BA sale

The joys of doing live TV, and your last day to buy Marriott points with 25% bonus

I was planning to do an article this week linked to a TV interview I did on Friday for BBC World News on ‘Talking Business with Aaron Heslehurst’.  However, it turns out that you can’t get BBC World News on catch-up anywhere so I can’t show you the clip.

(EDIT: we have HFP readers everywhere, and I have now got my hands on a copy of this interview. If I decide it is fit for sharing I’ll run it!)

This is a shame, because it got a bit complicated when they put up a picture of the current Virgin Upper Class seat and announced it as the new one and then asked me what I thought of it 🙂  Given that we were broadcasting live the potential for disaster was high but I think we dealt with it!  Luckily the picture of the new BA Club Suite that went up next was the right one.

I think it went well.  An earlier remote guest was cancelled due to technical problems so we got to chat for longer than was originally planned, and Aaron is a big aviation fan.  I’ll never know, however …..

Head for Points on Talking Business with Aaron Heslehurst

25% discount if you buy Marriott Bonvoy points

Today is your last day to get a discount when you buy Marriott Bonvoy points.

Via this page of the website, you will save 25% on all points purchases until tonight, Wednesday 15th May.

You can buy up to 50,000 points per year, which will cost you $468.75 (£360) under this offer.

My rule of thumb is that a Marriott Bonvoy point is worth 0.5p so this offer is not great at 0.72p per point.

However, you might find it worthwhile if:

you are topping off your account before making a points booking, or

you are planning a stay at a property where you know you will get outsized value

The snag with Marriott Bonvoy is that the annual points buying cap is too low to allow you to exploit the deal.  The St Regis New York, for example, can easily run to $1,300 per night including taxes, which makes 85,000 Marriott Bonvoy points a great deal.  The problem is that you can only buy 50,000 points per year.

The link to buy is here if you are interested.

How to earn Marriott Bonvoy points via UK credit cards

As a reminder, there are various ways of earning Marriott Bonvoy points from UK credit cards.  Many cards also have generous sign-up bonuses!

Do you know that holders of The Platinum Card from American Express receive FREE Marriott Bonvoy Gold status for as long as they hold the card?  It also comes with Hilton Honors Gold, Radisson Rewards Gold, Shangri-La Golden Circle Jade and Melia Rewards Gold status.  We reviewed American Express Platinum in detail here.

Click here to read our detailed summary of all UK credit cards which earn Marriott Bonvoy points.  That page is regularly updated with the latest special offers and will still be accurate even if you are reading this article months after publication.

Amex does you a favour by dropping Membership Rewards redemptions for goods
New - earn Avios referral bonuses from Monese

Comments

1. AndyGWP says:

OT – Are Ambassador free weekend certificates electronic yet? I’m seeing differing reports, and trying to figure out when best to signup (to maximise the 12 months I can use it)

• Czechoslovakia says:

I renewed in December and got sent a physical voucher in the renewal pack, however when logging in to the website, it says I have a voucher there too?!? Struggle to use even one anyhow…

• BlueHorizonuk says:

The electronic one is the same as the paper one so you don’t have two (unfortunately)

• Czechoslovakia says:

Never mind. But thanks anyway. Used this year’s voucher for a work trip!

• Young L says:

I too renewed in Dec last year and I have already used the paper cert. But the electric one is still showing.

• Many reports of this.

• BlueHorizonuk says:

Yes, I see it when I log into my account

• Czechoslovakia says:

You don’t happen to know when the 10% points rebate happens do you? Done a couple of redemptions since renewal and never got the rebate. Tia

• Craig says:

Only had one rebate so far which took 66 days!

• Rooster says:

When you renew it will count from the next 1st January, yes very confusing as was expecting it to count from the date of renewal but it seems Ambassador renewal goes from the Jan 1st

• Genghis says:

Not in my experience when I first renewed. The thing to watch out for is “new” bookings. i.e. you need to rebook existing bookings to get the 10% rebate. Points generally post 6-8 weeks after the stay, if at all, in which case I email [email protected] and they post straight away if you’ve waited 8 weeks.

• Robman says:

When using the IHG Rewards free night for spending £10k, what happens if you cancel a booking that you make? Do you lose the certificate or does it return to your account?

• Rooster says:

The free certificate may not get recredited automatically but if you contact support they will sort it.

@genghis yes important to rebook as well. Contact support about the renewal thing and they have said that he rebate applies only from the renewal date ie 1st of jan whether that is true or not I don’t know.

• Steve-B says:

Rebooking is not required in my experience when renewing an existing AMB membership, also confirmed to me by CS… but then again we know what IHG’s IT is like… may be safer option if redemption rooms are still available.

• rams1981 says:

Do redemption credits as ambassador come up as a separate line entry? Don’t think I’ve received any yet

2. Stoneman says:

Anyone else having troubling logging into the BA shopping portal?

• Yes – solved it by using another browser.

• Yes, no luck since yesterday afternoon. Anna – which browser worked, please?

• Chrome I think! I also get different browsers working (or not) depending on whether I use my laptop or desktop so I lose track of what I’ve done on which device lol.

• Thanks Anna. I don’t have Chrome, but Edge seems to working (Firefox wasn’t).

• Lloyd says:

I’m using Chrome and it’s not been working for the last couple of days.

3. Craig says:

OT: Just had a series of texts from BA about two flight changes. This was BA32-BA9996-BA28, no change of equipment it would seem just a change of callsign. I am booked in F and they changed our seats from 2A/3A to 2E/2F but I have managed to change them back. Very odd.

• Annabelle says:

I have had two recent texts and emails about ‘cancellations’ for flight HKG to LHR April 2020. Recent one today states Rebooked from BA 28 to BA32 exactly same Time 23.10 and still A380 I think. Strange….

• same here. they kept the same seats. Same time and everything, just a change in flight number.

• Charlieface says:

Technically if the flight number chnages it’s a cancellation and you can demand a full refund under EC261. You might have a hard time persuading them…

• Craig says:

Quite happy with my Avios First redemption paying only HKG charges thanks!!

• Annabelle says:

When are you travelling? Couldn’t see any first reward flights HKG-LHR

• Craig says:

Next year, booked at 1am T-355, didn’t expect to get F but didn’t hesitate when they were available.

4. Ammar says:

Ot – my client insists on booking via CFM for my UK hotel bookings. I am able to add my hotel loyalty details after wards. Just wondering if booking via a corporate travel agency is ok for qualifying stays for say the Marriott platinum challenge. You still settle your bill directly with th hotel at checkout so would presume so. Any data points helpful.

• Will be fine UNLESS your CTA is secretly buying rooms at discounts from bed banks and then marking them up massively to the Best Flex rate. If it is pay on departure that is very unlikely though.

5. OT – I have two offers from Harvey Nichols on my Amex Platinum:

Spend £100 get £30 back
    Spend £100 get £20 back

Has anyone spent £100 and discovered if both offers get triggered and you get £50 back?

6. Shoestring says:

British Airways/AA USA and Canada sale just started

get in quick if you want the best prices/ dates (book by 21st May)