Virgin Atlantic Sale

Get 300 free RED by Dufry points in 30 seconds

We did a long piece yesterday on RED by Dufry, the loyalty scheme which covers the duty free stores at 27 UK airports – plus Eurostar and Eurotunnel – as well as many other European airports.  You can read it here.

As was pointed out in the comments, you can get 300 free RED by Dufry points by simply adding the promo code RED300POINTS to your account.

Open the app, click ‘My Profile’ in the top right corner, click ‘My Profile’, scroll down to ‘Promotional code’ and add RED300POINTS.  Importantly, you must then scroll down to the bottom of the page to click ‘Save Changes’.

The 300 points go on instantly.  You can’t exchange these for anything but you are moved closer to Gold status which usually requires 2,000 points.

Get 300 free RED by Dufry points in 30 seconds

There is confusion over Avios earning

There is some confusion over whether you do now earn Avios for purchases made outside Spain. The restrictive wording on the Iberia Plus website is no longer there, and the addition of US chain Hudson to the list of Dufry brands which earns Avios made me think it was now global.

If you look at the terms of the Avios offer on the Spanish Dufry site, however, it implies that this is only a Spanish offer.

I would trust the T&Cs over the Iberia website, so you should assume that I was wrong in the original version of the article yesterday and that Avios earning is not yet global.  Sorry for any inconvenience.

EXCLUSIVE: Big changes to American Express Platinum on the way (including a metal card and higher fee!)
New Hyatt - the Hyatt Centric Murano - opens in Venice

IHG Sale

Comments

1. BrotherBear says:

On a flight that is likely to be busy and one which we need to be on, is there any benefit to paying £12 to choose a seat in terms of that stopping any risk of us being bumped off the flight eg due to overbooking?

Thanks

• BrotherBear says:

Also, would we be able to check in at that point and download boarding passes?

• Genghis says:

I assume BA? Paying for a seat does not guarantee you’ll be on the flight. Even those with seats can only check in 24 hours before and download boarding passes.

• BrotherBear says:

Yes BA.

So only way to “guarantee” a seat is to get the boarding pass issued at 24 hours before the flight?

Was told by a friend of a friend that paying for seats would lessen the chances of being bumped off the flight.

• That doesn’t guarantee you a seat either, to be honest. ‘Last to check in’ is NOT how BA chooses who to kick off.

• BrotherBear says:

Thanks Genghis / Rob

So if we are not fussed about where we sit, there is no benefit to choosing seats before the 24 hour mark and best to just check in as soon as possible although no 100% guarantees about being safe from being moved?

• Genghis says:

Put it this way, if I didn’t have status on BA I wouldn’t pay to reserve seats

• Shoestring says:

Paying to reserve a seat isn’t that useful – but checking in @T-24 is your best guarantee of getting on the plane. Not an absolute guarantee but the best you’ll get.

Once 100% of seats have been taken ie checked in to, you’re in a very poor position.

• BrotherBear says:

Thanks all.

Off to the champions league final so want to make sure we get there ok.

COYS

• Shoestring says:

What’s your flight – route? operator?

if it’s BA to Madrid there are a couple of tricks you might want to use

• BrotherBear says:

Is BA to Bilbao. Back is Vueling but less fussed about the return.

• Shoestring says:

OK. When you check in @T-24, don’t print off your boarding pass or get the PDF, just say collect at airport (for now). This leaves you free to keep checking for a better seat, eg a window further up the plane if that’s what you like. The seat availability is dynamic and changes by the second/ minute so you can check again regularly and move yourself to a better seat. Not possible if you print/ PDF your boarding pass as this finalises your check in.

Arrive at the airport early and go to the BA self check in machines, do it. View/ change seat option. This gives you a view of all the free seats remaining (you often don’t get to see these otherwise) including Exit seats, which you can now choose for free (instead of £24). You can actually do this @T-24 if you are close to an airport with BA self check in machines.

• Shoestring says:

and good to see a fellow Spurs supporter, that’s one of my teams what I support

• One of? Bit of a glory hunter are we? 😉

• BrotherBear says:

Thank you.

We are due a bit of fortune so fingers crossed.

2. Interesting OT:

Quantas to trial a redemption-only flight, a one off a380 from Sydney to Tokyo on which no cash tickets to be sold

• Memesweeper says:

Wow. Are you reading this BA? You shift planes around for operational reasons all the time! Just drop a crew onboard and let us freeloaders join in the journey 🙂

• I don’t believe they are sending a plane to Tokyo for operational reasons to be honest.

