BA Sale

Good ‘airport parking and hotel’ deals via little-known IHG link

Most people are aware that – if you need airport parking whilst you are on holiday – it is often cheaper to book a nearby hotel which offers a ‘free parking’ package and stay there the night before.  Companies such as Holiday Extras specialise in arranging these.

IHG, the Holiday Inn / Crowne Plaza group, also has a pan-European ‘Park, Stay & Go’ offer.  It does not always come up when you search local hotels from the main IHG website.  You need to book via this dedicated link.

In the UK, the offer covers pretty much every airport – this is not a London-centric deal by any means.

Holiday Inn Glasgow

As a test, I looked at Glasgow Airport.  I was looking for a hotel stay for one night on Saturday 8th June with up to eight days of car parking included.

The rates offered were:

Holiday Inn Glasgow Airport – £112 non-refundable (cheapest non-refundable room without parking £97)

Holiday Inn Express Glasgow Airport – £136 non-refundable (cheapest non-refundable room without parking £99)

With both of these deals, you do not leave your car at the hotel.  With the Holiday Inn, you drop your car at an offsite car park and are shuttled back to the hotel  With the Holiday Inn Express package, you leave your keys with the hotel and they will store your car offsite and return it to the hotel for collection on the day you come back.

With the Holiday Inn package, your parking effectively costs you £1.88 per day over and above the standard cost of the hotel.

Some of these packages are also via the main ihg.com website.  If you are specifically looking for hotels which offer parking packages, however, it is more convenient to check the ‘Park, Stay & Go’ site here.

PS.  It is also worth looking at JustPark for sneaky parking options near major airportsThis is our last article on JustPark and I will get it updated soon.

Your first look at Istanbul's amazing new airport and the IGA (British Airways) lounge
Last chance for 80% IHG Rewards Club 'buy points' bonus

BA Sale

Comments

1. One thing to note is that the hotel packages are capped at 15 days. The rate varies if you need more than 15 days. The Hilton at Heathrow is £15 a day. The Marriott on Bath Road was £5 a day

• Some hotels are now offering longer stays (21 days) if you go via the main IHG site. If you search for accommodation at the CP at Heathrow (the old one, not the new one) an option for Park, Stay & Go is shown. One of the options is now 21 days. This is new since we last stayed there but a definite improvement.

• Allycat says:

I looked at a dummy booking when I needed 1 night stay and 16 nights parking and it said that additional nights beyond the 15 nights would be charged at the standard daily rate. I assume this means the standard daily parking rate, so I think it would be OK if you just needed one extra night @£15 @LHR. Beyond that it could escalate quickly to make it less economic.

• Allycat says:

* The rate quoted at the Staybridge Suites was £127 for a room for 4 people incl breakfast and 15 nights parking, so £142 for a room plus 16 nights parking. Not bad compared to official LHR parking prices

2. Alex W says:

Doubletree Heathrow has good deals too. You park at the hotel overnight, in the morning you drive to the T2/T3 car park and get the free shuttle to your terminal.

• Here’s an interesting quiz question. Is DT Heathrow the furthest hotel from the airport which has the cheek to put Heathrow in its name? Or are there worse offenders?!

• The couple out Slough way (a Marriott and a Holiday Inn if I remember correctly must be considered worse offenders!

• RussellH says:

Travelodge Heathrow Central is closer to Hounslow than the DT. 7.3km to T5. But I think Holiday Inn Express, London Heathrow – T5 in Slough (where BA put us up for the night last year after their delay caused our missed connection) is the winner, at 7.9km, though the route is very indirect. And the Heathrow / Windsor Marriott is only 200m closer.
        Of course, if using T2/T3 as your reference point, the HIE will be the clear winner.
        [Distances courtesy Google Maps]

• Lady London says:

IHG for T5 HIX that is in Slough amongst other offences.

• Alex W says:

I know you hate the Doubletree Rob but at least it is not ridiculously over priced like the Hilton T4 or T5. The cost saving is well worth the 8 minute drive to the T2 car park.

