Ignore Radisson’s 30% points rebate on airline mile transfers

Radisson Rewards is running a promotion to encourage you to transfer your points to airline miles.  You should ignore it.

As you can see on this page of their website, you will get a 30% points rebate if you transfer your points to miles before 26th May.

The transfer rate from Radisson Rewards to most airlines, including Avios, is 10:1. With this promotion, the rate is 7:1.  It still stinks.

I would value a Radisson Rewards points at 0.33p, and you can easily do better at peak times.  I generally value airline miles at 1p.

On the basis, a ‘fair’ ratio between Radisson Rewards and airline miles would be 3:1.  Since I accept that the scheme does not want to encourage you to transfer to airlines, since it costs them ‘real’ money, I would have accepted 5:1.

10:1, however, is a joke and 7:1 is only slightly better.  You are still giving up over 2p of free hotel room for 1p of airline miles.

This promotion isn’t even any use if you want to use up a small pile of Radisson Rewards points.  You are not getting a 30% discount …. you’re getting a 30% rebate.  If you have 6,000 points to use up, you will receive the standard 600 Avios but you’ll get 1,800 Radisson Rewards back later.  Which is useless, because you are trying to use them up!

If I still haven’t talked you out of it, the landing page is here.

Radisson Rewards transfer bonus to airline miles

Earning Radisson Rewards points via UK credit cards

As a reminder, you can earn Radisson Rewards points by converting Membership Rewards points earned from selected UK American Express cards.  These include:

American Express Preferred Rewards Gold – 10,000 Membership Rewards points (= 30,000 Radisson Rewards points) sign-up bonus

The Platinum Card from American Express – 30,000 Membership Rewards points (= 90,000 Radisson Rewards points) sign-up bonus

American Express Rewards credit card – up to 5,000 Membership Rewards points (= 15,000 Radisson Rewards points) sign-up bonus

It is worth noting that holders of The Platinum Card receive free Radisson Rewards Gold status for as long as they hold the card.  It also comes with Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold, Shangri-La Golden Circle Jade and Melia Rewards Gold status.  We reviewed American Express Platinum in detail here.

Membership Rewards points convert at 1:3 into Radisson Rewards points which is a very attractive rate.  The cards above all earn 1 Amex point per £1 spent on your card, which converts to 3 Radisson Rewards points.

Good KLM Business Class sale from UK (inc regional departures) from £1400
NEW: Earn Hilton Honors points with Lyft rides

Comments

1. Munch says:

OT Have 2000 points in my Melia Hotel account. Trying to transfer to Avios but keep getting the following error “com.solmelia.cats.Alert.CO_OPERATION_USED/Operation”. Anybody had any luck transferring small balances out.

• marcw says:

Are these your welcome points? Then you won´t be able to transfer them. Only hard core earned points can be converted into miles (or Avios). Promotiona points and purchased points cannot be transfferre.

2. OT. I have a one way flight booked with Tap next Feb: TFS-LIS-MAN

Due to a schedule change the LIS-MAN flight is now an illegal connection and departs prior to our arrival in LIS.

I’m not familiar with this scenario. Can anyone advise my options? A refund isn’t helpful since it is very expensive to rebook It’s a travel agent booking. Thanks

3. Got Marriott Titanium, any easy route to AA status through this collab?

4. Leafwarbler says:

OT: Am I being unreasonably miffed at IHG? I’m Platinum Ambassador and booked and paid for a Club room at an Intercontinental here in Canada at least 8 months ago. A bit early for checkin we hang around in the club lounge and eventually at 16:30 get the keys to the smallest, dingiest of the original room type booked. Armed with a welcome letter in French which thanks me for my loyalty and promises a room upgrade, I go down to reception and ask why I haven’t been upgraded. The answer is 1) there is no availability and 2) I’d booked a high grade of room already (?). I’m offered 10,000 points and a complimentary breakfast. I point out that breakfast is already complimentary in the club lounge and I’m then offered $75 f&b. Is that a good result? I’m still in the dingy room; they’ve had 8 months to ensure that an upgrade is available and I’m failing to see the point of paying for Ambassador status…..

• The upgrade should have been guaranteed, unfortunately the changes to AMB mean they can wriggle out of it by giving you 10k points instead, which is a terrible trade off, but saves them a fortune, especially on longer stays.

So no, it’s a terrible result, but about what you’re ‘entitled’ to, unfortunately. Paying for AMB, for me, is still just about worth it, as even when assigning a low value to the benefits, the free night cert and 15k points + 10% back on redemptions (on renewals, this doesn’t apply to new signups) is worth it.

• I say ‘saves them a fortune’, it saves them nothing really, as the cost to them giving you a different room is marginal. But they can then sell that higher room, which they should have given to you at the lower rate (which you paid for the original room type).

• Sundar says:

Would emailing the hotel/program in advance and asking for a guaranteed upgrade help ? Maybe YMMV but thinking of possibilities…

• Defo YMMV, but I’ve done this in Canada, and they’ve been able to confirm what I’ll be upgraded to beforehand, which is nice. I tend to do this to determine whether I’ve got a shot at club access on the cheap 😂

• Graham Walsh says:

Try complaining via Twitter

5. Shoestring says:

Oh dear! Shopper Points fecks up admirably by not running the handsome cheap Nectar points weekend story!

6. He’s never taken nectar seriously because he focusses on fixed price redemptions as opposed to ease of collection. Tesco mobile apart, I have found nectar much more lucrative than clubcard of late given I’m patient to with for 1p on LNER.

7. Grant says:

OT – Bonvoy

My wife has the ‘earn up to two free night awards’ promotion on her account so we want to do a couple of mattress runs to take advantage – the rewards will come in handy for more expensive stays in the summer hols. If my wife makes the bookings can I then go and do the run without her? Presumably there is a way to add my name when making the booking so I can check in without her being present – ‘she’s arriving later’?

• Usually works, yes. Take her credit card in case they insist on seeing the payment card used. It may even be a hotel with mobile check-in, so you can bypass the desk and check-in online – BUT you should still turn up and enter the room. The hotel knows when the door has not been activated.

• Got same offer, two nights at Moxy Heathrow for around £40 will do. Booked two nights at Lucerne this summer exceeding £300 per night.

8. Note that the Hilton/Lyft tie-up requires permission to share data between both (so Hilton will be able to see when you use lyft to/from other hotels) – not necessarily an issue, just need to be aware it’s happening.

For me it’s a great way to ensure Hilton points don’t die (many of my corporate bookings are non-earning so there’s always a risk).