Buy cheap Avios via Groupon Spain (again)

The Groupon ‘cheap Avios’ promotion in Spain, with Iberia Plus, is back again.  Click here for details.

The Avios are not a steal at these prices.  Prices have gone up except for the 35,000 Avios package which has come down by €10.

You should remember that BA is running a 50% bonus when you buy Avios at the momentclick here to buy – so the Iberia offer is only marginally cheaper and messier.  Groupon IS a better deal for very small quantities as you don’t pay the £15 handling fee that BA charges for buying direct.

GRoupon cheap Avios points

• 1,000 Iberia Plus Avios for €19 (1.67p)
  • 2,000 Iberia Plus Avios for €29 (1.27p)
  • 4,000 Iberia Plus Avios for €59 (1.29p)
  • 8,000 Iberia Plus Avios for €109 (1.2p)
  • 15,000 Iberia Plus Avios for €199 (1.16p)
  • 20,000 Iberia Plus Avios for €259 (1.14p)
  • 35,000 Iberia Plus Avios for €429 (1.08p)

You will need an Iberia Plus account to redeem your Groupon voucher, and you can then use ‘Combine My Avios’ to move them across to British Airways Executive Club.  Please remember that Iberia Plus accounts must be 90 days old before you can use ‘Combine My Avios’, so don’t open a new one specifically to take advantage of this deal.

Iberia launches a new luggage scanning app
Exclusive 48-hour competition: Win tickets to see Muse or Metallica at Etihad Stadium, Manchester

Comments

1. Howard says:

How do you change from Spanish to English?

• Peter K says:

That’s a complicated question involving remaining resident in Spain for a period of time (eg 6 months) and is different in different regions of Spain, plus lots of paperwork, proof of earnings etc.
      Unless you actually mean something different?

• Peter K says:

My mistake, I did from English to Spanish. But I’m sure similar rules apply the other way.
        If you mean on a website then use Chrome and have it translate for you. It’s not great but good enough.

2. Callum says:

I’ve taken a full sized suitcase (with full sized toiletries, missed by airport security in both Málaga and Madrid!) on a couple of Iberia flights and they didn’t bat an eyelid.

• Bagoly says:

If flying between those two airports, was it one of those small ‘planes where anything larger than fits under a seat does not fit in Overhead lockers either, and so they take even a 55*40*20 off to the hold?
      If so, I can understand why they let you get away with it.
      And a good tip for how to avoid paying for a checked baggage.

• Callum says:

No, it was a normal short haul plane (A320 or similar) and then a long haul plane.

I wouldn’t be too confident risking it again, but the fact they didn’t even question the size of the luggage (I missed check in and the desk told me to just go through) implies they aren’t too strict!

3. I’m still waiting for Groupon to post the 35,000 miles from the last promo (March) despite several emails and assurances that they are slowly clearing the backlog of issues surrounding these deals.

I won’t ever use them again, and I’d caution anyone else from doing the same.

4. Paul Quinn says:

I bought 35000 groupon for Iberia avios on 24th of march expecting the avios within a few weeks. After 3 weeks I contacted groupon to see why my avios hadn’t arrived. I have been contacting groupon on a weekly basis to try and get this sorted, but keep getting told that they are trying to determine the issue and I need to be patient. On three occasions I have been asked for screen shots of my Iberia account. I’m sure this against GDPR, but supplied at each request. They refuse to do a refund as they say groupon redeemed. Can anyone suggest the best way to proceed, whether to get my avios or a refund?

5. OT but about Spain/Avios: What to do if I registered with Vueling and was assigned a new Avios number which I don’t want. I can’t find a way to get rid of this number and add my old Avios number (from Avios.com days which I then used with FlyBe and Aer Lingus). Any tips? Not keen to call Spain on the phone…

• TGLoyalty says:

Avios website still has a chat feature? They were able to merge my account a while back

• You can have unlimited accounts. Until Flybe was shut, I had Vueling Club, AerClub and Flybe Avios accounts which all operated without issues.

6. Hmmm, my Iberia account is minus -45000 avios since moving them across last year with that promotion everyone knows about. Not quite sure how to handle this account now…

• There were some options listed here but none proved a 100% silver bulletin. Mine is “only” -1500 Avios but Iberia said ¡No! to my request to write off the negative balance

7. Antonio Lulic says:

No sign of my Avios from this promo yet. Contacted customer services.