• I like it as a hotel – my Mum stayed there a couple of years ago and I had a good look around. I also like the fact that it’s on a local High Street with loads of restaurants opposite. It’s just nowhere near Heathrow!

3. Mr Entitled says:

As a test, Glasgow fails to illustrate that it is “often cheaper to book a nearby hotel which offers a ‘free parking’ package and stay there the night before”.

8 day parking starting 8th June at Glasgow is:

£45.99 offsite, self park
    £49.99 offsite, drop keys
    £69.99 short stay, no transfer

Considerably cheaper than booking a hotel just to secure parking.

• Shoestring says:

Wouldn’t that depend how close to flight you book the standalone parking vs hotel + parking? Ie booking standalone parking will pretty much always be cheaper 2 months out – but get to within (say) 1 week of flight, you’ll find standalone parking cost has trebled whereas hotel + parking is probably still the same as before.

• Mr Entitled says:

Glasgow airport Holiday Inn, 1 night 4th May plus 8 days parking starts at £95.

8 day parking via Holiday Extras, starting 4th May. Prices unchanged from those given above

Not disputing that it may be possible. Just pointing out that the example given in support of the concept did not work.

I do however wonder to what extent it does on a regular basis outside LHR. Reading it, and regularly using MAN, my first thought was that those headline prices for a weeks parking including a hotel looked excessive vs direct parking.

• Alex W says:

If you don’t need a hotel then it’s unlikely to be worth it. If you need a hotel anyway then it can be a no brainer.

• Not to mention this hotel itself can often be booked for around £50 so often it may be cheaper to arrange both separately if both required.

• Alex W says:

Don’t forget to factor in earning hotel points on the whole rate if you include the parking in the hotel booking. This can be enough to tip the balance especially if chasing a promotion.

• Lady London says:

I have found a couple of hotel managers were very accommodating when approached about parking when I was returning regularly. Hardly any cost at all for stays 1-5 days.

4. Shoestring says:

As it happens I was motivated to book several ‘distant’ parking reservations this week because my wife is going to Hamburg to see a friend next weekend and LHR meet & greet parking turned out pretty high so close to flight, though codes brought it down a lot. Not going to pay a premium on the others etc etc.

Pleasantly surprised how cheap it turned out to be, using the MSE discount —> Holiday Extras plus dropping it into that site for some more discount. All good – 2x summer hols meet & greet bookings @Drivefly LHR, 1x Oct half term meet & greet Drivefly LHR, 1x Xmas meet & greet Drivefly LHR. More expensive per day: Bristol official parking (long term is 3-5 mins walk from terminal) or for a little bit more, they have a new multi storey carpark adjoining the terminal – but with codes, still perfectly acceptable per day, obvs here Bristol Airport has a monopoly on ‘close’ parking – but given the convenience of closeness, worth paying a small premium vs the competition.All cancellable for a small fee (about £1.50). I checked out quite a few competitors but my combo above was cheaper.

• Lady London says:

Do you like Bristol airport Shoestring? How does it compare to SOU?

• Shoestring says:

Bristol Airport is obvs on the small to medium side & must be one of the best in the UK to use – brand new attractive terminal https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article5494068.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/Bristol-Airport.jpg with all the official parking options right outside or a quick bus hop away (Silver Zone) – as I said above, not as cheap parking as LHR but not exorbitant either if you use a code. There are loads of unofficial parking options but I wouldn’t recommend them unless money is really tight and your time unimportant. Last time I flew (peak hols), the airport was recommending *3 hrs* check in before your flight and sure enough there was a long queue for security, but not as bad as 3 hrs might imply. Inside the terminal it’s easy to navigate with plenty of snack / drinks/ shops opps. Can’t comment on lounges as I’ve not used them though HfP covered a while back.

