Bits: earn Avios referral bonuses from Monese, the joys of doing live TV, last day to buy Marriott points with 25% bonus

News in brief:

Earn Avios referring friends to Monese

You may remember our coverage of Monese, the online banking app with a particular niche in the expat community due to its ability to instantly open accounts in 20 countries.  No proof of address is required and no credit checks take place.

Last December, Avios Group made a surprise investment in the company and in February Monese updated their app to allow users to link their Avios account to their Monese account and see their Avios balance, spending and earning.

The Monese-Avios partnership appears to be deepening.  Monese has just announced a new Avios incentive for its usersYou will now earn up to 1,500 Avios for every friend you refer to Monese.  The amount you earn depends on the level of account you hold:

Monese Premium users get 1,500 Avios for each friend they refer (remember a premium account has a monthly fee of £14.95)

Plus (£4.95 monthly fee) account holders: 750 Avios per friend referred

Starter (free) account holders: 250 Avios per friend referred

The bonus is triggered when the person who is referred makes their first transaction with their Monese card.

The bonus does not change depending on what type of account is opened, so it is possible for Premium users to earn 1,500 Avios by referring your partner or friends to the free Starter account.  You can read full details on the Monese website here and you can download the app to join here.

Earn Avios referring friends to Monese

The joys of doing live TV

(EDIT: we have HFP readers everywhere, and I have now got my hands on a copy of this interview. If I decide it is fit for sharing I’ll run it!)

I was planning to do an article this week linked to a TV interview I did on Friday for BBC World News on ‘Talking Business with Aaron Heslehurst’.  However, it turns out that you can’t get BBC World News on catch-up anywhere so I can’t show you the clip.

It also means that I am never going to see the clip either! (It IS on catch-up on Tata Sky in India, if anyone has a log-in to share …..)

This is a shame, because it got a bit complicated when they put up a picture of the current Virgin Upper Class seat and announced it as the new one and then asked me what I thought of it 🙂  Given that we were broadcasting live the potential for disaster was high but I think we dealt with it!  Luckily the picture of the new BA Club Suite that went up next was the right one.

I think it went well.  An earlier remote guest was cancelled due to technical problems so we got to chat for longer than was originally planned, and Aaron is a big aviation fan.  I’ll never know, however …..

Head for Points on Talking Business with Aaron Heslehurst

25% discount if you buy Marriott Bonvoy points

Today is your last day to get a discount when you buy Marriott Bonvoy points.

Via this page of the website, you will save 25% on all points purchases until tonight, Wednesday 15th May.

You can buy up to 50,000 points per year, which will cost you $468.75 (£360) under this offer.

My rule of thumb is that a Marriott Bonvoy point is worth 0.5p so this offer is not great at 0.72p per point.

However, you might find it worthwhile if:

you are topping off your account before making a points booking, or

you are planning a stay at a property where you know you will get outsized value

The snag with Marriott Bonvoy is that the annual points buying cap is too low to allow you to exploit the deal.  The St Regis New York, for example, can easily run to $1,300 per night including taxes, which makes 85,000 Marriott Bonvoy points a great deal.  The problem is that you can only buy 50,000 points per year.

The link to buy is here if you are interested.

How to earn Marriott Bonvoy points via UK credit cards

As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Marriott Bonvoy points from UK credit cards.  Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses!  Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Marriott Bonvoy points.

Amex does you a favour by dropping Membership Rewards redemptions for goods
Excellent Christmas & New Year USA fares from £1,061 on BA/AA/IB from France & Germany

Comments

1. Inconsiderate Practical Joke says:

@Lady London

I apologise for using your “Screen Name”

It was simply a joke, didn’t mean to cause you any distress or harm. Sorry!

2. OT – travelling from Toronto to Dublin and have Amex Plat with Priority Pass. Will be travelling with teenagers (16 and 13) was wondering if anyone had recommendations on which lounge would be more suited to them?

I appear to have the choice of Plaza Premium or Air France/KLM.

Any recommendations gratefully received.

• Michael says:

Plaza Premium are generally quite good – I’d google both and do your own comparison though as they’re quite niche lounges for a UK blog like this one.

• Yes but I though I’d give it a shot. There’s some well travelled people on here. Normally it wouldn’t bother me but if one has something teens would go for I would take that over the other.