I suggested this to Eurostar once as a marketing idea, running a special Paris weekend trip out Fri / back Sun just for members.

BA is refurbishing its 777 fleet in Singapore so in theory they do a redemption flight down there once a month!

• Danny says:

Cathay Pacific has also been doing redemption only flights to from Hong to Kong to Japan (Sapporo) recently.

• Mikeact says:

It’s a pretty long way to start for us to hop on board from the UK , unfortunately!

3. OT @Rob, without breaking any confidence are you able to tell us if there is still more to come from amex or is today’s news the end of it?

4. BSI1978 says:

Stayed at that hotel on Murano back in 2016; absolutely loved it and at the time they arranged complimentary pick up and return in one of their 2 boats, and you could also arrange travel to the main island if you pre-booked with the front desk.

Given what some of the other operators were charging for boat rides, this was exceptional value (IMO) and it was honestly no issue not being on the main island. If anything it was nice getting away from the mid-August mania and heat to somewhere which was a bit more chilled out and quiet.

Surprised to read it has undergone a refurb – recall it being in pretty good nick at the time.

5. OT: Not sure if it is new or ongoing but there’s 2500 clubcard points available for new combined home insurance policies at Tesco Bank through 28/2/20.

• Spurs Debs says:

Think the current promotion for that finishes 16/5/2019 …. so it must be extended.

• Louise says:

I did this and mine paid out fairly quickly

6. Harry says:

OT @Rob or anyone who has appealed a refusal for the VS cards in writing.

In your article on the Virgin Atlantic Cards, you suggest sending a letter to the Virgin Money office in Gosforth, Newcastle. However, in my email about the refusal from VS they refer to an address in London. Can anyone confirm which address they have sent a letter to and received a reply?

Thanks for the help.

• Jubilee House is the one that I have been giving out and which seems to work. Whether they simply scan your letter and email it to London is a different question!

7. Shoestring says:

Tesco vouchers are in!

You can now safely enrol for free 1000 Virgin miles autotip

• Genghis says:

Can safely enrol day after collection period. I did.

• Any idea if multiple club card accounts can feed multiple bonuses to one Virgin account?

• I think so. It’s been two year or so since I did to Avios and last year I did it for hotels.com. The way I did it was a) select the main account for exchange b) note down all the voucher codes from other accounts c) select value for exchanging vouchers on the main account (this is the total of all vouchers from all the accounts you wish to exchange). You first use up all the vouchers on the main account and then it will tell you how much is left to pay. There is a box to add vouchers manually and here you need to add one by one the vouchers from other accounts. I am not sure if this will work if accounts are registered at different addresses. Mine are all on the same.

• Thanks, I guess my parents may have to move in with me for a short time to help me sort out my rocket pack avios 🙂

8. Waddle says:

OT:
    When paying to transfer Avios through BA using BAPP, does it come through as a ba.com purchase earning 3 per £?

• Genghis says:

No. Points.com

• Fairly certain it will go through as points.com.

And I hope you’ve got a good excuse for paying to transfer as it isn’t a great idea!

9. I realise I’m very late to the party on this one, but when I try to get the referral code from my RED app under “my profile”, there’s no code – it’s just blank. I’ve tried shutting it down and opening it up again – has anyone got any better ideas?
    Thanks all! This article is perfectly timed for my various Iberia flights in a couple of weeks Rob!

10. Boreas says:

My RED app worked and I was able to link it with Dragonpass.

On the Dragonpass app it specifically says ‘excl. Guest’ and ‘visits can be used by the cardholder only’.

A real pity if so, and the restriction seems publicly clear.

I guess it is a complete non-starter to buy two cardholder passes for myself and a guest?

• Shoestring says:

What Dragonpass app is that? Connected with Barclays Travel Plus Pack or not?

With the latter, I printed 4x DP lounge passes (ie 4 of my annual 6) and 4 of us got into the lounge together. Then I used the other 2 in one go as well.

• Why not just open another RED account in the name of your guest and buy a pass via that account?

11. @mkcol says:

OT: I have a standard economy Avios redemption flight booked with BA to Innsbruck.

Is it normal to be offered a cash upgrade to Club for £89? Yes cash only, no additional Avios.