Summary: very pleasant airport to use with no bad traffic issues to think about getting there if you approach driving in from the south or west – DON’T try to get to it through Bristol city during 8am-7pm or allow another hour. I once fairly recently connected to the GWR train line down to Cornwall (ie shuttle from the airport to the city centre to catch the train) and that was painless.

• Lady London says:

Thanks Shoestring. Tx especially for the tip about direction to come in to avoid Bristol traffic.

• the_real_a says:

Does the Airport Tavern Parking still exist? Still have many happy memories of starting my day in a muddy fields and dodgy transit minibus 🙂 Still is was ridiculously cheap and my car was always left where i parked it!

• Shoestring says:

Bristol? No idea! I used to use the airport a lot in mid 90s, when you’ll probably remember terminal & facilities were on the primitive side but at least parking was cheap & easy 🙂

Think – big shed of a building in the corner of a very rough old parking lot

• Bergerac still like that, but with a few sofas outside to have a coffee while waiting etc..get off the plane beside a field…and enter the shed…

5. Michael C says:

I was previously doing the hotel+parking, but with the amazing prices & locations of JustPark, I use them almost exclusively now.

6. Nick M says:

Semi related – we’ve only flown from LHR or LGW in recent years… looking at a flight probably from Stanstead (or possibly Luton) in October and will need a hotel and parking – are there any other chains that are best to look at?

• Lady London says:

IHG has come up with best deal in quite a few places for me. Always worth calling hotel as sometimes the chain level deals are more expensive.

7. MAN prices are horrific this year. We paid £55 for 3 weeks in August last year, this year every single provider is quoting over £100. Park and stay packages are astronomical and don’t go beyond 15 days.

• Shoestring says:

Even using MSE discount portal —> Holiday Extras —> that site for extra discount?

• Qwerty Bertie says:

Why wouldn’t you just park at the nearest free on-street parking and transfer to minicabs?

• Because residents have been known to get very unhappy about this…

• Lady London says:

and as Anna may be hinting, the unhappiness of residents may be expressed a number of ways if your car is sitting there.

• ChrisC says:

because it’s anti social

How would you feel if someone parked outside your house for a couple of weeks who dosn’t live in the area?

Not happy I bet!

• Qwerty Bertie says:

F that! I have as much right as they do, and arguably more with my road tax. Anti-social indeed, what a lot of nonsense. Let’s have it right, parking a car on an unrestricted public road is not anti-social; vandalism of it would be.

To answer your question I couldn’t care less. I could fit about eight cars on my front curtilage, but we have three going down to two soon. If we ever get a ninth car I’ll let you know, but I believe in live & let live anyway. Public road is fair game, whether outside my house or yours.

In any event, there are plenty of such roads that aren’t just made up of small terraced houses full of jealous territorial thugs. Be inventive, go a couple of miles further out than those bitterness hotspots, and park parallel to a non-descript, non residential building.

• Shoestring says:

Indeed, it’s the vehicle tax that allows you to park anywhere you jolly well like on public roads in the UK (where legal) – and I bet half those car scratching scum never paid theirs in the first place 🙂

• Lady London says:

I had a *it like you deliberately remove a one-space barrière and 2 signs saying please keep free- House move today outside my house on moving day, park their car there (not from the area) and walk off for 6 hours. I ran out and explained removal van was 10 minutes away and politely requested him not to remove the signs. Résult: van could not park in thé street. Move delayed 8 hours.

Thé selfish *it knew he was a s*it. As he returned to his car he made sure to check the ground in front of his rear tyres for nails that might have been placed there, deservedly, for his exit. Clearly hé knew hé was a sh*t as well. I didnt know that trick, but thanks to him i do now.

Was that you @Qwerty Bertie?

• ChrisC says:

you sound an absolute joy to know. No consideration for your fellow man

Paying ‘road tax’ (an incorrect term anyway) gives you no rights to park at all. Not even on the public road in front of your house.