Thanks for replying!

3. Stella64 says:

Can someone explain what the difference is between the personal Plat and the business Plat in terms of the hotel status? Thanks.

4. Wongster says:

Hi folks,

This is probably a routine query that gets asked often. I currently have an Amex BA blue with just 2 months remaining to the anniversary date. Have spent slightly over £10k on it, if I were upgrade to BAPP now, would I get the companion voucher immediately? and then do I have to pay another set of £195 in a few months’ time when the new year starts?

Also how do I best upgrade my BAPP? by phone request or applying online?

Thanks!

5. Eric the Half a Bee says:

O/T – Prices announced for ‘PremiAir’ terminal at MAN: £50 for departure inc. private security & transfer to plane or £100 to include lounge access. £125 for arrivals package inc. luggage delivered to terminal. £225 for full outbound/inbound package.

• I need to be in Manchester in October to take my daughter to a concert so I am seriously tempted to fly back to London and try this out. We might also be able to wangle a review. Given the state of Manchester I consider it a fair price!

• Eric the Half a Bee says:

I agree, it sounds like a considerable improvement over the current (miserable) experience. I also am keen to try it out in September, but it is currently inviolable and no specific date is published.

• I’d be quite tempted if I was doing a trip without lounge access included and it was a special occasion but I’m just wondering if/when they will introduce peak period pricing!

6. The Lord says:

OT – Still no joy with Europcar £1 one way rentals. Was told last week that issue would be resolved in coming days but still not working.

7. Ernő says:

OT – does anybody know, how long does it take to upgrade Amex Gold charge to Platinum (using the infamous online link)? Would I have to wait for a new card and number, or is it an automatic switch on the same card number?

I was in two minds about upgrading next month, but I am likely to have a £1000+ bill to pay in a couple of days, so I thought it might be a nice and quick way to catch the 20k MR upgrade bonus, assuming the upgrade is quick enough…

Thanks

• Shoestring says:

You have to wait & it’s not an automatic upgrade, Amex reserve the right to credit check you or refuse you

New card/ number

but it’s pd quick, ie only a few days

8. OT – I’m flying Baku – Moscow – Dusseldorf – London at the end of the month.
    Landing in VKO at 9:40am and departing DME 12:40pm. Anyone have experience of transferring across and think I won’t make it?
    Thanks!

• illuminatus says:

I never did a transfer like that, but I do not think it’s feasible given the distance between the airports and Moscow traffic.

• Google maps says 1 hr drive. Make sure hand luggage only, checked in with boarding pass from Dme printed and Uber/Yandex taxi/wheely waiting for you upon arrival. Get front row seat on flight to vko. Jump queue on passport control both in vko and dme. If your incoming flight is not delayed you will be ok.

• the_real_a says:

Dumb question – but you do have the visa sorted to leave the airport?

9. @Rob, you should be able to get a copy of the interview if you contact whoever booked you at the BBC. It’s a pretty routine request.

10. Shoestring says:

O/T there’s a big Travelodge sale on at the mo, eg Heathrow £19+ on Fridays & lots around £30 mark

no special link

plenty there, I was checking it out yesterday

• Thanks Harry, OH will want to go to the Dive Show at the NEC in October so we’ll probably want somewhere cheap off the M6! I also finally took your recommendation for the life insurance, though I can’t quite believe they will give me £100 for this! Also used the site to get a £60 annual car hire excess policy as we won’t now be renewing Platinum, another £26 back. As someone said yesterday, you have to adapt with the game!

• Thanks Shoestring. The upgraded Travellodges make quite reasonable stays. Shame they don’t have a loyalty program.

• There’s also 15% off with the voucher code from codes.co.uk

11. Steve says:

OT- Miles&More card… when am I supposed to receive the Lufthansa business lounge voucher and how can I access it?

• Czechoslovakia says:

Do you mean the 50k Select Miles voucher? You can choose your Select miles gift on the website, once you’ve hit the Select miles target. Usually can choose between 3 gifts. Never chose the lounge voucher myself, but always got the voucher I requested by email immediately after selecting.
      The PPB voucher is ordered through the call center usually.

• Steve says:

No.. I mean UK Miles and More credit card… We are supposed to get one business lounge entry… when are we supposed to receive this and how?