BA sale

Hilton launches an India sale

Hilton has launched a dedicated sale for its hotels in India.  I think this is the first time we’ve ever seen an Indian-focused sale promoted heavily in the UK.

Until 10am on 17th May you can get up to 25% off the Best Flexible or Bed & Breakfast rate at selected hotels.

Included are for example the Conrad Pune and the Conrad Bengaluru (pictured below).

The sale website is here.

conrad bengaluru

As we always say with Hilton sales ….. basing the ‘25% saving’ on the Best Available Bed & Breakfast rate is not exactly fair. Sale rates are non refundable so it is cheeky to compare them to a refundable rate.  That said, these deals do usually offer a saving on the ‘advanced purchase’ price. Full pre-payment needs to be made at time of booking.

These rates are available for stays until 31st December 2019 and you must book at least 3 days in advance.

How to earn Hilton Honors points via UK credit cards

As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Hilton Honors points from UK credit cards.  Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses!

Do you know that holders of The Platinum Card from American Express receive FREE Hilton Honors Gold status for as long as they hold the card?  It also comes with Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold, Shangri-La Golden Circle Jade and Melia Rewards Gold status.  We reviewed American Express Platinum in detail here.

Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Hilton Honors points.  That page is regularly updated with the latest special offers and will still be accurate even if you are reading this article months after publication.

Get £50 off Virgin Atlantic Premium to the US
BEST BONUS EVER: Get 12,000 to 30,000 sign-up miles with the Virgin Atlantic credit cards!

Comments

1. Alec says:

Hi Rob,

BA started a sale last night. Until 21st May and Holiday bookings made before May 7 have an extra £100 off. Was hoping you’d have a write up about any potential sweet spots.

Thanks

2. HiFly have an exSQ a380 but ISTR them having issues with it.

3. OT as bits: If I’ve booked the outbound leg using a 241 when the return shows up on the BA site, is it better to book it online immediately (I have the Avios) and then call BA within 24hrs to join it to my 241, refunding my Avios or risk calling the CS. It’s for JBurg and I know reward seats on that route go quick.

• Matt says:

It’s your preference. Both options work.

• Genghis says:

I’d try both. My last one return from CPT I was on the phone to US but failed to get through (turns out from discussion with UK in the morning there were serious problems in the US centre that evening) so I booked online and sorted it out in the morning. All good.

• Thanks Matt and Genghis. Definitely don’t want to be on a call and hear they’re gone. If it was a less popular route, i’d risk it. Thanks again.

• Anna says:

I’m in a similar position. If I call the UK call centre at 1 am, who will I get through to? There was some suggestion recently that they actually work 24/7 even though they have stated opening times during business hours.

• Spurs Debs says:

Think you need to call USA or Japan call centre numbers at 1am?

• john says:

Japan is only monday-friday so will be closed if you try and ring it tonight. US number will be open. My brother rang a few weeks ago on the US number via Skype and got through to someone in the UK who was able to hold the seats at 1am and then add them to the booking. Call before 1am as you want to get through and explain what you want to do and the route and flight numbers etc so they are ready to do it at 1am!

4. Bagoly says:

*IF* the Wikipedia entries are up to date, then several of those ‘planes have fewer premium seats than Norwegian 787s, although only a few so and the cabin probably does not often sell out completely.
    But the Evelop Airlines A330-300s are listed as having only Economy!

• RedEyeDonkey says:

It’s pretty rough if you’re in that spot and lose a premium seat to economy on Norwegian. A colleague had that happen and they had all kinds of problems like… no food because he didn’t preorder which ofc he didn’t because he’d expected to be in premium. They decided who was getting bumped really last minute too so he couldn’t make alternative arrangements. I’d avoid until things settle down regardless of the ‘value’ which is questionable now anyway with the awesome TAP dealzzzzzzzzzz for real biz.

5. I’ve heard of all those airlines subbing for Norwegian! They’re all established ACMI carriers.

6. I’ve asked this question before but it keeps getting deleted… I can’t seem to find ones that have a £2.50 per month premium. @Shoestring, any clues?!

• Yes, he should try £10k for mortgage, got me £1.32 and £1.64 and I’m in my 50s already.
      @Alex, exactly. Also they pay for contents only which is unusual. Many HFPers appear to stay in flats. But watch the premiums.

• Shoestring says:

They don’t care – the stipulation seems to be that your total life ins is under £750K. Not that you’re guaranteed more than one payout, but we shall see. Hardly going to break the bank if not – cheap ins cover in the interim.

7. Concerto says:

HiFly (Portugal) is AWFUL, and Wamos Air (Spain) not much better. I’ve been on both, to be avoided.
    Are we likely to see another Hilton European sale anytime soon?

8. OT: The 1000 bonus for clubcard autoconvert to Virgin is back, sign up by 16 June.

• Thanks.

• Grimz says:

If you sign up for auto convert they won’t convert the vouchers you already have in your Tesco cc account do they?

• _nate says:

If you sign up for auto-convert, does it apply this only to new vouchers, or does it send your whole balance across in the first batch?

• Shoestring says:

Just new.

I’d hang back until the 5th May, as that is when this quarter’s vouchers get finalised.

9. Mark2 says:

OT
    On Tuesday we are flying to Vancouver in F on an A380 in our first flight from T3.
    Can I assume that we shall board from one of the gates past the lounge or do we have to go on a train like T5?

• John says:

There are no trains in T3. The A380 gates are 1,3,5,7 (about 5 mins walk from CX/QF lounges) and 40,42 (about 10-15 mins walk from CX/QF lounges).

• Gin and Tonic Please says:

Nice! Use the Cathay Pacific lounge instead of BA. MUCH nicer!

10. Shoestring says:

I’m just messing about with my wife’s flight to Germany tonight. She’s got a window with nobody next to her (I grabbed that last night) but is stuck in the back third of the plane – only got carry on luggage. She didn’t want an aisle seat last night and I could move her up to 7E but she doesn’t like middles – so all good except stuck down the back.

I just noticed that her check-in options to move up the plane ever since T-24 have been rubbish compared to what I normally see going out on Avios to our place in the sun.This is a BA flight but booked with the IB90K points thru Iberia.

Has anybody else ever noticed that no-status people travelling on BA with IB Avios get treated worse in terms of seats available to change to than when they book thru BA?

• John says:

No but it looks like lots of people are going to Germany for the weekend

• Anna says:

I think they just treat you like that if you refuse to pay for your seats in advance, like us! On our last CE flight we were allocated rows 1, 4 and 7 – though my 13 year old was quite chuffed to get 1B and unchivalrously refused to give it up for me 😂

11. At least one of the Wamos A330’s is the ex Monarch. Complete with random old LH slopey business class seats in the front. It still had Monarch cabin divider/galley curtains in it last year when it flew for Norwegian ex Gatwick to New York JFK.

• _nate says:

Does the airline substitution affect in-flight service, baggage allowance or anything else?