• Shoestring says:

hang on, Qwerty Bertie said to park next to a non-residential building! 🙂

• Freddy says:

I keep on seeing Rob insisting his readers are sophisticated city slickers but the comments suggest otherwise. Just pay for a secure car park for your blasted car! Stick the transaction on your amex card and get some points the easy way. Thought I had stumbled upon money saving expert or summat

• We have 30,000 daily readers and about 50 people provide 95% of the comments ….

• Qwerty Bertie says:

It’s rather like politics. The city slickers tend to be the silent majority, whereas I’m in the vocal minority that is prepared to park on the public road and take a minicab to save £50.

That said, a lot of people with a bit of money have ended up having it due to a lifetime of such miserly tactics. I knew a middle-aged lady who lived in a flat above the Harvey Nichols car park, worth a few million, who in 2006 was running her mother’s three-bar standalone heater from the 70’s.

• Lady London says:

That’s why I try not to use on-airport car parks.

• Louise says:

if you press the button and say you plane was delayed then someone might take pity (has happened to me)

• Qwerty Bertie says:

This a reply to your previous post, to which I couldn’t find a reply link.

I don’t understand your logic. Why do you think that because I’m prepared to park in an empty space on an unrestricted road, I would move road furniture out of the way to do so which clearly indicates that particular space is needed for a designated operation such as a house move?

That’s like saying because I have a right to take any empty trolley stored outside the supermarket, I would instead take your empty trolley inside in one of the aisles whilst you’re fetching your first item…which of course I would not. There’s a difference between fair game and being a git, and the point you made is silly.

My wife is like Chris C; when she sees a car parked on the road outside our house she moans. I tell her to mind her own business, and remind her it’s not doing us any harm. If they’d parked in a manner blocking our crossover then yes, I’d moan, but if all they are doing is parking on public road outside so what? The public road is there. Live and let live.

Anybody who has a problem with a random car parking outside their house should build a driveway, if it is affecting their own parking habits, or they could petition the council to create parking restrictions, or perhaps they could even learn to mind their own business!

• Qwerty Bertie says:

Yes Chris C, I’m well aware of what you raised in your point regarding parking rights; I am more familiar than most with the applicable legislation. I was referring to a de facto right that exists in practice, and as I’m sure you well know it is very rare indeed for any vehicle owner whose car is taxed to be penalised for parking in a sensible manner on an unrestricted road!

• Qwerty Bertie says:

“And make sure you know how much extra charge could be involved if your return is delayed.”

You wouldn’t need to worry about that if you followed my suggested style of parking! :p

• Freddy says:

You’d just worry whether your car has been scratched, keyed, wing mirror clipped off, stolen, set on fire all to save £50 – doesn’t sound great

• Mr Dee says:

Use just park

8. gnarlyoldgoatdude says:

Does anywhere do a park-and-stay package instead of a stay-and-park.

I often need the hotel for my arrival back on a late flight, rather than for a departure on an early flight.

• Lady London says:

Some do. It’s not the most common way round but I have found a couple of hotels were willing to do it when i asked them.

• Holiday Extras allow you to book stay before or after parking or both.

• Pierre says:

Hilton does it if you ask

• TGLoyalty says:

If the parking is onsite at the hotel then you can usually park either way. Before or after.

• RussellH says:

Never had a problem with this.
      If necessary, book the room first, then phone the hotel.

9. OT Does anyone know if Curve cards have an account number and sort code, or is Revolut the only way? And top it up via curve?

Thanks

• Alex W says:

No account number for curve. Revolut can be topped up without using curve.

10. I can see IHG quotes for hotel plus eg 15 days – but is there anywhere that it outlines what the parking arrangements are – ie leave the car at the hotel, park in an official car park or have them rag it around London?

• Lady London says:

Onepark tells you about that stuff for each place online before you book and its generally accurate.

11. Matthew says:

Talking of Curve…can you still do a cash withdrawal onto Lloyds Avios card and be treated as a purchase or have they switched to a cash transaction like Tesco? Thanks..