matched IHG Platinum to Diamond in the past (two or three years ago) but I don’t know if they still do or if this is always the case.

3. Froggee says:

OT: anyone else got the email from Curve saying that they are going to extend the free Curve Black trial membership for an unlimited period of time? They must be struggling…

• Yes, ironically on a day I’m having problems with them!

• Yes, I was just about to post here! TBH, this is the least they could do after that massive flop with Amex. I guess, cancelling AXA insurances and potential customer churn proved to be more complicated than just simply let everyone stay on free Black plan for good. I know that many readers here are much more cynical than me but even I thought they were mismanaging the situation pretty badly… So, now they might be on track to repair it

• Is that for existing Legacy Black customers? I haven’t received the email, but it would be nice to be included.

• Froggee says:

I think so – I am legacy black i.e, I paid £50 a month before they brought in the new tiers.

• I got it and I am legscy Black.

• Yes, as Legacy Black were automatically switched to new Black tier as a free trial which was supposed to end nowish (there was another email about it recently)

4. Tracy Regan says:

Just to say thanks to Rob for the info that BA are cancelling the FL route. I got straight on to BA who have rebooked me in business on the Miami flight the same day. I thought this might be more complicated as it was booked with a Lloyds upgrade voucher but the BAEC rebooked me at 6am this morning no problem. Without Hfp I probably wouldn’t even know the BA FLL was cancelled.

• Nathalie says:

I got an email from BA saying that my flight to FLL was cancelled, I haven’t seen anything here until today, so it’s strange that BA didn’t inform you before reading that your flight was cancelled on this post! Anyway BA should have told you that you can rebook your flight either to Miami or Tampa.

• Tracy Regan says:

I agree but I haven’t heard a word from BA only Rob. Anyway I’m rebooked on the Miami flight. Perhaps it was Avios who should have informed me as I booked throughout them but not a word from them either!

5. OT: I have 1597 Accor points with no stays planned. Trying to work out how to earn 403 points (without eRewards – i keep doing surveys then get rejected from them!) so I can round up to 2k and use them for a forthcoming booking…

• Alex W says:

There used to be a way of converting less than 2k to Iberia Avios. Can’t remember how or if it still works!

• Even if you are rejected, they give you some points, so you can get there eventually!

• Lady London says:

I thought there was something about signing up with Hertz from Accor recently that gave a little wodge of pts?

• Accor specific survey site clubopinions.co.uk has some form of bonus for 1st survey completed, you should be able to get pretty close, quickly on that

• I’d recommend e-rewards over Clubopinions as you get a token 25 points for most screened out responses on the former but nothing on the latter.

Plus for me Clubopinions points have stopped posting across to my Accor account. I seldom do these and nothing has come across since last autumn. Been waiting a week so far for support to get back to me.

6. I want to take my 13 year old grandson to the Man U event, but can’t find any information which says if there any age restrictions. Is there any links you can post here to the details page? eg what time it starts and ends, age restrictions, more general details?
    I would hate to get two tickets and have to find another adult to go with me, esp as I am not a footy fan like my grandson who is crazy about it.

7. Hi, can Amex MR be used anyway to fly Vietnam Airlines inside Vietnam ?

8. OT – Will Amex allow me to hold Gold credit and Platinum Charge at the same time? I’ve slowly been edging my way to the annual bonus spend on Gold in between spend on other cards to trigger welcome bonuses and don’t want to miss out on the 10k MR points, but equally I’m yet to do Green > Plat and want to get it done before it disappears!

9. Hi, I am looking for a hotel on the Caribbean which would be fed by a VS flight. Don’t want to spend a fortune so would be pleased to hear of any suggestions. Thanks

• Not quite sure what you mean – have you looked where VS fly to? I imagine if you also look on Virgin holidays it would show which hotels they use for their packages.

• Anna I am looking to use FC points so would just need a hotel on one of the Islands where VS fly direct. Would prefer something recommended if possible

• Peter K says:

If you have Hilton points then there are a few options like Hilton Barbados (which I liked though not the authentic Caribbean vibe).

10. OT: IHG Rewards Credit Card (Premium).
    Has anyone received their free night voucher? My anniversary recently ticked-over and having spent the £10,000 I’m keen to get the voucher and cancel the card (I don’t see the £99 good value for my circumstances).
    However I’ve yet to get a clear answer from Creation on where and when I should expect the voucher to appear? Is it electronic?

• I keep getting rejected at the ‘eligibility’ test unfortunately.

However, I think most IHG vouchers appear in your account – expect this is the same.
      also, my ing vouchers show up nicely in Award Wallet if you have that?

• Genghis says:

Voucher should appear in your IHG acct around month end.

• It tiggers with the next statement after your reach the £10k and will appear in your account.

• Alex W says:

The voucher will appear in your IHG account only after your anniversary statement from Creation. You will be charged the next year’s £99 on the same statement. As long as you don’t use the card after this, you can ring up creation, cancel the card and get the £99 back.

• Right, thank you. The trouble is I have recieved that statement and the £99 annual fee but no voucher. Seems like I need to chase them before I cancel.

11. OT: Any idea when will the VA cards promo come back?

Ran out of Amex Sign up bonuses to claim and pretty much cancelled all of them – so trying to find alternative cards to put my spending on. VA card is the ideal card to go forward but the wait for the promo is killing me!!